Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool One [Paradise Street] Shopping Area [Under Construction]

I can almost beat that.

The other day I got the bus from Sefton street (L8) to James street, its not very far, but it was a very entertaining bus ride. First of all the driver nearly drove straight past me, then suddenly noticed me, braked and stopped about 20 miles down the frickin road! Then we got to the pier head and he started to turn right, into the road which goes between the Port of Liverpool building and the Cunard building. Suddenly I hear a deafening car horn beeping, which kept on going for about 10-15 seconds because the bus was cutting off a car and nearly causing a crash, the bus driver was hanging out of the window showing off how his middle finger looked and shouting abuse. I thought OK, not too bad, the horn was annoying after all.

Then he lets the car go though before him, and speeds after him, tailgating at a distance which must have only been a few feet, mumbling abuse to himself. Then we come up to some traffic lights, we pull up along side the car and he opens the doors and tries to get the car driver to come aboard for a fight. He was there for 20 odd seconds shouting phrases such as 'come on then ****head, i'll break yer ****in testicles' etc. After what seemed like a lifetime the lights went green.

I didnt say thankyou when I got off.

PhilipG

Lovely story.

It always make me smile when people thank the driver after he's thrown them all over the bus.
    Especially after the long slooow trek down Renshaw Street to Lewis's when the driver practises putting the brakes on each minute or so, so each standing passenger crashes into the one in front!

"Thank you, driver".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Lovely story.

It always make me smile when people thank the driver after he's thrown them all over the bus.
    Especially after the long slooow trek down Renshaw Street to Lewis's when the driver practises putting the brakes on each minute or so, so each standing passenger crashes into the one in front!

"Thank you, driver".
    I had a go at a driver for that once. They are trained not to do it. I also wrote a letter to his employers because of his couldn't care less attitude. They wrote back saying the would investigate and I heard nothing else.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    Thats just scaremongering. So what if there are loads of polish people working there, as long as they are good enough to do it, let them. It doesn't matter where they come from or what beliefs they have. They are obviously employing them because they are such good workers and they have to be paid the same as anyone else.
    They are. They are cheap. The man has a point. Local labour should be hired first.

I work in Manchester Airport and there are loads of Polish people there. So what! If they can do the job, give it to them wether they are black, white or bloody Polish. I hate racism and despise racists. Anyone who is racist in uneducated and naive!
    I hate racism and I hate locals being discriminated against too - in their own city.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Thats just scaremongering. So what if there are loads of polish people working there, as long as they are good enough to do it, let them. It doesn't matter where they come from or what beliefs they have. They are obviously employing them because they are such good workers and they have to be paid the same as anyone else. I work in Manchester Airport and there are loads of Polish people there. So what! If they can do the job, give it to them wether they are black, white or bloody Polish. I hate racism and despise racists. Anyone who is racist in uneducated and naive!
    Well said.

I despise racism too. Racists are uneducated or just plain ignorant people.

Listening to the morning news about the governments plans to make long-term unemployed find work or cut benefits. They were are talking about hard- core long term unemployed who refuse to find work and milk the system.

Some say that the work is not there .. and yet in the next breath people are complaining about immigrants taking the jobs !!

Well, which is it ?? There are jobs or are not jobs out there ??

There must be jobs then if foreigners are 'taking' them ??

I think the general opinion is that the jobs are there, but British people aren't bothering to look for them or take them. I think they're saying that if Polish people can come here and get jobs, why can't unemployed British people do it?

I'm sure there are lots of people who try and find work but don't have much luck - fair enough - but I'm sure there are plenty who have no intention of finding a job and enjoy freeloading off the system. I think the benefits system is good for those who genuinely need it (I claimed JS allowance myself for a couple of weeks whilst between full-time education and full-time employment), but some people can't be bothered with working and are happy living off benefits instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    They are. They are cheap. The man has a point. Local labour should be hired first.

I hate racism and I hate locals being discriminated against too - in their own city.
    If they live in this country, I see them as local people. Just because they are from another country doesn't meen they should be treated differently. You are basically saying that jobs should go to locally born people first, even if they aren't as capable as people from other countries. The fact is, alot of Liverpool born people have backgrounds from other countries, so where do you draw the line? You are being naive! It's your kind of attitude that causes devision in this world. People are just people, if they abide by the law and are decent people, then they can live and work where they want as far as I am concerned. We are all human beings and we need to get on with eachother.

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

The Goverment of this country has a duty of care towards those people who elected them to best safeguard their interests, the people whose taxes pay for the workings of said Government.
    In this way a responsible Government is like a gatekeeper to say a large house. This house has x amount of people and finite resources which must be carefully managed and safeguarded to ensure the interests of the house.

Except we don't live in a country in which it's possible to have a reponsible Government and said Government's business friends are getting fat off labour savings and hang the jobs and wages of those people who actually voted them in.

The poor 'get it' first of course.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    I think the general opinion is that the jobs are there, but British people aren't bothering to look for them or take them. I think they're saying that if Polish people can come here and get jobs, why can't unemployed British people do it?

I'm sure there are lots of people who try and find work but don't have much luck - fair enough - but I'm sure there are plenty who have no intention of finding a job and enjoy freeloading off the system. I think the benefits system is good for those who genuinely need it (I claimed JS allowance myself for a couple of weeks whilst between full-time education and full-time employment), but some people can't be bothered with working and are happy living off benefits instead.
    Agreed! Alot of immigrants do the jobs that British people don't want to do. There are plenty of jobs out there, so what if a Polish person is employed instead of you. If they can do the job, let them. I dont give a s##t where they are from. Where do you draw the line, if a Manc wants a job here, do you refuse them because they're not a scouser? Do you stop a cockney or a scot or a duchman or a romanian etc etc Get my point? Why can't we all just get on? This planet would be so much better if we did!

"The Poles do the jobs the British don't want to do"

When dumb cliche's take hold they really take hold don't they? Surprised you didn't mention how "lazy" the white working class are too. Or how they invented AIDS. Or how they eat their kids. Why not?

Since when were the British middle-class qualified to surmise, less so JUDGE what the long-suffering working-class do or don't want to so?? They already dictate what they actually CAN or can't do, how much more sway do they want ffs?

The truth is AL1 I never met anyone who didn't want to better themselves
    but it's your thoughtless reciting of these Murdoch/ Talksport/ Mail cliches which consign vast swathes of our city's population to the dumper.

Let's get some FACTS down shall we?
    1. "The Poles do the jobs the British middle-class don't want to do."
    2. "The Poles do the jobs that the Britsh working-class would like to do if the wages were at a rate so that they could AFFORD to do them. The indigenous people do NOT having the option of staying for only 8 months, living 15 to a room and sending the £24.29 back, tax-free mind, to some slum homeland where it becomes enough to buy a soddin house."

Always make a quick-buck. Always seek to exploit. Always blame the workers. AL1 your position has powerful friends.
    Last edited by The Teardrop Explodes; 12-18-2006 at 07:35 PM.

..and no offence meant at all AL1, don't mean to sound dismissive, it's just that there's a much bigger picture here I think you're missing. The plight our city's people (and yes I do mean those who are born and brought up here) matter more to me than amassing well intentioned but damaging brownie-points.

If they live in this country, I see them as local people. Just because they are from another country doesn't meen they should be treated differently. You are basically saying that jobs should go to locally born people first, even if they aren't as capable as people from other countries. The fact is, alot of Liverpool born people have backgrounds from other countries, so where do you draw the line? You are being naive! It's your kind of attitude that causes devision in this world. People are just people, if they abide by the law and are decent people, then they can live and work where they want as far as I am concerned. We are all human beings and we need to get on with eachother.
    I'm on the same wave length as you AK1. I could have written that myself!

Yes, lots of Liverpool born people have backgrounds from other countries - and other places in UK.
    As you say - where do you draw the line ??

If people are decent and law abiding I don't care where they come from.

People are just people - I always say that AK1. We all basically want the same thing, ie; a half decent life, reasonable health and wealth, our loved ones around us, and a bit of peace hopefully!

I can't understand this division that some people insist on. Why oh why will people never get on !??

(The only people I would love to be divided form is the scumbag, crimeridden low life crawling around our neighbourhoods)

Teardrop ... by the way ... although I did say that basically we are all wanting the same thing - blah, blah, I'm talking about people with a bit of initiative and a bit of ambition - people who want to make the best of what they have in life's lottery .... but there are SOME who do not want to be bothered bettering themselves or their situation. You say that you never met anyone like this.

I Have. More than once too.

ps,

Who drifted us off thread with this one ??

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Teardrop ... by the way ... although I did say that basically we are all wanting the same thing - blah, blah, I'm talking about people with a bit of initiative and a bit of ambition - people who want to make the best of what they have in life's lottery .... but there are SOME who do not want to be bothered bettering themselves or their situation. You say that you never met anyone like this.

I Have. More than once too.

ps,

Who drifted us off thread with this one ??
    Exactly what I was trying to say.

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast