Hello. I am a student, and for my project I am trying to find out more about Everton and other parts of north Liverpool.

This is my question. I wanted to know why unemployment is high in Everton and other parts of north Liverpool; and why such a lot of people who live there are not active in the labour market, eg are on Invalidity Benefit.

I have visited a few times to try to find out why, asked people questions, looked around, and I cannot work this out.

There are lots of jobs in the centre of Liverpool. Lots of them. Construction, retail, security, cleaning, office jobs - temp, part time, permanent etc. More jobs than all the unemployed people in Everton. But only a few miles away, people who say there are no jobs.

What is going on?

One girl I spoke to, looked about 18, said she would not work "in town". I asked her why, she said she didn't like going into town. Is this typical? Are there people in Liverpool who do not travel to the centre of the city at all, in their lives?

Does anyone know what is wrong here? Is it because there are not enough jobs? Is it because people in some areas are too scared to go into the centre of the city to take up jobs?

I would love to know what the real problem is, I am not able to find an answer to this.

Thanks for any views or information you can provide.