Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool One [Paradise Street] Shopping Area [Under Construction]

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I've always wondered why it was called Paradise Street ! what a wonderful name for a street !
    It comes from Liverpool’s first Dock Engineer, Thomas Steers who owned land where the street was laid out after they drained the upper reaches of the pool. Steers was from Rotherhithe, London and had once lived in a srreet called Paradise Street there.

Thank you Ste for that

Default New footbridge

If you want to see what it's going to look like, there's a scale model in the Lord St info centre.

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    If you want to see what it's going to look like, there's a scale model in the Lord St info centre.

I've not been down that area of town for probably 2 years now. The last time I actually saw it all and nosed around the roads was when the triangle of land that used to be the graveyard of St Thomas were still there - and that was to view the digging up of Williamson's Grave.

But looking at that photo (which is very nice) has the council really lost the plot? We have an amazing building - Church House on the corner, which has always been a fav of mine, and they go and block it out by some modern 'bland' building - casting a shadow over it. Capital of Culture? Only if you can find it all under the shadows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I've always wondered why it was called Paradise Street ! what a wonderful name for a street !
    Monsignor Curry, the priest at St Patrick's church dropped dead in Paradise St in 1979. A fitting name for street for him to die in. One of the finest men I have ever met. He baptised William Hitler, Adolf's nephew in St Patricks.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

The Bunneys corner was also known as the Holy Corner, having Church, Lord, Paradise and Whitechapel.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Shaping up – the shell set to be pride of Paradise

Oct 10 2007 by Larry Neild, Liverpool Daily Post

THE views from the outdoor terrace restaurant will be stunning and the vastness of the shopping floors spectacular. Soon the place will be buzzing with shoppers at what will become the main anchor store in Grosvenor’s £1bn Liverpool One scheme.

The new 260,000ft John Lewis store in Paradise Street is taking shape and is well on schedule for an opening next spring.

A visit to the store reveals the extent of the exercise of military precision to ensure everything is ready for opening day.

One thing is already clear. Visitors to John Lewis will experience one of the most up-to-date retail complexes in the country, and one of the biggest in the partnership.

More than 200 tradesmen and tradeswomen, employed by 30 sub-contractor companies, are transforming what was a huge empty shell into a building that will have soul, as well as the ethos of the John Lewis brand.

Time-served joiner Ross Hardman is project manager for contractors Wates, the company responsible for constructing the John Lewis store.

He is in charge of everything that happens on site during the 32-week programme to prepare the building for the next phase, fitting out the store.

By mid-December, the shop will be ready for the eight-week fitting out operation. By then, the eight lifts and six escalators will be operating, miles of cabling fitted and a huge air conditioning plant controlling the internal environment.

The site spans seven levels, basement, ground, first, second, third and fourth floors as well as the roof level.

One of the highlights of the store will be the Place to Eat restaurant, with floor-to-ceiling glazed walls overlooking Chavasse Park. An outdoor terrace will enable diners to enjoy views across the park, towards the Albert Dock and the river.

A group of young building trade students from Liverpool Community College were guests of Wates yesterday to mark National Construction Week.

Wates is a family-owned business and one of the largest private construction companies in the country. Established in 1897, the company sees the building students of today as the industry’s future – hence the invitation to trainees.

Ross Hardman gave them a conducted tour of the site, pointing out the logistics in transforming an empty shell into a huge shopping complex.

He asked the teenagers if they had any questions, and with a slice of cheeky Scouse humour, trainee brickie Thomas Deane, 17, asked him: “Do you have any jobs?”

Mr Hardman said: “I loved the enthusiasm of the boys on their visit. It was the same lad who examined a breezeblock wall and said ‘I could have done better than that’. You can see the enthusiasm they have for the trade. We have a lot of Liverpool people working on the site at the moment.”

Wates construction manager Damon Willicombe said: “We have an excellent team on the John Lewis contract in Liverpool. There is a great synergy between everyone here. The whole project is carefully planned and we place great emphasis on site safety. The visit by the trainees allows us to explain the workings of a major contract site.”
    John Lewis staff, currently working across the city in Basnett Street, have yet to visit what will be their new home.

As a spokeswoman said yesterday: “They will be truly amazed.”
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

The cladding on one park west is looking great (you can't tell off this),one of my favourite buildings going up so far.
    Hmmm. I'm not so sure. It looked a bit 60's office block to me when I walked past it. No denying the overall design is fantastic though.

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Hmmm. I'm not so sure. It looked a bit 60's office block to me when I walked past it. No denying the overall design is fantastic though.
    Another blot on the landscape which will look dated in 20 years. If they are so confident of the business doing well, why has the likes of a well established firm like Lewis' slap bang in the middle of Liverpool struggling?

I know which view I'd rather still have -

Last edited by Cadfael; 10-12-2007 at 12:24 PM.

The park is going to be significantly better when completed. The old park was a complete no go area after dark and wasnt actually a nice place to go during the day to be honest.

The new park will be much more attractive, slightly more sheltered and more importantly it will be safer.

This is because of the huge amount of informal policing that will take place due to:

People living next to it
    The bus station being next to it.
    The Hilton being next to it
    The restaurants actually forming an integral part of it
    People emerging from the underground car park.
    People using it to get to the arena/albert dock.

It will be in constant use and will become much more of an asset to the city thanb previously.

Cadfael

Not wishing to go through 20 pages to find out.....

Does anyone have an overhead plan of the 'finished' site - in map or 3D form?

Cadfael

Just been passed and took a few pictures while moving.

Sorry to say it looks exactly like the tower block they demolished as part of the Uni block opposite the Catholic Cathedral on Brownlow Hill

Last edited by Cadfael; 10-13-2007 at 06:57 PM.

[QUOTE=Cadfael;82848]Another blot on the landscape which will look dated in 20 years. If they are so confident of the business doing well, why has the likes of a well established firm like Lewis' slap bang in the middle of Liverpool struggling?

QUOTE]

Because it sells cheap rubbish that nobody wants?

Plus Lewis' has not really been 'slap bang in the middle of Liverpool' for years, increasingly isolated once Clayton Square opened and Blackler's closed; an indication, contrary to previous posts, that the 'invisible boundaries' of the City Centre can and do morph over time. The sheer weight of the Paradise Street project will undoubtedly shift the Centre of Gravity southwards, bringing the Albert Dock more and more into play; if only there was a plan to deal better with the barrier that is The Strand.

Oct 23rd 07. building progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ship.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	4471  

Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast