Thread: Harrison Line

Blog Entries

Default Harrison Line

Just in case there are any more Tom & Jerry cast-offs out there.

The Harrison Line Annual Christmas Lunch will be held at the Adelphi on Friday 27th November. Noon arrival with the meal at 1.00. About 200 people turn up each year.

The cost is ?17.50 - no idea how they do it that cheap - and if anyone is interested PM me and I'll send you the details of the person to book through. Places must be booked by 12th November.

After the meal, many will stroll along to The Crown (Lime St) for a few additional sherbets.

I remember having to lodge and pick up bills of lading from their Mersey Chambers office in Covent Garden. The Shipping manager would sit in his elevated position in the middle of the office, like in a court room dock - surveying all around him.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I remember having to lodge and pick up bills of lading from their Mersey Chambers office in Covent Garden. The Shipping manager would sit in his elevated position in the middle of the office, like in a court room dock - surveying all around him.
    Clerks and managers were like little tin pot gods then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I was in there many times, but only the personnel department finding out when I was shipping out again. They had a long board across one end of the room with all of their ships listed - 30 of them when I started. Under each ship was a magnetic name badge, so you could see where everyone in the company was. As you went on leave they'd move your name to a space at the bottom, and when they needed people to join ships they'd pick the names in rotation from the bottom of the board.
    One guy had been on leave for 3 months, expecting to be home for 2 months, and rang the office to see if he'd be needed soon (you were on full pay on leave so don't know why he bothered). He was told he'd be informed as soon as he was needed. After 6 months he rang again, to be told he'd probably hear something soon. After 9 months he rang and was asked which ship he'd been on last, so they could locate his name tag and see where he was on the rotation list. Looking under the ship he mentioned, they couldn't find his tag. Eventually they pulled the filing cabinets away from the wall, and found his tag where it had fallen.

If he'd have kept quiet he could have been at home being paid forever!

Doh..........maybe he wanted to get away from the missus and was cursing them.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Default white or red star line found ,near dock,stanley

my nin worked for harrisson line, the cleaner

Blog Entries

So thats where it is, I lost that in 1955 when I was on the last of the White Star Liners,` Georgic`.
    Thanks for that, I will let you keep it
    Cheers
    Kong.