Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's so great about Old Buildings?

Default What's so great about Old Buildings?

There is a presumption that most old stuff is good stuff; that sees either side of 1900 as a golden age (George's Hall, Liver Buildings, Three Graces, Water Street).

Actually this Architecture represents the upper end of a class system that 'suppressed the workers', so what's so great about it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...xe_Experience/

Think you could apply that reasoning to just about every worthwhile building anywhere in the world at any time in history.

Blog Entries

Architecture?

I do not know Liverpool, I have seen here many pictures and movies of Liverpool's past, would I know the place now from these sources?

Within the space of all too few generations much of a people's history is lost and without land-marks the geography of a place can also be lost.

I do despise these country houses for much the same reasons as you have put forward; labour cost etc. And how one is supposed to marvel at the costs envolved in their building WITHOUT being asked to consider the human cost not only of the build but of where the money came from too.

I have worked on a few 'prized' examples of times past and I do admire the effort required in the build. Right angle? Whats that?

We should rejoyce in them if they are put to public use. For they do show the effort and expertise shown by a by-gone age of astizan.

Lastly; What are the time-scales of modern buildings? Perhaps we cannot match the past in their efforts, but we can do much to continue history on into the future using architecture as mile stones. My mother was insured by the Liverpool Victoria (if I remember right) and soo I have long been aware of the Liver Building and if that were to go how could I judge what the Liverpool of today is all about?
    What use Liverpool has for it's past is up to you all now. I think that the whole thing hangs on what use the present can find for these efforts of yesteryear.

[QUOTE=Oudeis;198983]
    I do despise these country houses for much the same reasons as you have put forward; labour cost etc. And how one is supposed to marvel at the costs envolved in their building WITHOUT being asked to consider the human cost not only of the build but of where the money came from too.
    QUOTE]

My dad was always of that opinion. re stately homes, he says why should we pay to go in and 'view' the affluence and luxury that was built from exploitation of the less well off. It was bad enough that the affluent were greedy with their the vast amounts of land and wealth, and had the poor labouring for them for a pittance .. now they want us to pay again !!
    My dad won't pay to go in a stately home

Blog Entries

Well said lindylou's dad.

He will be one of the too few who have read, The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.

What a load of leftie bull.Tell me,were these buildings built by slaves or by a paid workforce?
    Modern architecure is about architects.I put these things up and it's all about 'the look'.If there are any cutbacks to be made because money is getting short it's NEVER on the externals or foyer area as they are the bits that go in the portfolio and win awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    Well said lindylou's dad.

He will be one of the too few who have read, The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.
    he has too ! and been to see the grave of Robert Tressell

Blog Entries

...and the money GNASHER. Where did that come from?

[had the Nazis formed a statue for some foyer out of the gold teeth and spectacles they had to hand, that too would be OK?]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    My dad was always of that opinion. re stately homes, he says why should we pay to go in and 'view' the affluence and luxury that was built from exploitation of the less well off. It was bad enough that the affluent were greedy with their the vast amounts of land and wealth, and had the poor labouring for them for a pittance .. now they want us to pay again !!
    My dad won't pay to go in a stately home
    He was an astute man Lindy. The preservation of stately homes, which are out of sight of the vast majority of people hidden in the country, was a way of the well connected ruling class to maintain their lifestyles. WE pay for a lot of it. They put about propaganda that these piles of bricks were essential, as a key part of our heritage - although few had ever seen them, never mind been in one. They also put about propaganda that the lifestyle and social structure, of which they were at the top, was essential to our way of life - lots of romatic scenes of happy people working in the fields and walking to to the pub in a chocolate box type of village. Few villages were like this being mainly full of mud and animal mature on the streets with cows and sheep being driven through them. Then the wealthy, privileged ruling class, who made their wealth by taking rent, went for state aid to maintain their lifestyles. It was 100% successful. The governments and people sucked it in.

The finest buildings are, and were, in cities. Ground around buildings make them stand out and more appealing. If the David Lewis' Building was in the country with some Lord living in it, would it have been demolished? Would the Custom House been demolished? I think not.

Stately homes are a reminder in brick of gross exploitation of people. Not one penny of public funds should go towards these stacks of bricks.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

[QUOTE=Oudeis;198998]...and the money GNASHER. Where did that come from? ]

The Royal Mint .
    The same sources as now,loans,investment,grants.A tip,never use your own money.
    had the Nazis formed a statue for some foyer out of the gold teeth and spectacles they had to hand, that too would be OK?

WTF has that got to do with it?

Blog Entries

A lot of Liverpool's architecture was functional, with decorative embellishments to represent power and wealth. Their are exceptions, the Dock Office is one and the towers on the Liver Buildings. Take off the towers and the building looks like functional buildings seen on NY & Chicago at the time.

The Cunard Building was pretty functional as was the India Buildings - although the architect had a sense of humour and put a Roman villa on the roof. St. George's Hall was a 100% functional building, however copied Greek classical designs as a statement of the city's wealth.

Tall, large, grand looking buildings have and always will be used as an outward means of displaying wealth or a go-ahead image - and a form of corporate advertising. The buildings may give the impression a company was richer than it was. Banks and insurance buildings wanted to display solidity, so tended to build strong traditional looking buildings - hence the plethora of oldish looking buildings in Liverpool.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

...not sugar, cotton or the slave trade directly?

I do not see the facts of employment at those times as much of a step up from slavery itself.

A man was an asset on the one hand and a liability on the other.

George

What's so great about Old Buildings?

in terms of the common mans house they are/where/...had character,take todays and those of the last 20 years...they're lego/boxes and nothing more ie depressing buildings that are a lot smaller inside than a terraced house.

I don't care about who built them and how little they were paid, as it's exactly the same nowadays. Look at some of the incidents that happen on todays building sites because the building company cuts corners to save money. They don't really care about the safety of their workforce and pay them as little as they can get away with

The reason why I'd say some old buildings are great is they look amazing and considering the lack of technology, compared with now, they'll still be standing when alot of todays buildings are starting to crumble.

Blog Entries

Scouse Smurf,

Mausoleums we do not need. Surely it is the life within that matters? And if a new life can be found for these land-marks all well and good.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast