Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What's so great about Old Buildings?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petromax View Post
    Yes, that's what I said. It is an example of very poor urban sprawl
    Paris has a small footprint. Nothing sprawls anywhere and never can in France with only about 3.5% of the land settled.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    I spent a LOT of time in Paris. It is densely populated for sure. But they manage it extremely well.

Most other medium sized cities are much better than UK cities. They had no inner-city blight. A UK phenomena, with parts of the USA too.

They built cities for people to live in, not a place for a workforce to live for the rich to make money from.
    Paris! Managed it well! Surely not. It's a disgrace.

Blog Entries

Paris has a small footprint. Nothing sprawls anywhere and never can in France with only about 3.5% of the land settled.
    Are you getting this off the web WW, cos it does sprawl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Need to know which cities WW cites for his examples of great planning.
    Just about all compared to the UK. The UK has appalling cities. Look at Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Brum and Liverpool. Nice places eh! Only the smaller cathedral cities are nice, which in size are not cities, only towns. Although Liverpool is getting better in parts, it is still a dreary place in most parts.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Just about all compared to the UK. The UK has appalling cities. Look at Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Brum and Liverpool. Nice places eh! Only the smaller cathedral cities are nice, which in size are not cities, only towns. Although Liverpool is getting better in parts, it is still a dreary place in most parts.
    Got to admit that the cities you mentioned aint nice. They're all getting better though. A few years ago, no one in would've lived in the inner cities. Now it's desireable. Europe or America aint no better though.

[QUOTE=Waterways;200963]By your responsible I don't think you at all. Al you have done is spout propaganda issued by the Countryside organisations who are backed by large landowners. YOU have nothing to gain by keeping the status quo. Young people even less.

I write for myself thanks. I don't regurgitate without thought - like yourself

Pet campaign? You still don't understand. You don't even get the prime points for God's sake! Ask and I will help you on them . Do not come back with arrogant know-it-all-ness.
    I don't need your help, thank you. I am not even slightly interested in the primacy of your points or your patronising snipes.

Whatever that means...
    Why? Too hard for you?

Once again read the link and the documents from the Policy exchange. Do not walk about with your head up..... YOU have nothing to again by keeping the existing system.
    I'm not interested in doing your donkey work for you. Why should I read what you have selected from an unaccountable reference when you clearly don't have the nouse to assess what you read critically and can't draw out your own conclusions succinctly and substantiate them by reference to credible sources? Perhaps you don't understand that burying people in undigested and questionable screeds convinces no one? Are you out of short pants yet?

Got to admit that the cities you mentioned aint nice. They're all getting better though. A few years ago, no one in would've lived in the inner cities. Now it's desireable. Europe or America aint no better though.
    European cities have a better handle on inner city living and are genuinely less suburban. They accept denser living more readily and are also less hung up on ownership. Let's take the centre of Paris or Amsterdam for example...whoops, maybe not

I agree our cities are gettting better and there's more people in them and it should be encouraged. I don't think suburbia is an appropriate model for the inner cities (as recently suggested by Beatrice Frankel's advocacy of the Eldonian Village).

Riots, Racial Tension, Burning Cars in the largest suburbia of any city in Europe?. Nah, lovely place, definitely no sprawl and managed so beautifully

Blog Entries

European cities have a better handle on inner city living and are genuinely less suburban. They accept denser living more readily and are also less hung up on ownership. Let's take the centre of Paris or Amsterdam for example...whoops, maybe not

I agree our cities are gettting better and there's more people in them and it should be encouraged. I don't think suburbia is an appropriate model for the inner cities (as recently suggested by Beatrice Frankel's advocacy of the Eldonian Village).
    I agree on the whole, the Europeans I met never seemed to travel to work as far as we do. Likewise in shopping, seem to be nearer their homes. We seem to be going the American way with out of town shopping areas. I'd like to see that stopped and the shops brought back into towns. We have to get away from the car.

It's not so much more housing needed as less people. It's the infrastructure such as roadways and amenities such as energy and the services such as health and the unemployment due to an almost none existent manufacturing base that can't sustain millions of extra people.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    It's not so much more housing needed as less people. It's the infrastructure such as roadways and amenities such as energy and the services such as health and the unemployment due to an almost none existent manufacturing base that can't sustain millions of extra people.
    don't think we're gonna get less people Ged. The population is gonna rocket one way or another. I think ther's enough land to build on in the city boundaries already, it just needs utilising better.

don't think we're gonna get less people Ged. The population is gonna rocket one way or another. I think ther's enough land to build on in the city boundaries already, it just needs utilising better.
    Yes, rocket!, 'fraid so. We're gonna need more housing and less people and better urban design.

Hopefully we've seen the last of Project Jennifer (and people who say 'the high street is dead') but just look at the proliferation of bl**dy Tescoes. Take Old Swan for example - an urban crime. A new Trafford Centre on Bidston Moor... more and more cars and against all sense.

Blog Entries

Yes, rocket!, 'fraid so. We're gonna need more housing and less people and better urban design.

Hopefully we've seen the last of Project Jennifer (and people who say 'the high street is dead') but just look at the proliferation of bl**dy Tescoes. Take Old Swan for example - an urban crime. A new Trafford Centre on Bidston Moor... more and more cars and against all sense.
    True. We appear to be going the American way but we don't have the land. There's gonna be more of these shopping villages that no one lives near. It'll be the death of towns if we let it happen.

Default What's Great About Old Buildings?

Forget the stately homes and lavish public buildings, it's the everyday or vernacular architecture, which appeals to me. Its is functional and so much the better for a bit of decoration. Streets, shops, cinemas. A wealth of styles and, take cinemas for example, a generic style of their own. Often unrecorded, they are a snapshot of a vanished way of life.
    It is not possible to preserve everything, but as long as they are photographed, future generations can see how things were.
    We cannot produce plasterwork like the pic below, for ordinary buildings, but it is personally great for me to record all the detailing, before the wreckers ball gets it!!!

You take them for granted - until one day they're gone!

Blog Entries

Riots, Racial Tension, Burning Cars in the largest suburbia of any city in Europe?. Nah, lovely place, definitely no sprawl and managed so beautifully
    The description of Paris is made up. I know the city very well. One of the finest in the world, if not the finest. I spent some time in the 15th and 16th.

how it once was?

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast