Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
Wasn't Speke airport a Polish air base during WWII? My uncle was a Polish Jew whose familly arrived in Liverpool at the turn of the last century. The familly settled in the Brownlow hill area that was apparently full of Polish Jews with their own shops etc. The old butchers on Pembroke place with the green ceramic tiled front was Polish wasn't it? Can't remember the name though..
Wow! You've brought back memories. My father was Polish, he came to UK in 1945. My Sundays involved Mass at 10am at the local Catholic Church, after which I had to get the bus into Liverpool and walk up Brownlow Hill to the Jewish food shop at the very top up near the University Campus. I can't remember the name but Oy Vey do I remember the delicious aroma! Plait bread, black rye bread, poppy seed bread,bagels, cheesecake, boczek, kielbasa - I brought the lot home! I was only 4ft tall and 9 years of age and I had 2 leather shopping bags which my father made by hand, filled to the brim with Jewish food for my Polish father. He'd never have survived in UK without his kielbasa and black bread. You younguns think a Tesco bagel is a REAL bagel? Think again!