Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bryant and May - Garston

Steven

When I was in the sea cadets, we were all sent to Bryant and May to do our First Aid Training. Owing all the chemicals they used, they had to have really well qualified people, the equivalent of a modern day paramedic.

Ops sorry i thought you said Brian May
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paris2030-03-2005201.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	4869  

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar

When I first started working for Wm Tomkinson and sons the builders a young labourer came to work on our site. He was very posh for a labourer and it tuned out he was the son of the then Managing Director of Bryant and May.
    He was a nice lad and he wasn't destined to end up on a building site as he was on a gap year later to study accountancy in Uni.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by chrismarsden View Post
    When I first started working for Wm Tomkinson and sons the builders a young labourer came to work on our site. He was very posh for a labourer and it tuned out he was the son of the then Managing Director of Bryant and May.
    He was a nice lad and he wasn't destined to end up on a building site as he was on a gap year later to study accountancy in Uni.
    I also worked for Wm Tomkinson while I was a student. I worked in Rathbone Road and on a school they were building near to the Giro. Late 60's or early 70's.

I worked there as a joiner in the late 80's. If they were still going I would probably still be there. It was a good firm to work for.
    Rathbone Road was the transport yard.
    As you probably know it a housing estate now.

Steven

I worked there as a joiner in the late 80's. If they were still going I would probably still be there. It was a good firm to work for.

I just drove dumper trucks around full of concrete and emptied them into drain ducts. Once or twice a week,
    I would volunteer to go on the jack hammer indoors (extra few bob for that.)

Like you, I found them a good crew to work with. In the hut (Litherland school) on a Friday night, after we had been payed, they used to play cards but would neve let us students have a game. They had a sense of decency and tended to look after us.

Hi Chris, Wm Tomkinson & Sons was my family's firm, my grandfather (Charles Tomkinson) passed away last year and it has made me think i would like to find out more about what Tomkinsons did and what building projects they were involved with, i could probably find out some of it from asking my family but it would be nice to hear from people who actually worked there about their experiences and stories etc.

Look forward to hearing from you and anyone else who worked there....

PhilipG

Default Tomkinson

When I saw your name, I thought of Tomkinson's the builders.
    I'll go through my notes and see what I've got on them.
    I'm assuming James was William's brother?
    James was next door to the Roscommon Cinema.
    In fact he built it as the Roscommon Music Hall.

Most sources say the architect of the rebuilding of the Crown Hotel in Lime Street is unknown, but I know James Tomkinson was the builder, and even though he wasn't a qualified architect, it seems very likely that he did the design.

PM me if you want, and we'll compare notes.

Last edited by PhilipG; 09-01-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Default Tomkinsons

Hi

Thank you for your message, yes i am referring to Wm Tomkinsons & Sons the builders, I believe the company started at the end of 1800s by William Tomkinson and various members of the family went on to work there (including my dad Richard!) over the 100+ years it was running. I don't remember a member of the family called James, I think my great grandfather was called John, but James may well have been part of the family also.

I know some of the buildings in liverpool we were involved in building, but am sure there are many that we are not aware of... any information you have would be great to hear

Thanks

Jenny

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by J Tomkinson View Post
    Hi

Thank you for your message, yes i am referring to Wm Tomkinsons & Sons the builders, I believe the company started at the end of 1800s by William Tomkinson and various members of the family went on to work there (including my dad Richard!) over the 100+ years it was running. I don't remember a member of the family called James, I think my great grandfather was called John, but James may well have been part of the family also.

I know some of the buildings in liverpool we were involved in building, but am sure there are many that we are not aware of... any information you have would be great to hear

Thanks

Jenny

I've checked my notes, and have less on Wm Tomkinson than I thought.
    Wm Tomkinson & Sons were established in 1827.
    It was a W Tomkinson who built the Roscommon Music Hall in 1892 (not James, as I said earlier).
    However, James Tomkinson had his Builders' Yard next door to the Music Hall, at 22 Roscommon Street, so it's fair to assume they were related, though perhaps not brothers.
    As I said James Tomkinson "Modernised" the Crown Hotel in Lime Street in 1905, and James converted the Roscommon into a cinema in 1915.
    Wm Tomkinson's yard was in Great Newton Street, not far from Roscommon Street.
    Wm Tomkinson were probably the major builders in Liverpool, and the Library will have more information on them.
    It's bugging me, because I can't say for certain that they built places like St George's Hall and the Customs House, but chances are they did.
    My main research has been cinemas and Wm Tomkinson built a few, including the Paramount (1934) which is now the Odeon.

Last edited by PhilipG; 09-11-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: 1827, not 1807.

I would be surprised if Tomkies built St Georges Hall or jobs of that size.
    When they went bust they were the oldest family run building firm in Liverpool.
    I worked directly for Mike Tomkinson towards the end.
    I loved working for them and have to thank them for the skills they provided me with.
    When the receivers came in I was standing next to your Father and made an off hand remark about only having another 24 years to pay on my Mortgage and he said, "Same here."

I have actually worked in your house.

I have often wondered how Mike and Richard were doing.
    Perhaps you can let me know.
    My claim to fame to my kids is that I've worked on 2 of the "Three Graces" roofs.The Port of Liverpool and Cunard Buildings, also St Georges Hall and a lot of historic buildings around the city.

Default Tomkinsons

A number of my family served their time with Tomkinsons to become Bricklayers. My family name is Looney, if anybody has any details I would be most grateful. There were at least seven who worked as Brickies and four went on to become Clerks of the Works, only one now is living and he completed his apprenticeship around 1942, then went on to serve in the RAF.

I had the pleasure of meeting up with my former employer, "Mike Tomkinson" for a drink last night.
    It was great to speak to him after 14 years.
    He pointed out to me that I was wrong about St George's Hall it was built by William Tomkinsons along with many other land marks around the city.

Default Wm Tomkinson & Sons

Quote Originally Posted by J Tomkinson View Post
    Hi Chris, Wm Tomkinson & Sons was my family's firm, my grandfather (Charles Tomkinson) passed away last year and it has made me think i would like to find out more about what Tomkinsons did and what building projects they were involved with, i could probably find out some of it from asking my family but it would be nice to hear from people who actually worked there about their experiences and stories etc.

Look forward to hearing from you and anyone else who worked there....
    I worked for Wm Tomkinson & Sons in the late 60's in their payroll office. It was a good company that branched out from building to installing pyrotherm cladding to their buildings and other major developments.
    Last edited by Kev; 02-12-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12