Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Central Docks Masterplan

Talking The Central Docks Masterplan

Peel plan to build city dock towers

LIVERPOOL'S derelict Central Docks is to be developed with skyscrapers to mirror the Manhattan skyline proposed for Wirral.

The Daily Post can reveal that senior executives from Peel Holdings have already shown their vision for Liverpool's waterfront to council leader Cllr Warren Bradley and chief executive Colin Hilton.

The aim by Peel, owners of the docks as well as Liverpool John Lennon Airport, is to create a stunning high-rise waterfront gateway on both sides of the Mersey.

Buildings of up to 50-storeys high will be a dominant feature of the waterfront, stretching from Central Docks towards Princes Dock, which is also part of the Peel land ownership.

Peel's master plan for Central Docks is expected to be presented to city councillors within weeks. Then the public will be given a chance to the vision for the waterfront for themselves.

On Tuesday, the privately owned company announced details of its £4.5bn plan to create a mini-Manhattan based on Birkenhead Docks to be known as Wirral Waters. Few people realised that, behind the scenes, Peel's director of development, Lindsey Ashworth, had already created a wider master plan embracing both sides of the river.

Last night, Mr Ashworth said: "We are trying to do something spectacular on both sides of the river. Our aim is to develop the Wirral and Liverpool waterfronts simultaneously.

"The schemes we have in mind for Central and Princes will be on a similar level to what we propose in Wirral.

"We want to create clusters of skyscrapers on both sides of the river. That will ensure the Mersey as a waterfront is up there with the very best in the world.

"Until recently, Liverpool had a provisional policy of high-rise buildings, but things have changed. We see skyscrapers as making a bold statement about an area.

"When I first visited Central Docks, I was amazed at its dereliction and the fact that it is just not being used.

"But the site is outstanding and it beggars belief that nothing has happened on the site. It was easier for us to unveil our plans for Wirral first, but our ambitions for Liverpool are not far behind. We are talking about initiatives that can take as long as 30 years to come to fruition. Our wide masterplan takes account of a long timescale and making the most of the waterfronts."

New buildings proposed for Princes Dock are likely to be taller than originally envisaged, as part of the evolving skyscraper strategy for the waterfront.

Last night, city council leader Cllr Warren Bradley said: "I want to see a European-style scheme along the waterfront and I am impressed by what Peel is talking about. The Central and North docks areas are a huge development site and we are talking about a massive project for Liverpool.

"John Whittaker (chairman of Peel) has a reputation for delivering, and I am looking forward to seeing the master plan for this side of the river.

"Liverpool City Council will make sure the facilities are in place to ensure this scheme moved forward. I view Peel as a perfect partner in a regeneration strategy."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Peel plan to build city dock towers

LIVERPOOL'S derelict Central Docks is to be developed with skyscrapers to mirror the Manhattan skyline proposed for Wirral.
    We await the proposal. What the city needs is a framework with cast in concrete points such no filling in of waterways (amending quays to suit is fine as at Wirral waters), and guidline points. They must also adhere to the UNESCO Worl Heritage Points to the letter and exceed the requirement.

"Liverpool City Council will make sure the facilities are in place to ensure this scheme moved forward. I view Peel as a perfect partner in a regeneration strategy."
    A much welcomed move by Peel. I fear the council may sell us down the river. Beware of glitz and look under the surface when it comes.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Default Cenral Docks Masterplan

I hear it's all on the 'Proviso'....The name is changed to 'LIVERPEEL'...

Blog Entries

I was only thinking last night that we should have something as good this side.....hope we see the plans soon
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Warren Bradley is so positive I think he's going to back this to the hilt,I think we're witnessing Liverpool's rise into the super league of World cities it'll probably happen long after we're gone but to watch it happen will be amazing.I'm really looking forward to seeing the masterplan and what those 50 storey towers may look like.

I also look forward to the plan. However, dont you think there may well be something of a glut of office space and apartments? I sincerely hope the plans come to something, but they have to make economic sense!

Quote Originally Posted by bazzacat View Post
    I also look forward to the plan. However, dont you think there may well be something of a glut of office space and apartments? I sincerely hope the plans come to something, but they have to make economic sense!

I have thought about that and I have no answers but I did notice Peel said that these buildings would be affordable and the way prices have gone these days that probably still makes them expensive to make this all viable,but the Wirral Waters scheme would be built in 4 phases and if they built the retail first with a couple of towers and they were reasonably priced who wouldn't want to live there? There wouldn't just be all of these towers built at once remember it's a 30 year vision and the more our city regenerates the more people will want to live here,people can't afford to live in towns and villages all over the country because of the extortonate prices and to them we are relitively cheap so I reckon this can work.I think iI'll try and keep a lid on my excitement until individual buildings start to go into planning but until then I'm going to enjoy the moment.

It is reckoned that at any one time in a city like New York or Chicago that about one third of the office space is vacant.
    This doesn't stop them building new towers all the time though.

Default Source:The North West Enquirer.

Peel steps up docks project
    Published on Jul 13 2006 PEEL Holdings, owner of the Mersey Docks & Harbour Company, has started consolidating its landholdings in the Central Docks area of North Liverpool.

Peel acquired MDHC for £771m late last year and with the operations of the Port of Liverpool took on its 2,000-acre property estate, 300 acres of it available for development.

The Salford-based developer is now in the process of acquiring land outside of MDHC ownership to link up the area for comprehensive redevelopment.

At 70 acres Central Docks is seen as the linchpin in the MDHC development portfolio: it has outline planning permission for 300,000 sq ft of offices and industrial space, 2,000 homes, shops, pubs, restaurants and a marina.

It is understood Peel has approached Kitgrove, the subsidiary of Richcliff which owns Stanley Dock, the problematic 12-acre site in the heart of the area. Stanley Dock contains the 1m sq ft Tobacco Warehouse, and two smaller warehouses to the north and south.

The interior darkness and low ceilings make conversion of the Tobacco Ware-house impossible without vast public subsidy. Peel and Kitgrove declined to comment.

I hope this is fairly recent that building is fantastic.

Blog Entries

That building must be preserved and used, not demolished.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    It is listed by the UK government and under UNESCO World Heritage Status.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Wink The Central Docks Masterplan.

To me,it would be fantastic if 'Peel' could incorporate into their 'Plans' the main contendors in the 'Fourth Grace Competition' (The Race that never Was !!!!) ie.The 'Cullinan'/'Rogers' & 'Foster' building plans...they were superb plans/buildings....Not!! the 'Cloud'....All three of those buildings would fit in superbly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    There's no way they'll be able to knock that down that's why they got it protected under WHS I think Peel may work as a partner with Kitgrove and somehow develop it,it's better than the Albert Dock IMO.

Look in the original post, it said the plans would be unveiled to the public

within weeks, how many weeks?!

It's been a while now, I really can't wait to see what they come up with, and if this and wirral waters

materialise over the next 30 years it will put Liverpool in the top if not at the top of Europe.

I can't wait either they'll probably release them in the new year though.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast