Brian Reade - Daily Mirror journalist famed for his cutting wit

Read Brians column >>here<<

HOW JAMIE MADE ME EAT MY WORDS
21 September 2006

EGOMANIAC, loud-mouth, hypocrite, plastic wide-boy, Mockney *****.

Just a few of the more generous words I've used to describe Jamie Oliver over the years. Words I can't really take back if I wish to carry on looking at myself in the shaving mirror, but ones I significantly dilute by admitting I now admire the man.

He's one of the few public figures sticking his head above the parapet in a genuine attempt to make a difference.

I know he's doing well out of it, that he's being used by Downing Street, his plan to turn every school into a health-farm is a pipe-dream and his manner could grate a slab of Cheddar.

But I don't care any more. Not after seeing those Rotherham mums sliding pies, burgers and chips through playground railings because of their rage over his campaign to serve low-fat food in schools.

"A***holes and to**ers" Oliver called their type, and he should be commended for his restraint. Because if they had forced saturated fat on young animals, knowing it was cutting their life-span, they'd be facing charges of animal cruelty.

That the greasy treats were bought from a fast-food shop called Chubby's and fed to kids from a graveyard would be pure comedy it wasn't such a tragic indictment of the selfishness of a generation of parents who believe their brain should only be used to operate the TV remote. They claim that Rawmarsh Comprehensive's headmaster, who banned kids from visiting takeaways at dinner time and put healthy options on the menu was forcing their children to eat "disgusting, over-priced rubbish".

The rubbish? Mixed grill, jacket potatoes, pizza slices, pancakes and wholemeal sandwiches, orange juice and yoghurt etc. The meal price? £1.70.

Ah, they say, but our kids don't like it. Small wonder if they're constantly given the salt-drenched cack they've let them become addicted to. On the basis of giving them what they like, why not pass heroin through the railings. It's not as boring as fruit, is it?

Whose fault is it that their diets are so poor if not the parents'? Parents who are prepared to see their kids unable to do sport, develop diabetes, heart disease, strokes or kidney problems because they can't be bothered to give them a balanced diet. Too much hard work. Go the chippy or give them ready-made meals instead. Well it shuts 'em up, eh? more