Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Everton Brow Views

Quote Originally Posted by A.D.Williams View Post
    Like poof, ***** and ponce?

Hmmm! How did we get here from Everton Brow (I lived in a flat off there for a short while as a teenager - Fox Street). Regarding the labels, the difference is that between achieved and ascribed status - whether one is defined by yourself or by others. A person who engages in homosexual activity, for example, may define themselves as gay whilst others may define them as poofs and ponces - a successful outcome for those concerned is when others have come to refer to you by your achieved status. The alternative strategy is to take ownership of the term that others define you by as with blacks and the word n!gger (no longer seen as acceptable to be used by whites).

Personally I don't like the use of labels at all as the tend to define a person by only one aspect of themselves.

A.D.Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Hmmm! How did we get here from Everton Brow (I lived in a flat off there for a short while as a teenager - Fox Street). Regarding the labels, the difference is that between achieved and ascribed status - whether one is defined by yourself or by others. A person who engages in homosexual activity, for example, may define themselves as gay whilst others may define them as poofs and ponces - a successful outcome for those concerned is when others have come to refer to you by your achieved status. The alternative strategy is to take ownership of the term that others define you by as with blacks and the word n!gger (no longer seen as acceptable to be used by whites).
    Personally what people do in the privacy of their own homes is no business of mine.

Let's get this topic back on track and no more talk of gayness.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D.Williams View Post
    Let's get this topic back on track and no more talk of gayness.

I second that!

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Alot the kids use it to mean the same, if they don't like something, 'it's gay', unfortunately.
    You'd be amazed at how times I've been told I'am Gay! To be honest, I thought it was a Northumbrian thing rather than a national slang word (haven't heard it since I moved)
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

I should ride up there sometime.

It's only up the road from the boxing gym, so it wouldn't take that long to get there.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I should ride up there sometime.

It's only up the road from the boxing gym, so it wouldn't take that long to get there.
    Yeh, must take a walk around there meself. What was the name of the pub that used to be at the bottom of Everton Brow on the corner of Soho Street?

Maybe one of the Dave's have a picture of it.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Was it the Pontack?
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Yeh, must take a walk around there meself. What was the name of the pub that used to be at the bottom of Everton Brow on the corner of Soho Street?
    That was the Soho Arms.

I was right.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Was it the Pontack?
    I think it may actually have been the Soho Arms. Never mind it was a lot of years ago - but if you're out there somewhere Silvia, I haven't forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    That was the Soho Arms.

Sad to see it in that state.

That pic looks so sad.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Was it the Pontack?
    The Pontack's a detective agency now. I attended a ceremony there in Feb 2005 to unveil the new plaque (the previous one was stolen!) commemorating the history of Liverpool's Little Italy.
    I done a set of pics for The Friends of Liverpool Monuments. Here's a couple of them. Sebo's in one of the pics yet again!

Affordable homes planned as eco-housing scheme gets under way
    Sep 20 2006
    Daily Post

WORK is well under way by Liverpool builder Rok at phase one of Everton's first eco-housing scheme.

The £5.7m development, Greenbrow, is being built for client Aldbury Housing on an area of disused wasteland along Everton Brow, which once completed, will offer affordable homes ranging from one-bedroom apartments to three-bedroom town houses.

Greenbrow has been designed around a courtyard setting, with landscaped areas and secure parking. Phase one consists of 54 new homes, with a further 102 homes to be created in following phases. The development is set for completion in April 2007, when further construction will begin.

Among its green credentials are the use of timber as a primary material, high levels of insulation, low energy lighting and rainwater harvesting.

Martin Ormston, Rok area leader, said: "This is an important development that will bring quality and affordable housing to the local area.

"Much attention has been paid to detail, with the aim of incorporating long-lasting benefits to both the environment and the community."

Source: icLiverpool

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast