Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Royal Southern Hospital

Default Old Royal Southern Hospital

I spent a lot of time in Hospital as a child in the early 60's and remember a very old building, very elaborate and ornate, but at a reunion with my relatives was shown a completely different picture of the Royal southern to what I remember. It was close to the docks as I recall and it had many floors with old lifts and intricate corridors.
    Am I just imagining the whole thing?
    Did it exist? can any one help at all? it may be that I got it confused with a different Hospital but I dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmouse View Post
    I spent a lot of time in Hospital as a child in the early 60's and remember a very old building, very elaborate and ornate, but at a reunion with my relatives was shown a completely different picture of the Royal southern to what I remember. It was close to the docks as I recall and it had many floors with old lifts and intricate corridors.
    Am I just imagining the whole thing?
    Did it exist? can any one help at all? it may be that I got it confused with a different Hospital but I dont think so.
    The one I know by the docks is the old Bootle Borough Hospital
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/2519287070/
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Sounds like the Southern !, my Dad was in there when I was little, I remember the long corridors with a coved ceiling and lots of clean starched aproned nurses who disapproved of me being there to visit him !.
    Visiting times were very regimented, Dad also said that the matron used to come around every morning and ask about " their bowels".
    It was also known as the Dockers hospital as it was the nearest to the south docks and Dad always was either taking someone there or going himself.
    The building always rememinded me of the old Higsons brewery !

Thanks squigs, I thought I was going loopy. I still have dreams about this Hospital and yes, it was very 'efficient' and managed by strict matrons.
    Huge place and very old. So does it still stand or has it been replaced?
    I am searching for pics of it on the net.

I spent a great deal of time in Fazakerly Hospital too as I contracted Polio as a child and was recently informed that it is now a prison.

Another huge place with annexes and a woods I think.

Gregs dad, thank you for the pic but it doesnt ring any bells with me, unless the main entrance is at a different angle? It was definately called the Royal or Royal Southern.

Blog Entries

My local hospital. Demolished in the 1980s when the Royal came on-line. I spent many times in outpatients waiting. I was never in the wards. It was in Caryl St on the corner of Hill St.

A friend of mine lived on the first floor of Caryl Gardens opposite. As a kid he was in the children's ward opposite - right opposite his window and his Ma and Pa waved all the time. He was teeded off when he saw them sneaking off on hols as he was in for 3 weeks. The hold were booked.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Certainly would have been the Southern Hospital, huge place particularly to a small child. There is a picture from the LRO, dated 1906.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southern Hospital 1906.jpg 
Views:	4077 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	11516  

Thats it M6 Thank you

Waterways- I bet he was

I googled this from Port Cities which is a very good site.

Royal Southern Hospital
    The Southern and Toxteth Hospital was opened on 17 January 1842 in Greenland Street with thirty beds. However, the demand for accommodation was so great that the number of beds was increased to sixty-five. It was decided to add another storey to the building. Much of the money needed for this work was raised by a concert given by Jenny Lind at the Royal Amphitheatre in January 1849. The enlarged hospital reopened with accommodation for seventy more patients. At first, however, only eighty-six beds were in use. Not until after the Crimean War were the 100 beds necessary to qualify as a medical school in use.

Despite numerous innovations the hospital was overcrowded so it was decided to build a new hospital in Caryl Street. The foundation stone was laid in October 1867 and the hospital was formally opened by H.R.H. Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, on 21 May 1872. By Permission of Queen Victoria the title of "Royal" was given to the hospital (its name having already been changed from the "Southern and Toxteth Hospital" to the "Southern Hospital" in 1857).

In July 1937 the Liverpool United Hospitals Act was passed. It amalgamated four Liverpool voluntary hospitals (the Royal Infirmary, the David Lewis Northern, the Royal Southern and the Stanley Hospitals) into a single body. In 1948 the governing body - The United Liverpool Hospitals - was established.

The Southern Hospital was evacuated to premises in the Fazakerley Hospital for Infectious Diseases in 1939, and did not return to Caryl Street until 1950. During the war the Caryl Street site was used by the Admiralty as a training school for merchant navy gunners and named H.M.S. Wellesley. This Royal Southern Hospital was closed on the opening of the new Royal Liverpool Hospital in 1979.

There is a model of it in storage that was in the old museum of liverpool life at mann island.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thank you so much for the fascinating links and info. Im finding the more I discover, the more there is to find out. Absolutely brilliant! Thank you.

I worked at the Southern Casualty as a Student Nurse around 1774/5 and walked down Caryl Street yesterday, really difficult to identify where exactly the hospital and the casualty used to be. Was it on the site of what is now an ambulance station??

Kay you are doing well worked there in 1774

Mossy

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Oh and by the way welcome

Mossy
    You Can Lead a Horse To Water But You Cant Make Him Drink

Yes, the Ambulance Station was built on part of the site in the 1990s.:
    Google Streetview.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,307.86,,0,5

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
    Kay you are doing well worked there in 1774

Mossy

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Oh and by the way welcome

Mossy
    I'm sure Kay means 1974

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast