Thread: Brian Reade

FKoE

Default Brian Reade

Brian Reade - Daily Mirror journalist famed for his cutting wit

Read Brians column >>here<<

HOW JAMIE MADE ME EAT MY WORDS
    21 September 2006

EGOMANIAC, loud-mouth, hypocrite, plastic wide-boy, Mockney *****.

Just a few of the more generous words I've used to describe Jamie Oliver over the years. Words I can't really take back if I wish to carry on looking at myself in the shaving mirror, but ones I significantly dilute by admitting I now admire the man.

He's one of the few public figures sticking his head above the parapet in a genuine attempt to make a difference.

I know he's doing well out of it, that he's being used by Downing Street, his plan to turn every school into a health-farm is a pipe-dream and his manner could grate a slab of Cheddar.

But I don't care any more. Not after seeing those Rotherham mums sliding pies, burgers and chips through playground railings because of their rage over his campaign to serve low-fat food in schools.

"A***holes and to**ers" Oliver called their type, and he should be commended for his restraint. Because if they had forced saturated fat on young animals, knowing it was cutting their life-span, they'd be facing charges of animal cruelty.

That the greasy treats were bought from a fast-food shop called Chubby's and fed to kids from a graveyard would be pure comedy it wasn't such a tragic indictment of the selfishness of a generation of parents who believe their brain should only be used to operate the TV remote. They claim that Rawmarsh Comprehensive's headmaster, who banned kids from visiting takeaways at dinner time and put healthy options on the menu was forcing their children to eat "disgusting, over-priced rubbish".

The rubbish? Mixed grill, jacket potatoes, pizza slices, pancakes and wholemeal sandwiches, orange juice and yoghurt etc. The meal price? £1.70.

Ah, they say, but our kids don't like it. Small wonder if they're constantly given the salt-drenched cack they've let them become addicted to. On the basis of giving them what they like, why not pass heroin through the railings. It's not as boring as fruit, is it?

Whose fault is it that their diets are so poor if not the parents'? Parents who are prepared to see their kids unable to do sport, develop diabetes, heart disease, strokes or kidney problems because they can't be bothered to give them a balanced diet. Too much hard work. Go the chippy or give them ready-made meals instead. Well it shuts 'em up, eh? more

Blog Entries

Default Just another cook.

Please do remember Mr Oliver is only a cook.He has no other "hidden" talents unless you call his "cockney" accent an asset.Hes just another no talented egg-frier with his snout in the cooks trough.

Blog Entries

Angry Higgins and Best-real stars not bottle banks.

Enough Brian Reade of the "bottle bank" jokes about dead sports personalities.First it was George Best who should have a bottle bank named after him then Brian Clough.Are you waiting for a certain snooker star to pass away so you can trot out the same old cliche?

I just thought I'd give this post a little bump as I honestly think that Brian Reade is one of the best journalists of our time.

That's all. Carry on...

I love reading articles by Brian Reade who I think is one of our finest journalists. Here is one of them, taken off the Daily Mirror website!

I GET confused about the true meaning of English patriotism.

Take the Germans. I like the taste of their beer, the look of their women and the sound of their swear words. Which probably qualifies as treason as it’s compulsory for an Englishman to spew forth anti-Teutonic bile whenever they beat us at football or to the sunbeds.

Yet when it comes to something far more important, like the survival of our manufacturing base, patriotism disappears. We don’t just accept German supremacy, we facilitate it.

Take the 1,200 Thameslink carriages we need building to carry commuters from Brighton to Bedford. We’ve found £1.4billion to pay for it. But instead of awarding the contract to our sole remaining trainmaker, Bombardier in Derby, we’ve given it to Siemens in Munich. According to this Government, the German bid offers the taxpayer “best value for money”.

Even though it means 1,429 Derby workers being thrown on the dole, thousands of supply chain jobs hit, scores of apprenticeships stopped and the real prospect that trains may soon cease to be built in Britain.

So much for Tory claims to “rebalance the economy” away from the banking sector, to create a “march of the makers” and to “put British workers first”.

First in what? Jobcentre queues that are now massively bloated by savage public sector cuts.

It wouldn’t happen in Germany. Their government would have factored in social costs and tailored the EU-wide tender to give their firms a winning advantage. It’s why they build 98% of their own trains. Could you imagine the French following EU tendering guidelines to disadvantage their own workers? Non. It’s why they build 100% of their trains.

These jobs haven’t gone abroad because of union militancy or foreign sweatshops but because of the timidity and stupidity of our ruling bureaucratic class.

Philip Hammond and Vince Cable admit this, blaming the Labour Government for cocking up the paperwork and promising to change the goalposts in future.

But there may be no future. While they boot the problem into the long grass and tut-tut on Newsnight about level playing fields, more of our precious manufacturing skills disappear.

Besides, they’ve been in power for 14 months. They could have found a way to send those jobs to Derby. They still can.

Which is why we should be demanding a U-turn on the grounds that we pay our politicians and civil servants to stand up for us.

Bombardier is the only British trainmaker left and it only has one contract left. The chance of it getting new orders from overseas are remote, because while we slavishly follow free-market principles and adhere to a sense of fair play, other countries get on with making their own trains.

Instead of sending our forces to save other nations, kidding ourselves that Britain rules the waves, isn’t it time Britain waived the rules and worked out how to save itself?