Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool One [Paradise Street] Shopping Area [Under Construction]

Blog Entries

Default Liverpool One [Paradise Street] Shopping Area [Under Construction]

LIVERPOOL One - that is the brand name being unveiled today for the £920m Grosvenor re-development in the Paradise Street area of the city centre.

The name has been chosen after months of intensive marketing research to find a short and snappy brand label for what is Europe's biggest retail project. The name is being officially revealed in Belfast at a national showcase event for the shopping centre trade.

The branding was created by international consultants Wolff Olins, the company that branded last year's Athens Olympics and branded the telecom giant Orange. Project director Rodney Holmes believes the name will quickly catch on in Liverpool.

He told the Daily Post last night: "We have put a lot of work into coming up with a brand name and believe we have chosen something that will become very popular and noticeable.

"Liverpool One is the most important development in Liverpool's city centre for more than 40 years. It will deliver a shopping, residential and leisure environ- ment that few other cities can match.

"Liverpool One reflects consumer and retailer demand, and places Grosvenor and its partners at the forefront of urban regeneration."

The selection of the name will be used as a launchpad for one of the biggest ever marketing drives to sign up occupants for the development.

Tenants are to be recruited for the 165 retail units that will span 1.6m sq ft. So far, the John Lewis Partnership and Debenhams have been announced as the occupants of the two big anchor stores.

Other retailers are queuing for space in the other 163 units, ranging from large shops to smaller stores.

Continues: Here....

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

THE owners of the Odeon chain are to build a 14-screen cinema complex as part of the Paradise Street redevelopment.

The multi-million pound 3,000-seater leisure palace is likely to spell the end of the last surviving traditional cinema in the city centre, the Odeon, in London Road.

The company was last night saying little about its London Road site, but cinema experts believe there will be no space for the 10-screen building once the new showpiece building opens to the public.

Former cinema manager and historian Harold Ackroyd said: "If it does close it will be the end of a cinema era in the city centre. At one time there were 11 cinemas. I have recently been to one of the new multiplex cinemas and the picture and sound quality were superb."

Grosvenor have been involved in talks for months with the Odeon chain to negotiate a contract for what will be the biggest cinema in Liverpool.

A site in South John Street, close to Chavasse Park, has already been earmarked for the complex which will be ready in 2008.

Odeon joins John Lewis and Debenhams as anchors of the 2.4 million sq ft Paradise Street project, named this week as Liverpool One.

Located between South John Street and Paradise Street in the city centre, the Odeon multiplex will occupy the upper levels of a building designed by BDP.

It will complement the adjacent restaurants, cafés and bars, becoming a new addition to Liverpool's night time economy.

Below the cinema will be two large shops, which are already in negotiation with Grosvenor. Rod Holmes, Grosvenor's Project Director, said: "We are delighted that such a well established and respected brand as Odeon Cinemas will be the leisure anchor for Liverpool One.

"The company's modern and innovative approach to cinema entertainment makes it the perfect match for this aspirational development. Odeon's commitment at such an early stage highlights the market's confidence in Liverpool One."

Amanda Steel, Commercial Property Director for Odeon said: "The Paradise Project is an exciting development for a thriving city and it will return Liverpool to its rightful place at the top of the retail and leisure hierarchy. We are delighted to be an anchor tenant of this innovative development."

Cllr Mike Storey, Leader of Liverpool City Council, commented: "The 14-screen Odeon Cinema, along with the project's extensive new leisure facilities, will play a major part in helping us achieve our ambition of re-establishing Liverpool as a first class European destination."

larryneild@dailypost.co.uk

The Paramount was billed in 1930s Liverpool as the 'last word in cinema luxury'

THE Odeon in London Road, the last surviving traditional cinema building in the city centre, opened it doors in 1934 as the Paramount Cinema. It was built on the site of a boxing stadium that closed three years earlier and was demolished.

The plan was to build a 2,670-seater super cinema, the largest on Merseyside. Owners of the other big city centre cinemas, the Futurist, Scala and Palais de Luxe objected to the cinema licence being granted for the Paramount, described as the very last word in cinema luxury. It cost £240,000 to build.

The Lord Mayor, Ald George Alfred Strong, opened the Paramount on October 15, 1934 when Cecil B DeMille's Cleopatra was screened. The cinema hired internationally renowned organist Rowland F Tims. Early-bird tickets cost just a shilling (5p) with prices ranging later in the day between a shilling and 3s 6d (17.5p).

It was renamed the Odeon in 1942 when Paramount sold out to the Odeon circuit. In 1954 the Odeon became Liverpool's first large-screen Cinemascope cinema. The classic film, The Robe, was the first to be shown on the new big curved screen.

The organ remained until 1968 when it was switched to two screens. In 1973 three smaller screens were added, making it a five-screen complex, and was later reconfigured to provide 10 screens.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

FKoE

Progess eh?

Likethe Odeon but they need to lower ticket prices.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Default Bombs at Pradise Street

HUGE stretches of Liverpool's new shopping district are at risk from unexploded World War II bombs. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

It would have been nice if they had chosen Chevasse for the new name.
    Sounds more interesting and a bit more classy than plain 'Liverpool 1'

Blog Entries

Myself- I dont like the name Liverpool 1, a very poor decision to call it that I think. Plus the money someone must have been paid to come up with that!

'Paradise' would have fitted in and is familiar with us all i think.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    Myself- I dont like the name Liverpool 1, a very poor decision to call it that I think. Plus the money someone must have been paid to come up with that!

yeah i agree

Quote Originally Posted by kev

Irraspective ofwhat it's actually branded - people will always call it the paradise project

Blog Entries

HAIRDRESSER to the rich and famous Herbert Howe was King of the Castle yesterday when his new 'Bling Bling' building became the first to be completed in the Paradise Street redevelopment area. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

THIS is the luxury apartment block at the heart of the £900m Grosvenor redevelopment of Liverpool.

Some of the best UK and international architects competed to produce the winning design for the city centre homes.

Residents of the 12-storey building with its eyecatching aluminium fins on the outside will look out over College Lane and down to Albert Dock.
    There will also be views of the city from a rooftop garden.

more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Explosion rings out across city

Explosion rings out across city

Liverpool's old bus station and NCP car park was demolished in an explosion in the city centre on Sunday.

The new interchange replaces
    the old bus station

The controlled blast was carried out on Paradise Street, with nearby roads closed off to create an exclusion zone.

The buildings have been demolished to make way for part of the Paradise project - the large scale redevelopment of the city's shopping centre.

The explosion was heard across the city and some people reported hearing it as far away as Childwall and Wirral.

The new Liver Street car park and Paradise Street transport interchange, which replaces the old site, opened at the end of last year.

Source: BBC NEWS | Merseyside

A.D.Williams

Bugger! Wish I known they where blowing the car up - would have taken pictures!

Saw it on BBC NEWS 24 this morning - looked pretty impressive!

A.D.Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    Saw it on BBC NEWS 24 this morning - looked pretty impressive!

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast