Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Polish community in Liverpool

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    The Ho Lee part was quite depressing. I felt really sorry for this person.
    "We get two types of customer. From 5.30pm to 11pm, educated people eat Vietnamese food and appreciate it. After midnight it's back to Chinese again. Later on, people - even students - make racist comments. It happens at least once a month. We just have to bite our lips. Even now we are struggling, but because Liverpool is capital of culture in 2008 we are hopeful it will change. If it doesn't work out, I'm thinking about going back to Vietnam. More than half my life has been here, but I still feel something is missing.

Asian culture is really close-knit, and my parents are old. I miss them. We have three children. My two young kids love Vietnam. The education here is much better - we sent them to a private school - but they have to stay locked up in the house after school because it's not safe. In Vietnam they could have a life outside."
    Hopefully he will find success whatever he chooses. Just shows what petty lowlifes there is out there.

I agree with you on this one SD it was depressing to read, in fact the stories behind most of the people were really interesting coming from Iraq, Iran, Palestine, Poland.

It was intresting that Ho Lee was thinking of opening a bar selling English pub food in Vietnam ( god help them)

Another interesting story was Arthur Baker who owns Harlem, he was a top DJ/Producer did New Order (Blue Monday)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...051154,00.html
    http://www.beathut.com/magazine/march06/article.htm
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Shapers

Speaking to an old Polish man in his 80s today, he moved here after the war and married a English lady. He was very intresting person indeed and well spoken.

Leaflet campaign to bring out Polish-speaking voters
    Apr 10 2007
    by Paula Owens, Liverpool Daily Post

POLITICAL campaign leaflets in Liverpool will be sent out in Polish as well as in English ahead of the May elections as parties seek to tap into the city’s booming Polish population.

Steve Radford, leader of the minority Liberal group in Liverpool Town Hall, came up with the idea after visiting Polish constituents who were unaware they could register to vote.

He said providing Polish residents with information about the May 3 election will encourage them to vote and give them a greater sense of community involvement.

Cllr Radford, who represents Tuebrook, also hopes the Polish vote will help stop the assault of the far-right BNP, which has nine candidates in Liverpool.

He has prepared the leaflets with the help of some Polish priests and is to start delivering them this week.

Story continues...

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Leaflet campaign to bring out Polish-speaking voters
    Apr 10 2007
    by Paula Owens, Liverpool Daily Post
    Cllr Radford, who represents Tuebrook, also hopes the Polish vote will help stop the assault of the far-right BNP, which has nine candidates in Liverpool.

Story continues...
    "help stop the assault of the far-right BNP" LOL! Great piece of objective journalism.

Regarding the Poles (who I think are fantastic hard workers and are an asset to our country), the journalist obviously has no knowledge of The League of Polish Families. The irony

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    "help stop the assault of the far-right BNP" LOL! Great piece of objective journalism.

Regarding the Poles (who I think are fantastic hard workers and are an asset to our country), the journalist obviously has no knowledge of The League of Polish Families. The irony

This Cllr Radford is an imbecile.To go on record as wanting to make an all out assault on the Liverpool BNP with the help of non Britons is laughable.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Think the Liberals may pick up a few votes in Kenny - not cos they're gonna put leaflets in the new Polish stores, but rather as they are opposing the mass demolition of the area.

I wonder how many Poles have bothered to register to vote? My guess is this is more about attacking the BNP than anything else and using the hype around new (maybe temporary) Liverpudlians as a vehicle for this.

That's politics!

Everyone should be encouraged to vote

The BNP have certainly used the influx of Polish and Eastern European immigrants as an election issue in particular areas in the past.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Everyone should be encouraged to vote

The BNP have certainly used the influx of Polish and Eastern European immigrants as an election issue in particular areas in the past.
    Voting is compulsory in a number of countries, including Australia, Belgium and Greece. There is theoretically a fine of £1,000 in the UK for refusing to register but I've never heard of it being enforced. I can only see number of voters increasing if they can bring in text voting or online voting.

Excerpt from 'Local Democracy after Lyons' by Dr Stuart Wilks-Heeg, Lecturer in Social Policy, The University of Liverpool.

About a third of the electorate will typically vote in British local elections, by far the lowest level in Western Europe. In many ways, it is remarkable that local elections happen at all, given the perilous state of local political parties. In most districts, the local electoral process depends upon a few party activists, operating with extraordinarily limited resources. In some parts of the country, local parties have effectively died. With a dozen or more local activists, the British National Party has found it surprisingly easy to challenge the ascendancy of Labour in traditional ‘strongholds’ such as Burnley and Barking.

Few would dispute that elections are the foundation of local democracy. Yet, with the exception of recent experiments with postal voting, there has been remarkably little done to stem, let alone reverse, the decay of local representative democracy. Instead, the principal response has been to increase the range of ways in which people can express their views about local services. The assumption, presumably, is that the two-thirds of citizens that are not inclined to vote will instead be motivated by the prospect of attending an area committee meeting or responding to a council consultation exercise. Across the country, a thousand flowers have bloomed as local authorities have searched for innovative ways to ‘engage’ local people. Residents of Lancashire may opt to be consulted on key issues via SMS, while Bristol City Council enables local residents to create and sign ‘e-petitions’ on its Website.

In contrast to the pitiful resources available to local party activists, local authorities spend significant sums of money on developing new forms of engagement with the public. Yet, there is little evidence that such mechanisms reach beyond those who already exhibit a relatively high level of participation in local affairs. Evidence from two towns in Northern England suggests that members of local citizens panels are three times more likely to have voted in local elections and five times more likely to be members of political parties than the average local resident. Extra forms of participation do not mean more participants, but rather enhance the capacity of those already participating to have their voice heard in additional ways.

LIVERPOOL LIBERALS PRINT LOCAL ELECTION LEAFLETS IN POLISH

First, it was drivers in Cheshire who had to contend with road signs on their country lanes translated into Polish.

Then, anglers at a Welsh beauty spot were baffled by notices in the Eastern European language warning them of huge fines for illegal fishing.

Now, in a sign of the times, a political party in Liverpool has decided to translate all its leaflets into Polish to try and win votes from the city's booming immigrant community ahead of next month's local elections.

MORE...

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    LIVERPOOL LIBERALS PRINT LOCAL ELECTION LEAFLETS IN POLISH
    Then, anglers at a Welsh beauty spot were baffled by notices in the Eastern European language warning them of huge fines for illegal fishing.
    Most of the Welsh can't understand notices in their own language

Shapers

The Polish working community contribute to the ecomony are an assett. I am all for them having the right to vote.

If I'm not mistaken one of the great things about being part of the EU is that we're entitled to vote in any of the member counties as long as we're resident and on the electoral register.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast