Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Florrie

The Florrie was being surveyed last week. This week the inside of the building is being cleared out by workmen.

Default Florrie restoration

Let's hope there's continuing money to fund the running of the place. Remember the council's withdrawal of funding for the Garston Banks Rd Community centre Project and the serious effects this is projected to have.

Also I sincerely hope the community continue their support for the St Cleopas and St Gabriel Church Youth projects. It would be a shame for the Florrie to eclipse these very worth while community facilities. Same goes for St Cleopas's Cleo's Cafe and laundrette.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    The Florrie was being surveyed last week. This week the inside of the building is being cleared out by workmen.
    Ahhhh! T'anks for the heads up, squire. I feel a visit after work on the morrow is in order.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Blog Entries

PRINCE Charles made a visit to a landmark on the ECHO’s Stop the Rot hitlist.

The prince had asked to see the Florence institute in Mill Street, which the community wants to restore with the help of a £3.9m Heritage Lottery grant.

According to campaigner Tom Calderbank, he was amazed to learn the building was owned by his mother the Queen. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

At the last screening of Gardens of Stone at Lee Jones centre, a couple of 1980s to present 'activists' in the best possible sense of the word, showed up (pre-arranged with us) as they had a video of Gerard Gardens being demolished (both fantastic and sad) as well as other film of them camcording around Liverpool in 1987 including a group on at Streets pub and a disco on in Kirklands and them getting people to say 'on camera', their motto 'Keep the pool alive'. One of these chaps is currently active in removing the tons of rubbish from inside the Florrie (where my father-in-law went to as a Dingle youngster, born off Cockburn st) and they also have to deal with getting rid of hundreds of rats which have taken over. He gave me a card for the Belvedere Community Activity Centre in Miles Street, Toxteth so perhaps they can give anyone any updates on progress.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Excellent news - I'm glad they're moving forward with this. I just hope that when it's finished it is looked after and not damaged.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Excellent news - I'm glad they're moving forward with this. I just hope that when it's finished it is looked after and not damaged.
    I'm very pleased that Prince Charles wanted to see the Florrie, but let's not get carried away by the fact that his Mum might own the building.
    I think it's more to do with not knowing who currently owns it, and perhaps a bit of Compulsory Purchase that the ownership has passed to the Crown.
    The Queen therefore owns an awful lot of derelict property.

MariaC

The Florry

MariaC

They've already set up an office in there but one of the fellers working on it said that they've got to move a colony of bats out before they can do much else.

Just been speaking on the phone to the lads active in this great restoration. Here's one webiste with another to do with the Belvedere being built.

http://www.savetheflorrie.org.uk/

MariaC

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I'm very pleased that Prince Charles wanted to see the Florrie, but let's not get carried away by the fact that his Mum might own the building.
    I think it's more to do with not knowing who currently owns it, and perhaps a bit of Compulsory Purchase that the ownership has passed to the Crown.
    The Queen therefore owns an awful lot of derelict property.

I think this is a joke ???

When Prince Charles got shown around the Florry, instead of wearin' a hard hat, he had a dead fox on his head.

One of the fellers asked him why he was wearing that an' he said,,,,,

"I was talking to Mummy, the Queen you know ?"

She said, "Charles, where is your next engagement ?"

I replied, "The Florry."

She said, "Wear the foxed hat?"

Ha ha. Good one MariaC.

She was meant to be there too apparently but was up in her bedroom with her Philips 15 inch instead.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Ha ha. Good one MariaC.

She was meant to be there too apparently but was up in her bedroom with her Philips 15 inch instead.

So glad it will be restored, my dad learnt his boxing skills at the Florrie in the 1930s.
    He lived in Northumberland Buildings and always spoke of it.
    I am sure if he had been alive today he would have been over the moon.

MariaC

Quote Originally Posted by xkopite View Post
    So glad it will be restored, my dad learnt his boxing skills at the Florrie in the 1930s.
    He lived in Northumberland Buildings and always spoke of it.
    I am sure if he had been alive today he would have been over the moon.

A lot of our family used to box there, also in Our Lady of Mount Carmel, The Golden Gloves and the Pegasus. Does anybody remember those places ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast