Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Wavertree - Edge Hill Areas

Default Where is Wavertree

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    Thanx u!!

Are not sub-areas? Wavertree its too big, I was thinking that maybe are others sub-areas, for example, Wavertree north, etc.
    Marie, people these days think in terms of districts as related to modern day postal delivery codes. So they think of Wavertree as L15 for example. Historically speaking this is incorrect as post codes are a relatively new invention but it's a useful rough guide. It's on the boundaries of post code districts that confusion arises. There are sub districts but these tend to be in other post code districts so get forgotten. It's a common problem throughout Liverpool.

MariaC

The biggest problem with defining these boundaries, I have found to be in my own area. Toxteth, Dingle and Shorfiefields ? As Taffy has said, it has a lot to do with the 'relatively new post codes.'

The Dingle is the area I still put on my 'snail mail.'

Ok, I understand. Only I see the map and... its very very big!!

Default Map of Wavertree Township

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    So If Rose Lane was as far as Wavertree went then Is most of Mossley Hill Wavertree?

Most Of Mossley Hill has been argued to be Toxteth too though On Toxteth.net but that was when It was only the ancient park I think.
    Here you go Max. Here's the full extent of "God" like Wavertree. Map scanned from "Discovering Historic Wavertree" by Mike Chitty and published by the Wavertree Society. ISBN 0-9536441-0-3. Well worth buying Marie by the way. Map based on 1826 Sherriff's map of Liverpool's environs.

You can see Most of Smithdown Rd , then called Smithdown Lane is not in Wavertree but rather Toxteth despite its modern L15 post code
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wavertree Township.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	2558  

theninesisters

Max - your starter for 10.

Where WAS the original pond of Wavertree (which means meeting place by a tree)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post

I know I know I know I know
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I know I know I know I know

He is googling.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    He is googling.
    No, if it what I'm thinking, the info is already on Yo!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

It's now a playground!

Just by the Monks Well.

Thanks for the map Taff, but wasn't part of Smithdown only Toxteth when It was the Ancient Park only?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Wavertree Urban District Council

It's now a playground!

Just by the Monks Well.

Thanks for the map Taff, but wasn't part of Smithdown only Toxteth when It was the Ancient Park only?
    No not really. The boundary shown on the map are those of the Wavertree Council. So when the Smithdown Rd area became developed (last quarter 19th C), those properties one side of the boundary paid their rates to Wavertree Town Hall and those the other side to Toxteth Town Hall. So the boundaries had a very modern meaning not simply an ancient one.

I have to say this confused me the first time I looked that this problem and before I was aware of the correct Wavertree/ Toxteth boundaries. This was because in looking up families living between Smithdown Road and Garmoyle Rd in the 1920s, I saw they said they lived in Sefton Park. This was because of course Sefton Park had been a district of Toxteth. I doubt whether they ever thought of themselves as living in Toxteth but they certainly believed they lived in Sefton Park and not Wavertree. This was confirmed by entries in the Gore's Liverpool Directory of the period.

Of course where the current Aldi shop is on Smithdown rd, there was once Sefton Park School, so named beacuse it was in the Sefton Park district. The nursery next door still calls itself Sefton Park Nursery.

Hope this helps to clear things up in your mind.

theninesisters

It's now a playground!

Just by the Monks Well.

Zero points ;o)

It was actually where the school once was, now the new flats. If you go down Thingwall Lane - where the roundabout is now but where there was once a corner - it was to the left - big pond and a massive tree!

Default Harpers Pond

Zero points ;o)

It was actually where the school once was, now the new flats. If you go down Thingwall Lane - where the roundabout is now but where there was once a corner - it was to the left - big pond and a massive tree!
    This must be the place
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wavertree Harpers Pond Lane 008.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	2591  

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    This must be the place

Gold star sir - the council finally found the name of the pond - and now someone's house covers the original meeting place at Wavertree

Gold star sir - the council finally found the name of the pond - and now someone's house covers the original meeting place at Wavertree
    Get some bells near the house and use your bell ringing skills to make a noise so lowd, that the house will crumble.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    No not really. The boundary shown on the map are those of the Wavertree Council. So when the Smithdown Rd area became developed (last quarter 19th C), those properties one side of the boundary paid their rates to Wavertree Town Hall and those the other side to Toxteth Town Hall. So the boundaries had a very modern meaning not simply an ancient one.

I have to say this confused me the first time I looked that this problem and before I was aware of the correct Wavertree/ Toxteth boundaries. This was because in looking up families living between Smithdown Road and Garmoyle Rd in the 1920s, I saw they said they lived in Sefton Park. This was because of course Sefton Park had been a district of Toxteth. I doubt whether they ever thought of themselves as living in Toxteth but they certainly believed they lived in Sefton Park and not Wavertree. This was confirmed by entries in the Gore's Liverpool Directory of the period.

Of course where the current Aldi shop is on Smithdown rd, there was once Sefton Park School, so named beacuse it was in the Sefton Park district. The nursery next door still calls itself Sefton Park Nursery.

Hope this helps to clear things up in your mind.
    U are a surprise box!! Why do u know too much of Wavertree?
    Thanks to share photos, info about it!!

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast