Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool wartime website

Default Navy

Hi Pablo, dont know if this will be of interest to you . My dad was in the Royal Navy during WW2 He was mainly on Destroyers, he was torpedoed 4 times , the l;ast time I think was when he was transfered into the Australian Navy, after being sunk off Java. He was on the Canbberra when she went down , in the Coral sea battle. He was also involved in the sinking of the Scharnorst in one of the Norwegian Ffiords, again on a Destroyer. His name was Arthur Draper , he was an LTOPO. which was a leading torpedo opertaor, and Petty Officer. I hope this will help in any way.
    Cheers Keith Draper.

A big Thank you to Martin for submitting more LRO photos

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.c...-photos-3.html

They are really good.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kdraper42 View Post
    Hi Pablo, dont know if this will be of interest to you . My dad was in the Royal Navy during WW2 He was mainly on Destroyers, he was torpedoed 4 times , the l;ast time I think was when he was transfered into the Australian Navy, after being sunk off Java. He was on the Canbberra when she went down , in the Coral sea battle. He was also involved in the sinking of the Scharnorst in one of the Norwegian Ffiords, again on a Destroyer. His name was Arthur Draper , he was an LTOPO. which was a leading torpedo opertaor, and Petty Officer. I hope this will help in any way.
    Cheers Keith Draper.
    Good story kd. It's amazing that they went back to sea after being sunk. What was going on in their minds. If I went down, I'd say I wanted to try the Air Force now. My uncle was sunk three or four times and he just carried on. I've been on ships in war zones and they lock all the doors to ease up on any damage. It's terrifying to go through. I only had it for a short time. Imagine those guys going through it week after week, month after month. You can't see owt, you can just hear the noises. Your mind fills in the gaps. Brave lads indeed.

Anyone who is waiting for info to be submitted please bear with me as I have been going mad on the overtime at work. I will get around to it.

Hi Spike,
    Can you use JMLE's pics of the War Memorials outside and inside Crawfords on Binns Rd ?
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...awfords&page=4

Also, do you want any of the letters I posted on the WW2 forum, from people of Liverpool and their experiences ?
    I will get my Grandfathers and fathers stuff together too.

Spotted this pic on the LRO too if you want it.

"1947 This view of the Albert Docks two years after the end of the Second World War and shows the resulting damage caused by the bombs. It also shows how not all of the buildings were damaged and that the docks were still active. Two boats are in the water by the undamaged buildings. Through the gap between the two docks the Anglican Cathedral is visible."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpeg 
Views:	182 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	12106  
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Hi Mart

Yes can use those pics and the other.

Will get onto it in a few days. I will contact you first.

Off the pub soon woo hoo, Hangover day tomorrow

Have a good night Spike and everyone else, off to the pub myself !
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Hi Spike and Everyone,
    My Favourite Uncle Ken Buck was from Old Swan.He was in the Liverppol Kings from the beginning of the War 2. He married my Mums sister Marjorie Lunt in 1937.Uncle Ken taught me to March,Slope Arms,Present Arms etc.Also with the Bayonet.Unfortunately it went through the glass lamp in the lounge and stuck in the ceiling.I'm almost in hysterics even now thinking about it.He gave it a jiggle to pull it out and that beautiful fancy plaster circle about 6 ft diameter came down as welland pieces of the ceiling. I am still trying to find out I'm sure he was in the Chindits as I can remember everyone listening to the radio one Sunday morning.Aunty Marj had rerceived a letter saying he would be speaking for about one minute.His Mums Name was Mrs Dowell at this stage and had moved to London and Iam sure ran a Pub with Mr Dowell.Went to London with my Mum where They lived 99,Essendine Mansions, Maida Vale.Lords Cricket Ground was around the corner.Always remember that as a Doodle Bug flew past a couple of miles away (V1). Aunty Marj did the dirty on him and took off with another guy and my Mum had to go and meetthe ship at the Pier Head when he arrived to tell him.He stayed with us a couple of days and then with Mums other sister Dora and her husband Uncle John just back from the Middle East RAF.Never saw him again,but my Mum did.I went to Essendine Mansions and he was away on Holidays and Lived there by himself.The lady in the next Apartment said ,that he was a lovely man and very lonely.The lady must have told him as he went up to the Pool and stayed with Mum and Dad.I was at sea.I visted him again and just missed himby a couple of hours as he had just left for a holiday.Once agai the lady told him and he went to see my Mum and Dad and stayed a few days.I never saw him as I left for Holland to join a new ship being built for a New Zealand Coastal Shipping Co.Aunty Marj lived in Australia with her husband so I did see her but only under a bit of sufferance.I getting a bit long winded Spike anyway I found out about Uncle Kens Dad He was killed in WW1 in 1918.Have photos of his grave Regiment etc.haven't been able to find out if he is on any Memorial in Old swan.Is this the kind of info you want.
    Uncle Ken did marry again and died in 1977 and his wife a couple of years later.I'm pretty sure he was a "Chindit".Great all you guys Pablo etc etc Best Regards ken B

Hi Ken

This is great info and I would be proud to add it to the site. I will pm you.

Hi Spike, I know you are busy !!!, but did you get the papers etc I sent on Eric and my Aunt ?

Hi Squiggs

Yes I got them yesterday.

Just doing something then they are next on my list. Should be up this afternoon.

Smile

Thanks Spike

Hi Squiggs

Added your Aunty to the site.

Squiggs Aunty Mary Roe http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.c...names-o-r.html Near bottom of page.

Thanks Squiggs great to see the girls being added. C,mon people get your rellies added.

Thanks Spike !, could be that I will get another Roe added soon !!....

Did you get the newspaper mentioning Eric Cole I sent it last week ??, it was the London paper with a whole host of service men mentioned !..

Squiggs I dont think I got it.

Can you send it on again please.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast