YO! Liverpool

Thread: Bryant and May - Garston

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Bryant and May - Garston

Bryant and May- garston match factory were....

The first to be equipped with the first continuous match making machine!

At one time, was THE ONLY producer of wooden matches in the UK.

Famous brands to come out of Garston include...

Swan, Pilot, Vesta and Englands Glory.

The firm was famous for only recruiting local people, it was tough for anyone trying to get a job there as they only employed family members. Several generations worked there.

ADVERTISING

Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Hi Kev

Bryant and May may have been, as you say, "At one time, was THE ONLY producer of wooden matches in the UK." However, since the Garston was not their only facility, I should think that it was not their only plant to make wooden matches. They also had a factory in the East End of London, which was famously involved in a match girls strike of 1888, one of the first instances of female labor protesting for recognition and better wages.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Advert:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADVERT FOR BRYANT AND MAY MATCHES.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	305  
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Thanks for that, Kev, great to see
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Thanks

So famous they're on the Walk of Fame

Name:	Bryant_and_May_walk_of_fame_March_2004.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	340  

Thanks

Default Bryant and May

I remember Bryant mand May very well. My dad worked there for a number
    of years, he was from King Street ( under the bridge) he tried to get me a
    job there once, got an interview but it wasnt meant to be as I failed the maths test (never mind). I have fond memories of King Street. I never lived there but my dad did and we used to have great nights out in the Queen Vic.
    I remember on occasion John Aldrige and Ray Houghton being in there with Johns dad Billy, being a red I was very impressed that my dad was mates with
    the great players dad. Yes I have very happy memories of such a stong close
    community.
    Would love to hear from anyone who drank in Vic in the 80s and might remember my dad, his name was Jack Winckle (theres a name you couldnt forget)
    crackin site by the way cant come off it. get carried away and end up losin track of time.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

A great post, my mum and dad might remember the name, btw, here's some upto date pics of the B and M site: Click and scroll down.....

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

PhilipG

This is the Matchworks building mentioned in another thread.

Quote.
    "At one time, was THE ONLY producer of wooden matches in the UK."

This has got to refer to the last years of the factory, when it was a fact.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    job there once, got an interview but it wasnt meant to be as I failed the maths test (never mind). I have fond memories of King Street. I never lived there but my dad did and we used to have great nights out in the Queen Vic.
    I remember on occasion John Aldrige and Ray Houghton being in there with Johns dad Billy, being a red I was very impressed that my dad was mates with
    community.
    Would love to hear from anyone who drank in Vic in the 80s and might remember my dad, his name was Jack Winckle (theres a name you couldnt forget)
    crackin site by the way cant come off it. get carried away and end up losin track of time.
    Thanks for that, photos great, didnt the factory end up being a film studio?

Thanks

Default Thanks

Thanks for photos, didnt the matchworks end up being a film studio or was that a rumour. Sorry about putting my reply on the quote, just learnin (me being a newbie)

PhilipG

Thanks for that, photos great, didnt the factory end up being a film studio?
    Most of it is a call centre, but there were other occupants, like the NHS.
    I don't know about a film studio, but I don't think so, as I worked in the call centre.

Thanks

Default Bryant and May

Intresting to know about the call centre, im lookin for a new job so i might
    give it a try. I might be lucky second time around in that building. Can anyone out there give me any ideas of maybe who to get in touch with about
    a position there? tar

PhilipG

Intresting to know about the call centre, im lookin for a new job so i might
    give it a try. I might be lucky second time around in that building. Can anyone out there give me any ideas of maybe who to get in touch with about
    a position there? tar
    The firm who run the call centre is called Vertex.
    Get in touch with them direct, or ask at your local JobCentre.
    I don't think they employ as many people as they did, but the turnover of staff was always rather big.
    They called it "Churn".

Thanks

Default taar

Thanks for that phil, Ill give them a ring in the mornin.

Thanks

Default winkles

community.

Hi Jackie
    I originate from Lyon Street facing Banks Road school and park,got married and moved to Shakespeare Street and now in Runcorn. Was never a regular at the Vic but i have used that pub. I do know a family of Winkles, Roy and Norma had 2 sons and a daughter, many years ago they lived in a street opposite the Garston Empire, they moved up to Runcorn about 40 years ago. Before moving to Runcorn Roy worked at Mortons down the bottom end of Window Lane and in Runcorn he worked in the Manchester ship canal workshops as an engineer. anything else you would like to know about Garston would be happy to try and oblige.
    Genie

Steven

When I was in the sea cadets, we were all sent to Bryant and May to do our First Aid Training. Owing all the chemicals they used, they had to have really well qualified people, the equivalent of a modern day paramedic.

Thanks

Ops sorry i thought you said Brian May

Name:	Paris2030-03-2005201.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	4869  

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar
    Thanks

When I first started working for Wm Tomkinson and sons the builders a young labourer came to work on our site. He was very posh for a labourer and it tuned out he was the son of the then Managing Director of Bryant and May.
    He was a nice lad and he wasn't destined to end up on a building site as he was on a gap year later to study accountancy in Uni.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by chrismarsden View Post
    When I first started working for Wm Tomkinson and sons the builders a young labourer came to work on our site. He was very posh for a labourer and it tuned out he was the son of the then Managing Director of Bryant and May.
    He was a nice lad and he wasn't destined to end up on a building site as he was on a gap year later to study accountancy in Uni.
    I also worked for Wm Tomkinson while I was a student. I worked in Rathbone Road and on a school they were building near to the Giro. Late 60's or early 70's.

Thanks

I worked there as a joiner in the late 80's. If they were still going I would probably still be there. It was a good firm to work for.
    Rathbone Road was the transport yard.
    As you probably know it a housing estate now.

Steven

I worked there as a joiner in the late 80's. If they were still going I would probably still be there. It was a good firm to work for.

I just drove dumper trucks around full of concrete and emptied them into drain ducts. Once or twice a week,
    I would volunteer to go on the jack hammer indoors (extra few bob for that.)

Like you, I found them a good crew to work with. In the hut (Litherland school) on a Friday night, after we had been payed, they used to play cards but would neve let us students have a game. They had a sense of decency and tended to look after us.

Thanks

Hi Chris, Wm Tomkinson & Sons was my family's firm, my grandfather (Charles Tomkinson) passed away last year and it has made me think i would like to find out more about what Tomkinsons did and what building projects they were involved with, i could probably find out some of it from asking my family but it would be nice to hear from people who actually worked there about their experiences and stories etc.

Look forward to hearing from you and anyone else who worked there....

PhilipG

Default Tomkinson

When I saw your name, I thought of Tomkinson's the builders.
    I'll go through my notes and see what I've got on them.
    I'm assuming James was William's brother?
    James was next door to the Roscommon Cinema.
    In fact he built it as the Roscommon Music Hall.

Most sources say the architect of the rebuilding of the Crown Hotel in Lime Street is unknown, but I know James Tomkinson was the builder, and even though he wasn't a qualified architect, it seems very likely that he did the design.

PM me if you want, and we'll compare notes.

Last edited by PhilipG; 09-01-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks

Default Tomkinsons

Hi

Thank you for your message, yes i am referring to Wm Tomkinsons & Sons the builders, I believe the company started at the end of 1800s by William Tomkinson and various members of the family went on to work there (including my dad Richard!) over the 100+ years it was running. I don't remember a member of the family called James, I think my great grandfather was called John, but James may well have been part of the family also.

I know some of the buildings in liverpool we were involved in building, but am sure there are many that we are not aware of... any information you have would be great to hear

Thanks

Jenny

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by J Tomkinson View Post
    Hi

Thank you for your message, yes i am referring to Wm Tomkinsons & Sons the builders, I believe the company started at the end of 1800s by William Tomkinson and various members of the family went on to work there (including my dad Richard!) over the 100+ years it was running. I don't remember a member of the family called James, I think my great grandfather was called John, but James may well have been part of the family also.

I know some of the buildings in liverpool we were involved in building, but am sure there are many that we are not aware of... any information you have would be great to hear

Thanks

Jenny

I've checked my notes, and have less on Wm Tomkinson than I thought.
    Wm Tomkinson & Sons were established in 1827.
    It was a W Tomkinson who built the Roscommon Music Hall in 1892 (not James, as I said earlier).
    However, James Tomkinson had his Builders' Yard next door to the Music Hall, at 22 Roscommon Street, so it's fair to assume they were related, though perhaps not brothers.
    As I said James Tomkinson "Modernised" the Crown Hotel in Lime Street in 1905, and James converted the Roscommon into a cinema in 1915.
    Wm Tomkinson's yard was in Great Newton Street, not far from Roscommon Street.
    Wm Tomkinson were probably the major builders in Liverpool, and the Library will have more information on them.
    It's bugging me, because I can't say for certain that they built places like St George's Hall and the Customs House, but chances are they did.
    My main research has been cinemas and Wm Tomkinson built a few, including the Paramount (1934) which is now the Odeon.

Last edited by PhilipG; 09-11-2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: 1827, not 1807.

Thanks

I would be surprised if Tomkies built St Georges Hall or jobs of that size.
    When they went bust they were the oldest family run building firm in Liverpool.
    I worked directly for Mike Tomkinson towards the end.
    I loved working for them and have to thank them for the skills they provided me with.
    When the receivers came in I was standing next to your Father and made an off hand remark about only having another 24 years to pay on my Mortgage and he said, "Same here."

I have actually worked in your house.

I have often wondered how Mike and Richard were doing.
    Perhaps you can let me know.
    My claim to fame to my kids is that I've worked on 2 of the "Three Graces" roofs.The Port of Liverpool and Cunard Buildings, also St Georges Hall and a lot of historic buildings around the city.

Thanks

Default Tomkinsons

A number of my family served their time with Tomkinsons to become Bricklayers. My family name is Looney, if anybody has any details I would be most grateful. There were at least seven who worked as Brickies and four went on to become Clerks of the Works, only one now is living and he completed his apprenticeship around 1942, then went on to serve in the RAF.

Thanks

I had the pleasure of meeting up with my former employer, "Mike Tomkinson" for a drink last night.
    It was great to speak to him after 14 years.
    He pointed out to me that I was wrong about St George's Hall it was built by William Tomkinsons along with many other land marks around the city.

Thanks

Default Wm Tomkinson & Sons

Quote Originally Posted by J Tomkinson View Post
    Hi Chris, Wm Tomkinson & Sons was my family's firm, my grandfather (Charles Tomkinson) passed away last year and it has made me think i would like to find out more about what Tomkinsons did and what building projects they were involved with, i could probably find out some of it from asking my family but it would be nice to hear from people who actually worked there about their experiences and stories etc.

Look forward to hearing from you and anyone else who worked there....
    I worked for Wm Tomkinson & Sons in the late 60's in their payroll office. It was a good company that branched out from building to installing pyrotherm cladding to their buildings and other major developments.
    Last edited by Kev; 02-12-2011 at 09:53 AM.