Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool wartime website

Ta.

I've tucked it way for later. On first glance the homepage looks very smart.

If you know someone who served in the wars but dont know much about them, then tell us and we can try and find out more info for you ( no promise, but will try ) plus you can still add them by just their name.

Talk to your rellies for stories on what your ancestors did. remember people working in Liverpool during the war can be added. In fact anyone living through the war in Liverpool is ok, its their stories we want to preserve. and evacuees from Liverpool.

The site is building up nice with a good selection. we have really enjoyed reading the information that people have sent. It gives a great insight into bygone days.

Ant and Ged
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Prisoners of war in Liverpool and soldiers from other countries, Americans, Canadians etc.

Do you have any stories to tell about them, do you remember seeing them?

are you a relative of a German pow who settled here after the war? if so we would like to add your story.

What a fantastic site Well done.

Those amazing pictures of war torn Liverpool - - and what amazes me more is most of those people are still smiling ! such spirit and resilience

Excellent !

Would be even better with your story of the 3 lads added.

Thanks, will do.

I have now uploaded all the stories that have been sent in. six people are preparing theirs for the site and a few more will add when time allows them.

please look http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/

So if anyone else would like a story added then just contact me. Even if you dont know much please add them, lets get them remembered.

Tell your friends and ask them to add their own. We have a wide range of stories on the site now, it makes great reading.

You can contact me if you are unsure of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I have now uploaded all the stories that have been sent in. six people are preparing theirs for the site and a few more will add when time allows them.

please look http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/

So if anyone else would like a story added then just contact me. Even if you dont know much please add them, lets get them remembered.

Tell your friends and ask them to add their own. We have a wide range of stories on the site now, it makes great reading.

You can contact me if you are unsure of anything.
    Hello Spike

These are quite remarkable stories and well worth the read.

I started on the A to C page and read the story of James Brighouse, a stoker first class aboard HMS Exeter when it was sunk in the Java Sea on 1 March 1942, he was captured by the Japanese and died of beri beri in a Japanese prison camp in May 1945. The telegrams to his family announcing that he was missing, then a prisoner of the enemy, and then that he died, are heartbreaking to read. The letter from the King offering sympathy to stoker Brighouse's family is fascinating to see as well.

Then there is the story of John Carney, a Boer War soldier who became a sergeant in the Great War, lost an eye at Ypres and was invalided out in 1915, he succumbed to the Spanish flu in 1918. He was awarded the DCM for his heroism at Ypres. His medal award as published in the London Gazette: reads as follows: 5083 Sgt J. Carney DCM 26.7.17: "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He was largely responsible for silencing the enemy's snipers, and throughout set a magnificent example to those around him."

These are all marvellous stories to read about some outstanding men and women. Thanks, Spike and Ged, for putting this site together to remember the service of these heroes who served their country so well. Thanks also to the families for making these stories available to the world at large.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Thanks Chris

Yes some amazing stories on there. Its the old saying " just when you think you have heard it all up pops another one " It has been a privilege to read them. As you point it it is with thanks to the people who have submitted and allowed their family stories to be shared. Without them the site would not be possible.

Ged has uploaded some fantastic photos to the site

Go see http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.c...ographs-3.html

Superb pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Ged has uploaded some fantastic photos to the site

Go see http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.c...ographs-3.html

Superb pics.

Very fine, Spike. What it makes you realise also is what entirely different world it was. Those old stodgy looking black-painted cars. I was born in 1948 so interesting for me to see the photo "St George's Plateau Air Raid Shelter 1948", and my mates and I watched Buck Rogers and other movie serial shorts at the Plaza Cinema, visible in the shot of "US Mustang Planes Allerton Road."

Fascinating though somewhat appalling to see the utter bomb devastation in "Cable Street Air Raid Damage 1941" with the Victoria Monument and the Liver Building in the distance and "Pitt Street St Michaels Church 1941" with the partially completed tower of the Anglican Cathedral visible as well.

Great stuff!!!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Cheers Chris

Its thanks to Ged as he did the hard work of finding them

Blog Entries

Spike, any idea why they had brick built air raid shelters. Bricks are very poor in a blast situation. Even worse, they had a concrete roof. That would've collapsed on the folk inside.

Was it just a case of we'd better do something.

No Idea pablo

But an interesting question.

Blog Entries

Seen many a brick building collapse with blast damage. Even wood, would've been better.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast