Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dingle Glen in Old Photos

I would never say the Eldonian village was in Everton though.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I would never say the Eldonian village was in Everton though.
    no, I wouldn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    To us Dingle was from High Park St down to the Dingle. People outside would say we lived in Dingle when in reality we lived in Harrington. Canning St is Granby.
    I guess it depends on where you were brought up? I don't see the Canning area as separate from my part of Liverpool as they are so close. Dingle wasn't really mentioned when I was growing up but I was lost there once and called names.
    Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Check the appropriate Google Map for the Copyright in the bottom right and go to the copyright owners web site and submit a correction on the online form.
    I should...but I won't. Hope someone else does though?!
    I've spotted more mistakes

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Thanks pablo, I enjoyed putting it together.
    Thank you Daz
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Hi everyone,
    Im a third year geography student at liverpool and i'm doing my dissertation on this area of the dingle and the current garden festival site. If anyone has any more photographs or information especially on the site before the festival it would be really helpfull. thanks
    sarah

[QUOTE=dazza;201596]Hi guys, I thought I'd share with you some old photo's that I've collected of the Dingle area. It features Dingle glen, which was a wooded valley and natural beauty spot leading right down to the Mersey. More notoriously, it was the site of the last duel to be fought in Liverpool - between Mr Sparling, of St. Domingo house, and Mr Grayson, an eminent ship builder, on Sunday morning, 7.00am 24th February, 1804. I've also included some maps and photo's to help you get your bearings. I hope you enjoy, regards,

Daz

Daz, Just read this piece regarding duelling in Liverpool:

The last duel in Liverpool was fought in 1805 between Colonel John Bolton and Major Brooks, with Bolton emerging the winner.

John Bolton was born in Ulverston, Cumbria in 1756 and traded in the West Indies before settling in Liverpool around 1790, living at 116 Duke Street (pictured right). A staunch patriot, in 1797 he contributed £500 to a committee set up to defend Liverpool after French troops had landed at Fishguard. He then set up his own Liverpool Volunteers in 1803 at his own expense. Becoming known as the Bolton Invincibles, they trained at Mosslake Fields on the edge of the town.

In 1804 Customs Jerker Major Edward Brooks asked for an increase in his salary. Bolton, President of the West India Association refused, allegedly saying that £700 per year was more than enough for a single man to live on. Brooks challenged Bolton to a duel on 20th December at Millers Dam on Aigburth Road. Quite why he issued such a serious challenge on this a matter is not known, but coincidentally Brooks was also from Ulverston and their feud may have been long running. After a tip off, both were arrested on their way and bound over to keep the peace for 12 months.

Exactly one year later Brooks insulted Bolton at Castle Street and a challenge was arranged that afternoon. Brooks was arrested for a few hours than issued a new challenge immediately upon his release, which Bolton accepted.Darkness was falling by the time both men arrived. Brooks fired the first shot and missed. Bolton then returned fire and pierced Brooks' eye, causing instant death.

Bolton went into hiding for a short while and the inquest found him guilty of murder. However, due to public opinion being behind him and the fact he had been challenged by Brooks, he was never charged. Bolton remained in Liverpool political life until his death in 1837 and is buried in the family vault in Bowness church.

What's a "Customs Jerker"?

Hi everyone, i am currently undertaking a research project regarding the sediment history of the Liverpool International Garden Festival Site. If you would like to share your thoughts in relation to the site please follow the link below to complete a short survey.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/597WF5H

Thank you
    Sarah

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Shall we all take a guess ?

Sorry for being late with the reply. A Customs jerker was the officer responsible in searching for concealed items. Not much different to modern day Customs officers really.

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Jerker...........never heard that word used in anything so far back. Interesting. Thanks

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345