Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dingle Steps

I get the impression that the road itself is L8 (and some business properties?), but private dwellings are L3. I took a picture of that Riverside Drive L8 sign yesterday...it was the only one I noticed. Near the start of Herculaneum Dock (opposite Jaguar House) there is a Sefton Street L8 sign (fixed to the low wall that cars keep hitting). I haven't checked to see if there are any Riverside Drive L3 signs. An area around the Horsfall Ramp went from L3 to L8 in the early to mid 1990s. A new business is there now (next door to the train station) but I don't know its' postcode.

Is the rule of thumb that all properties within the south docks estate are designated as being in L3?

PhilipG

I think I've figured it out.
    Marky, you're right about the road because it's not privately owned.
    The Herculaneum and the South Docks are private property.
    Once you step onto the Promenade (if that's what it's called) it's the property of British Waterways (I noticed today - God knows why), and I'm surmising that too is L3, as are the docks, but the road itself is L8.

It's the Otterspool reference that confuses me.
    Otterspool is by Jericho Lane, a fair distance away from this newly created L3.

Mind you, if L3 goes right up to the edge of Dingle Bank - which it does - then anything's possible.
    London Road is L3.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 02-18-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Default New flats in old south docks area L3 etc

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    i dont want to say exactly where i live on here philip, but my postcode is definitely L3.
    I even emailed the council about trying to define my area. They said Toxteth, Dingle, or Otterspool could be my area! So, basically pick!
    It's all Toxteth really which runs from Parliament St to Otterspool Park This includes all the the mid line of the River Mersey. This is perhaps clearly seen in the parish boundaries for St Cleopas Toxteth and St Gabriel Toxteth which despite being in the " Dingle" include all those delightful new flats down by the river

Here's some pics showing Herculaneum and South Docks...if you've got £400.00 to spare.
    http://www.oldmapsprintsbooks.co.uk/3623.htm

Just to confuse, my late 1990s Liverpool A-Z has Ellerman Rd as L8 in the index pages, but within the dotted line of the L3 area on the actual map pages.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    The steps that local Dingle dockers used to walk down to Herculaneum Dock from Grafton Street.

Are those terraced houses still on Grafton St,my Aunt lived there the where the McQueen family, I use to spend a lot of time there when I was young ,looking thru the railings at the ships, many a summer night walked the full lenght of thos railings , thanks for the memories , Maggie Canada

Blog Entries

All the streets are still there as far as I know. Welcome aboard!

Kev
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123