Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Everton District

Default SWEETIES

Well as this is the Everton thread I will put this in here.
    I was looking around to see who made Everton Mints these days and came across this >>>>>>

http://www.sugarboy.co.uk/acatalog/Barker_&_Dobson.html.

Barker and Dobsons had a production plant at ?Franklin Place, Whitefield Road. Quite a few families, including my Grandma and aunties worked there.
    What I did not know was the link with Paradise Street.

Good old Google

Phredd

it may stop the snipes going on

As for why Scottie Road and the surrounding area is always touted up whenever Liverpool is mentioned. You only have to go on any expat site or even drink with people in Speke, Kirkby, Skelmersdale, Norris Green etc to realise the real mass exedus to those parts brought about by the slum clearance programmes, then later the Mersey tunnel excavations and then the tenement demolitions in the area. It was densely populated but look at it now.

It also was home to many talented people, like them or not...

George Stubbs, James William Carling and James Daniels - all painters who have works of art in the Walker and in the U.S.A. all were born or resided there at one time, shall we mention Cilla again. Radio Merseyside's, Linda McDermott, David Logan, Bob Parry and Bessie Braddock all associated with the area as was Kitty Wilkinson of Denison Street - founder of the wash -houses.

All ocean going vessels have their main corridor christened 'Scotland Road' - even the Titanic.

The Titanic 'family' also have strong connections with the Friary church. Check out more on www.scottiepress.org

Europe's first municipal housing was built off Scotland Road as were the 2nd scheme (which won an advanced architectural award) and the 3rd.

Eldon Street flats in 1905 were the first pre-fabricated housing anywhere.

Dr. Duncan. Britain's first health minister was assigned to the area in 1847 and he and James Newland succeeded in doubling the areas life expectancy whilst in office, detailing and improving many things which benefited the whole population of Britain at the time.

There are many more interesting facts that could be unearthed, have you ever wondered what became of the little black boy from Eldon place in that scene with the street urchins around the Steble Fountain. He went on to perform in a troupe all over the world.

There's also a famous author from there who wrote three books about the tennies but his name slips my mind for now ha ha.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Been reading all the threads about Scottie etc and it jogged my
    memory. My granny, Gladys Knibb, lived in Great Mersey St for many
    years before moving to Winchester Rd off Townsend.
    When I left school in the mid 60,s, I worked as an apprentice TV engineer
    for Telefusion who had a workshop in Conway St. My weekly wage £2.56
    I think the premises were an old church, any photo,s of the area would be
    great.

I just came across this on YouTube. Skip through the first 2 minutes or so and see a magnificant archive of the Everton area from 1965. Previous visitors to Margaret Street baths will feel the cold wind on their wet hair when they watch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRll0...elated&search=

chippie

Default my salad days

I just wanted to say that the Everton district video on utube was so nostalgic to me. I was brought up in the district many moons ago. My 15 minutes of fame being in the crowd in Deacon Street next to Grants gardens in the early 60s while "The Searchers" were playing "Bits and Pieces" for "Top of the Pops" I loved Everton then but alas my memories have faded due to the demolition of the core. Thanks for the memories members.

Chippie - you never told me that before !!
    I didn't know you were in that film of the Searchers !

I saw her today.

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    I just wanted to say that the Everton district video on utube was so nostalgic to me. I was brought up in the district many moons ago. My 15 minutes of fame being in the crowd in Deacon Street next to Grants gardens in the early 60s while "The Searchers" were playing "Bits and Pieces" for "Top of the Pops" I loved Everton then but alas my memories have faded due to the demolition of the core. Thanks for the memories members.
    Was it 'Needles & Pins' you are getting mixed up with !?
    'Bits & pieces' ... that's Dave Clarke Five isn't it ??

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I saw her today.
    I saw her Face...(Next)

It was a Face I loved.....(Get it !!)

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Was it 'Needles & Pins' you are getting mixed up with !?
    'Bits & pieces' ... that's Dave Clarke Five isn't it ??
    Needles & PinsAA

I know all the words to "Bits & Pieces", but can't remember who did it!

I could Google, I suppose.

Hi Guys (& Gals).

I used to Live in St Georges Street!(Our Parlour was situated were they Built one of the Lift Shafts for St Georges Heights)!

We were 'Forced Out' when a Council Employee told My Parents (& Neighbours) that there was a Large Crack in the Sandstone Foundations under Our Houses (caused by the Blitz),and that We were putting Our Own Lives at Risk by Living There (and that Nothing could be Built on this Land!).

6 Months Later, the Foundations for 'The Big White Monstrousity' were put in place, in hindsight the Council Must have already Given a Date to the Contractors to start work Before Anyone had even Moved Out!

Also, they were in such a Rush to Throw Up 'The Bradocks' (on the opposite side of Neddy) that They did'nt even do any Proper Surveys, they did'nt even Know about 'The Seven Wells' till being told by a local Pensioner (who born in the same House she then Lived in, which had had it's Yard 'Disappear' into a Great Hole @4 times during Her Lifetime), that is Why one of the Bradocks Blocks was Built further back from the road (when they tried to pour the Foundations they Used to 'Disappear' into a 'Bottomless Hole' each Night, so they decided to build it Away from the site of the Old Well!)

P.S.

'Bits & Pieces' is/was one of Dave Clark Fives Signature Pieces!

Pegasus. A great bit of info, I've read that before, I assume it was you, so you must've posted it before somewhere, it was ages ago.

You might be interested in the High Rise page on my website below.

Ged.

Thanks for the Pic's Link!

Yes, it was probably one of My posts on the web (somewhere!) that You read!

The Pensioner was known as Granny Mayor (or Myer), I will have to ask My Mother (again!) where she used to Live!

Gerard

Hello Pegasus and welcome to the group

Blog Entries

Hi Pegasus welcome to Yo Liverpool
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast