Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool wartime website

He joined up with the Kings Squiggs. It was later in the war so he was sent where he was needed, so transfered to the Welsh.

I dont know too much about this subject but he probably enlisted and trained with the Kings, and the regiment he signed for was overseas. So the Army sends him where he is needed. The Welsh where most likely getting ready to go to France and he is sent there to boost numbers.

It happened to a lot of men. Some 3 or 4 transfers.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Mystery solved !....thank you X

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I can be thick at times.

As he died here he comes under England and Wales deaths. dont matter that he was in service at the time.

Here are his details age 49 Carlisle 10b 707

April/May/June 1917 Quater.

Does not include his middle name but this is him for sure.
    I've ordered the certificate & hopefully it will arrive this week

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Louise View Post
    Robbo, I thought you would be interested in the following information,

The Royal Defence Corps was a corps of the British Army formed in August 1917 and disbanded in 1936
    I'm curious about the date that John Thompson Reay died as on CWGC list his death in May 1917 but the Royal Defence Corps didn't start until August 1917.......maybe I'll find out more when I get the certificate
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Blog Entries

Spike, any idea how I can find out about this guy. I got this private message and I said I would help if I could.

all i no was e was a dessert rat was in rangoon jail for nearly 5 years is name stanly williams he is on a picture named rangoon jail and thats all i no about is record apart from the fact e was heavly scarred so much so their wasnt a inch of flesh on his back that wasnt scarred and he cum back a madman we ara all from dingle

Hi Pablo I dont know anything on this subject.

read this http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/pow/rangoon.html

My wife's great uncle was a POW in Thialand and came home in a terrible state,nearly starved to death. He had to be fed bread dipped in milk for weeks.

I am reading up about it all at the moment, but unsure where to research. I shall put it on the WW2 site and see what comes back.

Blog Entries

Thanks Spike, I shall go through it.

Pablo can you get a copy of the picture he is on?

Blog Entries

I'll see what I can do.

See if they know when he died? what year if possible.

Was you a child during WW2? where you evacuated? will you tell us stories of your time in Liverpool or as an evacuee?

Do you remember the foreign soldiers being in Liverpool?

Did you witness any dog fights in the skies.

We are after any story connected to Liverpool and wartime. you can place it here or pm me or email me at hogantho@aol.com

We will credit you for the story on the site.

Please dont let your stories go untold, lets remember them all, men, women children are all welcome. What did your mam, aunty, grannie do in the war. Where your men relatives killed or serve in the war. Did they work as dockers etc.

If all you know is a name you can still add them to the site.

Get asking your older relatives what they know, tell your friends to do the same.

The site is coming along and I am working on it every day. It will go online on 11th November. The only day it could really.

So ive got two weeks to get it ready

But it will go online that day.

Remember you can add to the site now or after it is online.

I sent off for my Great Uncle George Williams grave photograph who died in WW1, the photograph came today along with a photograph of the cemetary, it was a very moving moment as I am the first person in my family to " see his last resting place".

Brilliant Squiggs, well done for getting the photo.

It is very moving, treasure that photo and think how much it will mean to other relatives that you show it to.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Spike, any idea how I can find out about this guy. I got this private message and I said I would help if I could.

all i no was e was a dessert rat was in rangoon jail for nearly 5 years is name stanly williams he is on a picture named rangoon jail and thats all i no about is record apart from the fact e was heavly scarred so much so their wasnt a inch of flesh on his back that wasnt scarred and he cum back a madman we ara all from dingle
    Hi Pablo

I asked a few people on the ww2 forum, here are the replies.

" As far as I am aware the Far East P.O.W. Lists have never been Published.
    There are lists at Kew though and the File you would need is WO 392/26.

Name Rank No., Date of Capture,date of release and the location of Last Camp is also given. "

KEW http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...e=ddmenu_shop3

" I have a friend who is researching Rangoon Jail for Chindits, i will pass the name to him in case he has come across it.

Got this back for you:

Had a quick look on my lists, 5 Williams?s. Two 13th King?s, one Royal Inniskilling, a US Marine and one other with no christian name. (none named Stanley). No-one spent more than 3 years in the jail. The early POW?s were mainly men captured from the retreat at Sittang. If they can find out more info, especially regiment, I may be able to explore further.

If he was from Liverpool then the 13th Kings may be a good bet - more likely a Chindit that a Desert Rat. "

Not much, but it may help. Ask them for any details that they have, the photo would be a great help as I could post it on the WW2 site and see what they come up with.

The Chindits were the brainchild of General A Wavell and Ord Wingate. Wavell then C in C in India sent for Wingate in 1943 with the task of organising guerilla activity against the Japanese forces in Burma. The name 'Chindit' was a corruption of the Burmese word for winged stone lion - the guardians of the Buddhist temples.
    The original Chindit formation was officially known as the 77th infantry brigade - assembled for Wingate's operation Longcloth in Burma in 1943. Wingate assembled British, Gurkha and some Burma rifles and using innovative training methods welded them into a seven column brigade totalling about 3,000 men, with hundreds of mules, Oxen and Elephants carrying their supplies.

The unit comprised:

13 Battalion Kings Liverpool regt
    3rd Bn 2nd Gurkha rifles
    2nd Bn Burma rifles
    142nd Commando company

Taken from here http://www.burmastar.org.uk/chindits.htm

I hope we can find him.

If you can come up with any more info. we can try again for you.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that Spike. Still waiting for him to come back to me.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast