Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dingle Glen in Old Photos

Blog Entries

Default Dingle Glen in Old Photos

Hi guys, I thought I'd share with you some old photo's that I've collected of the Dingle area. It features Dingle glen, which was a wooded valley and natural beauty spot leading right down to the Mersey. More notoriously, it was the site of the last duel to be fought in Liverpool - between Mr Sparling, of St. Domingo house, and Mr Grayson, an eminent ship builder, on Sunday morning, 7.00am 24th February, 1804. I've also included some maps and photo's to help you get your bearings. I hope you enjoy, regards,

Daz

Dingle glen with the brook and visitors. c.1900 LRO

Dingle glen base with bathers. c.1900 LRO

Dingle glen base at the mersey, with David's Throne (a rocky outcrop) to the far left of image. c.1900 LRO

Dingle glen base from the mersey, with David's Throne (a rocky outcrop) to the left of image. Notice the telegraph poles. c.1900 LRO

Summer house on Dingle glen.

Dingle OS map c.1908 Dingle glen is to the right of 'Knott's Hole' where is says 'sands'. The railway bridge crosses the glen.

The remains of an rocky outcrop to the left of Knott's Hole, featured on the map above. My photo.

Dingle glen today, filled-in and allotted to part-time gardeners. My photo

Dingle ariel photo, showing garden festival dome on reclaimed land about Knott's Hole. Google Earth view.

Blog Entries

Great stuff Darren. you certainly made that interesting. Great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Great stuff Darren. you certainly made that interesting. Great.
    Thanks pablo, I enjoyed putting it together.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darrenwhite100 View Post
    Thanks pablo, I enjoyed putting it together.
    I'd never heard of Dingle Glen. I loved the idea of you following it all up with todays pictures.

Blog Entries

I forgot this one. It's looking up the glen towards the Turner memorial home. The council, it appears, in the process of filling it in? Sorry I haven't got the date of the photo. It looks 1900's though.

Partsky

Wonderful, Darren. Thank you so much. A piece of our history I dont know anything about. Great stuff

Blog Entries

Thanks for this fabulous thread Darren, a warm welcome
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Smile

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Welcome Darren and a great first post
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Blog Entries

Hi Darren, I really enjoyed viewing your collection,I had never seen those old photo's before but I remember seeing the engraved picture of the Dingle . I thought it was an idealised version of what the Dingle used to be.It was in a book we had in Tiber Street J.I. school. Those photo's prove the engraving to be true,thanks for sharing them,
    BrianD

Fabulous photos.. Welcome Darren...Enjoyed the bit of history..

The Dingle Tip picture is from 1927 (Dingle Playground/bottom of Turners Field)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    The Dingle Tip picture is from 1927 (Dingle Playground/bottom of Turners Field)
    Thanks marky. Here's some more images.

This is a view of Dingle glen from the path leading to the rocky outcrop known as David's Throne.

The view from Dingle Point (see OS map 1908, in the previous post) showing Knott's Hole (left) and the Dingle glen's walled embankment (right). The rocky outcrop David's Throne separates them.

An early painting known as "Knott's Hole", although it appears to have been painted from Dingle glen. A young family stand close to David's Throne and, according to Robert Griffiths (author of The History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxeth Liverpool) - 'a few yards to the right is "Adam's Buttery", a small cave' which maybe the reason for their interest there, captured by the painter's hand.

Also, there is an ornamental alcove [the white columned shelter with a domed roof] that housed The Lady of the Dingle, a statue commemorating a water nymph that supposedly dwelt within the brook of the glen. William Roscoe composed a poem entitled The Nymph of the Dingle, in her honour. The shelter can just be seen above the tree-line, in the distance. The statue, according to Robert Griffiths [writing in 1907], was moved to the grounds of the Turner memorial Home. Although I'm not sure whether it's still there, or not?

Bizarrely, a tennis court was marked-out in the middle of the glen, which looks a shadow of it's former self - presumably some years before they redeveloped the area. Sorry, I don't have a date for the photograph?

Hear hear to all that. Many thanks for these very evocative pictures.

What a tragedy that we lost such a beautiful place in the name of progress. It would surely be treasured today if it had survived.
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Quote Originally Posted by darrenwhite100 View Post

An early painting known as "Knott's Hole", although it appears to have been painted from Dingle glen. A young family stand close to David's Throne and, according to Robert Griffiths (author of The History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxeth Liverpool) - 'a few yards to the right is "Adam's Buttery", a small cave' which maybe the reason for their interest there, captured by the painter's hand.

Also, there is an ornamental alcove [the white columned shelter with a domed roof] that housed The Lady of the Dingle, a statue commemorating a water nymph that supposedly dwelt within the brook of the glen. William Roscoe composed a poem entitled The Nymph of the Dingle, in her honour. The shelter can just be seen above the tree-line, in the distance. The statue, according to Robert Griffiths [writing in 1907], was moved to the grounds of the Turner memorial Home. Although I'm not sure whether it's still there, or not?
    Excellent photographs and information here, Darren. I have been interested in the matter of Dingle Dell ever since I read Griffiths' book in the 1960's, and have also, as a poet myself, studied William Roscoe's poems.

In terms of the question about the statue note the following appeal by Dr Clemency Fisher of the Museum of Liverpool "Guest blog: Lost sculptures of Liverpool" dated (coincidentally!) November 13, 2009, at http://blogs.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/pooloflife/:

"Lost: Has anyone seen a marble lady with her foot on a water pot?

"William Roscoe (1753-1831), who could quite possibly be said to have founded culture in Liverpool, was a man with many hats - politician, solicitor, booklover, supporter of the arts, founder of the now sadly defunct Liverpool Botanic Garden, and poet. He lived in several different houses in central and south Liverpool, one being The Elms, which was on the dog-leg between Park Road and Aigburth Road (the road next to where it stood still bears this name).

"Much of Roscoe's poetry was published, and many people will know The Butterfly's Ball. One of Roscoe's other most important poems was The Nymph of the Dingle, written in about 1790. From this we get a wonderful vision of the Dingle Stream, which used to run down Park Road and then through the Dingle down to the Mersey, as it looked before it was culverted.

"'Stranger, that with careless feet, / wanderest near this green retreat, / where, through gently bending slopes, / soft the distant prospect opes: / Where the fern in fringed pride / decks the lonely valley's side / where the linnet chirps his song, / flitting as thou tread'st along .... Once a naiad rolled her flood'.

"The sculptor Benjamin Spence's marble Psyche at the well used to be in a cupola next to the Dingle Stream, to represent Roscoe's poem. She stood there for many years, demurely holding her water pot. We are not sure whether this sculpture is the same as the one that used to be in the Gladstone Conservatory in Stanley Park, or the statue now in the sculpture gallery at the Walker Art Gallery, or whether they were all exact copies of each other.

"Another marble lady naiad, in this case posed demurely with her foot on her water pot, used to stand in the Turner Home, the gothic mansion also on the dog-leg. This statue has been missing since the second world war, although the plinth is still there. This seems to be the version of the Nymph of the Dingle which Roscoe had copied as an illustration for the cover of his published poem.

"Does anyone know where this Turner Home sculpture is now, or what happened to it, or does anyone remember it being there, or have a photograph? Does anyone know anything about Psyche at the well and her copies? Please let us know!

"We need this information for a display on Toxteth Deer Park, for the History Detectives section at the new Museum of Liverpool. Please contact me:
    clem.fisher@liverpoolmuseums.org.uk."

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast