Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool wartime website

Default Liverpool wartime website

Hi All

We are in the process of creating a website dedicated to Liverpool people who where connected to either of the two world wars. We are hoping that people will submit a short story about their ancestor. You can add more than one ancestor, but please add them single as the list is alphabetical. you can include a photo with your story.

If you only know your ancestors name and they they served in the wars, then please add their name and we will credit it to you.

for example.

John Brown
    served during WW2

submitted by his great nephew Jack Hughes.

Your ancestor does not have had to have died in the wars, they can have served and come back home, been prisoners of war, Merchant Navy. home guard, air wardens, police firemen on duty, victims of bombing etc. anything that connects them to the wars and to Liverpool is fine.

We are also hoping to find stories about women during the wars, nurses, munitions workers, again anything that connects them to Liverpool and the wars. When we say connects to Liverpool we want anyone born or living in Liverpool at some time, or people who where stationed or worked in Liverpool.

Anything you submit will be credited to yourself. The site will not be profit making and no charges apply to anyone. It is there to honour and remember the people of Liverpool during the two world wars. We have had a good response so far so please be patient with us and we will reply to you. The site is not online yet, we are looking at 4-5 weeks before it is up and running. Once it is online you can still submit your ancestors.

If you are interested then please email us at wartimeliverpool@yahoo.com

regards

Ant and Ged ( and many more helpers )

BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Hi Spike,

I've just had a quick look at your site, wartimeliverpool
    You've put quite a bit of work in already.
    It looks interesting.

Keep up the good work.

Tony

Will do, great idea Tony and Ged.

Mart
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Tony's done all the work up to now, a great idea and i'll help where I can, I can see it getting busy. Personally I had two grandads that were incapacitated due to WWI and died afterwards due to this so are not marked on war graves as dying during the war but certainly early in life because of it.

Well done Tony.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

We have the 3 brothers in the family - all young men in their 20's who all went down on the same ship. Their names have been mentioned in a film.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    We have the 3 brothers in the family - all young men in their 20's who all went down on the same ship. Their names have been mentioned in a film.
    What a waste of life. How would a mother come to terms with that. They were a special breed in them days.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    What a waste of life. How would a mother come to terms with that. They were a special breed in them days.
    The weird thing was that their father had gone down at sea too - off the coast of NewFoundland !

The mother was left with one remaining son & daughter.

ps,

thanks to Ken Berry on this forum, he gave us some very interesting and helpful information regarding this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    The weird thing was that their father had gone down at sea too - off the coast of NewFoundland !

The mother was left with one remaining son & daughter.
    Jeez, when you hear of these personal stories from the war, it really brings it home to you the futility of it all.

4 Fagan brothers, no relation to me that I know of but from my old area, all went, found by Spike when he was looking up the Eldon St war memorial.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    4 Fagan brothers, no relation to me that I know of but from my old area, all went, found by Spike when he was looking up the Eldon St war memorial.
    It was three brothers Ged, unless ive missed one.

here they are http://www.freewebs.com/eldonmemww1/notonmemorial.htm

These stories should be added, dont let them go unremembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Tony's done all the work up to now, a great idea and i'll help where I can, I can see it getting busy. Personally I had two grandads that were incapacitated due to WWI and died afterwards due to this so are not marked on war graves as dying during the war but certainly early in life because of it.

Well done Tony.
    You wont be saying Well done when you adding them all to the site

Your two Grandad's stories are the type im hoping will be added, along with many others.

Yes we remember those that died at war and rightly so, but lets not forget the others as well. You can of course add people who died at war also.

While researching many people have contacted me telling me about their relatives service and jobs during the wars, and of their own time as evacuee's ( have I spelt that right ? ) so why not have a site with all these stories on? I think it will be very interesting.

So c,mon people send your stories, ask anyone you know, lets remember them all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    It was three brothers Ged, unless ive missed one.

here they are http://www.freewebs.com/eldonmemww1/notonmemorial.htm

These stories should be added, dont let them go unremembered.
    Thanks for that Spike. A bloody tragedy.

Blog Entries

I had an uncle who was torpedoed three times. The last time he was the longest survivor alone on a raft. An American sailor beat him in the end somewhere in the Pacific. Lost two great uncles in the First World War too.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    I had an uncle who was torpedoed three times. The last time he was the longest survivor alone on a raft. An American sailor beat him in the end somewhere in the Pacific. Lost two great uncles in the First World War too.
    Submit them Pablo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Submit them Pablo
    I'll have to find out more info. Don't know their names or units. I shall find out though.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast