YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's so great about Old Buildings?

Thanks

Default What's so great about Old Buildings?

There is a presumption that most old stuff is good stuff; that sees either side of 1900 as a golden age (George's Hall, Liver Buildings, Three Graces, Water Street).

Actually this Architecture represents the upper end of a class system that 'suppressed the workers', so what's so great about it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...xe_Experience/

ADVERTISING

Thanks

Think you could apply that reasoning to just about every worthwhile building anywhere in the world at any time in history.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Architecture?

I do not know Liverpool, I have seen here many pictures and movies of Liverpool's past, would I know the place now from these sources?

Within the space of all too few generations much of a people's history is lost and without land-marks the geography of a place can also be lost.

I do despise these country houses for much the same reasons as you have put forward; labour cost etc. And how one is supposed to marvel at the costs envolved in their building WITHOUT being asked to consider the human cost not only of the build but of where the money came from too.

I have worked on a few 'prized' examples of times past and I do admire the effort required in the build. Right angle? Whats that?

We should rejoyce in them if they are put to public use. For they do show the effort and expertise shown by a by-gone age of astizan.

Lastly; What are the time-scales of modern buildings? Perhaps we cannot match the past in their efforts, but we can do much to continue history on into the future using architecture as mile stones. My mother was insured by the Liverpool Victoria (if I remember right) and soo I have long been aware of the Liver Building and if that were to go how could I judge what the Liverpool of today is all about?
    What use Liverpool has for it's past is up to you all now. I think that the whole thing hangs on what use the present can find for these efforts of yesteryear.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Oudeis;198983]
    I do despise these country houses for much the same reasons as you have put forward; labour cost etc. And how one is supposed to marvel at the costs envolved in their building WITHOUT being asked to consider the human cost not only of the build but of where the money came from too.
    QUOTE]

My dad was always of that opinion. re stately homes, he says why should we pay to go in and 'view' the affluence and luxury that was built from exploitation of the less well off. It was bad enough that the affluent were greedy with their the vast amounts of land and wealth, and had the poor labouring for them for a pittance .. now they want us to pay again !!
    My dad won't pay to go in a stately home

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well said lindylou's dad.

He will be one of the too few who have read, The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.

Thanks

What a load of leftie bull.Tell me,were these buildings built by slaves or by a paid workforce?
    Modern architecure is about architects.I put these things up and it's all about 'the look'.If there are any cutbacks to be made because money is getting short it's NEVER on the externals or foyer area as they are the bits that go in the portfolio and win awards.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast