Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool wartime website

Hi Paul

Ive never heard this story. Wonder if Martin knows about it.

Would you like to add your relative to the war website?
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

From the book “The Liverpool Firebobbies” Volume two by Frank O’Reilly

"17 (Night) September 1940: Widespread severe damage to house property and shops. Church Lockerby Road Seriously damaged. Eight auxiliary firemen killed in Green Lane, Old Swan, and one policeman fatally injured in Currie Street. Heaviest casualties to date. "

thats all there is in the book. Ged Fagan has mentioned to me a MFS folder in the LRO, I'll take a look next time I'm in there.

Mart
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Nice one Mart, great info.

Cheers Martin.

The Firemens details are on the CWGC site.

Trouble with WW2 is it was kept out of the newspapers so the enemy could not see what had happened. So we need to find people's accounts of what happened.

There should also be first hand accounts / statements, maybe in the LRO, got some digging to do.

I can get the details off CWGC if it helps. Gives names and sometimes address, next of kin.

Thumbs up Liverpool Blitz, Firemen

Thank lads for your efforts, using the info I also managed to, I think, trace one of my mums cousins, "Eddie Barton" All she knew was that he went down on a sub but had no further details. I Found a Michael Edward Barton on the CWGC site, and as far as I can see he was the only submariner called Barton with Edward in his name. He went down on HM Sub P48 25th December 1943. Got that info from this link;
    http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/3555.html. I guess you are familiar with it, but if not it may help in research, thanks again.
    Last edited by Paul831; 05-08-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: missed a few words out!

Paul its mentioned here http://users.swing.be/NavBattle/+navires/3496.html

found this

William Martin John, Telegraphist, D/JX 156509, Royal Navy. William was the Son of John and Elizabeth John, of Goodwick, and served in the Royal Navy aboard HM Submarine P. 48. She had been commissioned in June 1942, after being built by Vickers-Armstrong at Barrow. Moving to the Mediterranean straight after commissioning, P. 48 departed from Malta on 23 December 1942 under the command of Lieutenant M.E. Faber. She was sunk with the loss of her entire crew two days later whilst attacking an Italian convoy in the Gulf of Tunis, after being depth charged by two Italian torpedo boats, the Ardente and the Ardito. The submarine was officially declared overdue on 5 January 1943, and that is the date given for William's death aboard her. He was 22 years old, and is commemorated on the Plymouth Naval Memorial, Devon.

also this, sister sub in the photo http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chr...SS-09U-P48.htm

Small info on the sub http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?16152

Not found much on the sub sorry.

Cheers Spike, I would be very happy for you to add my Grandad to your site, I will do a bit more digging with older relations back in Liverpool to confirm that I have the right Eddie Barton, and get back to you on that one, thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by Paul831 View Post
    Cheers Spike, I would be very happy for you to add my Grandad to your site, I will do a bit more digging with older relations back in Liverpool to confirm that I have the right Eddie Barton, and get back to you on that one, thanks again,
    Cheers Mate.

Anytime. Just say and I will add him.

has anyone spotted any info on george morton and madeline nee thorpe on there?? They died in december 1940 at eldon place.???

Default Lucky us.

Hi Spike, this thread makes great reading. I don't know whether my story will fit but here goes. I was born in my Aunts house on Herbert st. right next to Walton Hospital, April 17 1941, just in time for the May blitz. However my mum, two sisters and brother lived in the end house on Romley st. When the sirens went off they would hide under the stairs instead of going out to the shelter. Then when me mam said it was time for me to show myself she took the kids and went to my aunts house on Herbert st.where I was born. Anyway when they eventually got back to the house on Romley st. the back of the house had been blown in by a bomb and all the debris from the blast had finished up under the stairs. They would have all been killed. Shortly after this my Grandma (Nena) packed us all up and we were evacuated to Clay in Wales. Fortunately we all survived the war. My Dad was in Africa when I was born and he was captured and shipped to Italy. He managed to escape and travel to Switzerland where he stayed until he was demobbed.

Sorry Oldscouse I missed your post.

Yes this is what we are after.

I will pm you.

Cheers

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast