Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walk of Fame

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LABlue
    Does anyone know whos on the walk at the Festival Gardens or how I can find out ?

Off to work now - 7am here, Will check back in tonight.
    Walk of Fame Pics

I took a pics of every name at the Walk of Fame at the old Festival Gardens. Have a good look at the pics:

Check out the pics here
    Last edited by Kev; 10-27-2007 at 11:09 AM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I went cycling up Otterspool a few weeks back and hardly any of the stars are not cracked. Was one hella bike ride though going to the docks through that way and back though!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Garden Festival Walk of Fame

That list has a definite 80s look to it - shows the value of haviing strict governance of who goes in it in the first place.

Thanks for the link

Default Walk of 'Fame' new ideas

I have posted this on SSC and on another thread here

I would like to widen the thinking to famous 'things' (buildings/ events/firsts) not just people. It has been pointed out thats just reapeat of the Hollywood walk of fame and is very tacky.

Dear all

There has been a thread over on SSC instigated by Billy Butler trying to get the 'walk of fame rienstated from the festival gardens to the Kings Dock . It seems to be general opinion that is a tacky and typically parochial idea of Mr Butler who seems to think Cilla and Tarbuck constitute Liverpool culture.

In order to try and raise the bar a bit am trying to garner interest in an effort to propose something a little more ambitious and meaningful to the powers that be and would like the debate to take place here as well as on SSC ( and anywhere else). Here is a post I made on SSC this evening. Please comment/debate as appropriate.

I think there are some SSC people on this board but if you haven seen me post there I am an expat who now lives near Los Angeles and am trying to find a way to stay involved in issues I care about - trying to faciltate this effort is maybe one way I can help - I have pretty good network of contacts over there still.

regards

LABlue

A proposal

It occurs to me that the first order of the day is to define whatever we want in place of a walk of fame to achieve. What’s its purpose? What are we trying to achieve? Once we get agreement on that aspect it should be clear that a walk of fame in its current incarnation does not meet the objectives and we and others can turn attention to the ‘what’.

I will post my own ideas on the ‘what’ in another post on another day but to start the ball rolling I have outlined some possible objectives for a ‘walk of fame’ type resource for the city . This is based on some research I did into two other famous walks– the Hollywood Walk of Fame here in Los Angeles and the Freedom Trail in Boston. Two very different objectives yet to me combine a sense of what in my opinion makes Liverpool unique.

So here’s the outline – if we can get a quorum agreeing with this – and by agreement I don’t mean agreeing to every word but “CAN YOU LIVE WITH IT, SIGN YOUR NAME TO IT AND ACTIVELY SUPPORT IT”.

If there is enough I will try and shop the notion with some well placed people in Liverpool as a move towards inviting ideas for a resource that achieves these objectives which will hopefully not be a walk of fame in its current form.

I will need your help and suggestions as to who this should go to should we get that far. We need Tony Sebos in put on this imho.

This is meant to have holes shot in it and invite debate. The only thing I ask is that debate ceases at some point and the people who so want to support it move it forward and those that don’t, don’t and resist from torpedoing it from behind the scenes.

A Vision

To provide an informative, educational and entertaining resource for the City Of Liverpool and its visitors to recognize the impacts /contribution of the city and its people to the world on a local, national and international level.

Vision Themes

• A living resource - constantly updated
    • Interactive – encouraging people who use it to want to know more
    • Inwardly looking to the residents of the city and outward looking to the visitors to the city

Guiding Principles

• The notion of impacts ‘locally, nationally and internationally’ are both good and bad and non judgemental.
    • The level of impacts are based on objective review and facts, not just opinion
    • It must be financially self supporting but non profit
    • It must be regarded as high quality
    • It must have a strong and visible governance to ensure its sustainability
    • The governance process must be inclusive of the private, public and voluntary sector as well as individual voices
    • While using elements of other resources in other cities It must be seen as exclusive /unique to Liverpool building on the city’s existing and future strengths
    • It should ensure that it can be expanded to the City Region as appropriate.
    • The ‘people’ of Liverpool does includes those who have proven linkage to the city not just those who born here and currently live there.
    • It should be open to the public 24 hours a day

OK shoot away – I will try and post on the Yo Liverpool Board and feel free to post or email to anyone you think want to get in on this debate. The more the merrier.

I will also ask that we decide a deadline date when we cease talking and decide if there’s enough of a group to move this agenda forward. I suggest a week from now as if we do want to move it forward I will be in the UK 13th -24th August and can meet up with those who want to actively push this .

Many thanks

PS if you’d rather comment privately PM me and I will provide my email address

Heres a couple of links to help stir some thoughts

http://http://www.liverpoolarchitect...ours/index.php

http://http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

Blog Entries

LABlue, you've already posted this here.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Sorry Kev

Didnt mean to block up the forum

I was trying to see if I could widen the discussion away from just a walk of fame to something that would include Liverpoool firsts.

I know I only read certain threads and presume others do the same

please dont ban me !!!

Blog Entries

Thats ok . so to incluse Liverpool Firsts would be an excellent ideas and have thought of that one myself.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Cool walk of fame...

there are lots of places where they have a walk of fame... it is good for the town or city to honour its famous past residents...

I am sure there are many people who have contributed to our great history that could be included

Lemmo...

Cool

great idea, I will peruse this over the weekend..

lemmo...

How about a "Wall of Fame" along the new canal cut across Pier Head done in mosiac

and/or glazed tile with the names and national flags of every foreign government that once had a representative consulate or embassy in Liverpool. Remember,

at one time the only city in the world that had more foreign consulates and embassies was London. It would, in my opinion, be an attraction for foreign

tourists arriving in Liverpool and would feed tourist traffic to Pier Head.

Another idea and along the same lines would be to have a very large

interactive globe with shipping routes to ports that link with Liverpool, both past and present.

And here's another one. Vancouver has very large

fibre glass painted bears and Toronto have moose sprinkled throughout each city and people are always having their picture taken with them. Why not large

Liver Birds around Liverpool city centre?
    Last edited by Sloyne; 11-02-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Fantastic ideas Sloyne - I like all of them.

Blog Entries

Help ... plea to city legends

Oct 27 2007 by Larry Neild, Liverpool Daily Post

FORMER Beatles drummer Ringo Starr is to be asked to launch Liverpool’s own walk of fame with a little help from his friend, Sir Paul McCartney.

Politician Cllr Steve Rotheram, who will be Lord Mayor for most of the city’s year as European Capital of Culture, is determined to introduce the Hollywood-style festivities during his spell at the town hall.

He is to approach Ringo Starr to help create a landmark handprint in Liverpool’s new waterfront Walk of Fame.

The former Beatle has agreed to visit Liverpool early in January when he will help launch the Capital of Culture year.

Cllr Rotheram, currently deputy Lord Mayor, wants to follow up the approach to Ringo by asking Sir Paul McCartney to supply a handprint during his summer visit to the city for his major gig at Anfield.

Other showbusiness stars, soccer legends, and people who have made their mark in business and medicine will also be honoured in the Walk of Fame.

The proposed location for the star-studded walkway will be King’s Waterfront adjacent to the Liverpool Arena and Conference Centre.

Cllr Rotheram said last night: “It would be great to get Ringo to do a handprint and hopefully Paul McCartney can do this when he comes to Anfield in the summer.

“We have so much talent that has emerged from Liverpool, including people from entertainment, business, sport and medicine who should all be celebrated in a Walk of Fame. I am sure it will become a great tourist attraction for us.

“I will bring this up at a meeting of the Culture, Media and Sport select committee meeting on November 5.

For the project to get the go-ahead, funding will need to be secured.

The council’s head of tourism, Keith Blundell, said development costs are set to be in the region of £30,000 and £100,000 depending on the quality of materials adopted for the finished product.

He also said the arena will be a major new entertainment venue within Liverpool and it is appropriate to site a Walk of Fame alongside this development.

A Walk of Fame was created as part of the Liverpool International Garden Festival along Otterspool Promenade in 1984, but that walkway is in a poor state of repair. PICTURES HERE
    Last edited by Kev; 10-27-2007 at 11:06 AM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Otterspool Walk of Fame - GONE!

The 'Walk of Fame' adjacent to the Britannia Inn was ripped up towards the back end of September 2008. I spoke with one of the workers and asked if the flags were being relocated and the answer was 'Not to the best of his knowledge.'

I know a number of the flags were damaged but enough of them were sound enough to form the basis of another 'Walk of Fame' somewhere.

I alerted Radio Merseyside the same day and it was duly reported but since then there has been a deafening silence on all fronts.

Pity I wasn't quick enough to save the Bill Shankley stone - might have made a few bob on E-Bay!

Blog Entries
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by doj View Post
    The 'Walk of Fame' adjacent to the Britannia Inn was ripped up towards the back end of September 2008. I spoke with one of the workers and asked if the flags were being relocated and the answer was 'Not to the best of his knowledge.'

I know a number of the flags were damaged but enough of them were sound enough to form the basis of another 'Walk of Fame' somewhere.

I alerted Radio Merseyside the same day and it was duly reported but since then there has been a deafening silence on all fronts.

Pity I wasn't quick enough to save the Bill Shankley stone - might have made a few bob on E-Bay!
    First.. that is Sad.. wonder what they did with the stones and peoples names.. I am glad Kev you took all the pics of them ... It seems some good ideas Sloan had many moons ago on the posts above.. Yet, that was a piece of history.. now gone, instead of just being restored... Is it the new hotel going up, or what? I got one or two pics of Gerry and the Pacemakers and The Searchers I believe.. that is my memory to cherish...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast