YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Everton District

Thanks

Default Everton District

Hello. I am a student, and for my project I am trying to find out more about Everton and other parts of north Liverpool.

This is my question. I wanted to know why unemployment is high in Everton and other parts of north Liverpool; and why such a lot of people who live there are not active in the labour market, eg are on Invalidity Benefit.

I have visited a few times to try to find out why, asked people questions, looked around, and I cannot work this out.

ADVERTISING

There are lots of jobs in the centre of Liverpool. Lots of them. Construction, retail, security, cleaning, office jobs - temp, part time, permanent etc. More jobs than all the unemployed people in Everton. But only a few miles away, people who say there are no jobs.

What is going on?

One girl I spoke to, looked about 18, said she would not work "in town". I asked her why, she said she didn't like going into town. Is this typical? Are there people in Liverpool who do not travel to the centre of the city at all, in their lives?

Does anyone know what is wrong here? Is it because there are not enough jobs? Is it because people in some areas are too scared to go into the centre of the city to take up jobs?

I would love to know what the real problem is, I am not able to find an answer to this.

Thanks for any views or information you can provide.

Thanks

Interesting research method - asking loaded questions on a web forum.

May I ask where you are a student and what you are studying?

Thanks

I am doing my Masters @ Warwick. I don't know which are the loaded questions. The employment rates between the wards varies so much within Liverpool it's incredible, like there are two cities, north and south almost. The unemployment rates in Everton are very high, and the employment rate is very low. I don't understand why this is. It's not loaded, it's a really open question. Is it the place? Is it the people? Is it that employers are discriminating? Has something happened to make some bits of the city more insular than others? I am being told to use mixed methods for my project, so I have done statistical analysis of the unemployment / employment situation. I've also read studies and tried to find out what causes this, but none of them really say. So I have been, visited, spoken to strangers, and have been trying to get some people to be interviewed - like teachers in the schools, but it's wrong time of year.....!

So does anyone know what the problem is? There is a problems - lots of people in that area are pissed off and poor and it feels miserable and I don't know what the solution is but before it's solved surely people have to find out why it's gone wrong? If that's loaded, sorry, but the facts speak for themselves, and I hope someone will say what they think the problems are here.

If this isn't the right place then sorry - but I don't think it's a crime to ask questions

Thanks

You're doing a Masters, and you're asking questions that an enlightened ten year could answer?
    THERE IS A PROBLEMS? Try completing GCSE English before attempting to unravel the social problems of a deprived area mate.
    Who was the greatest of them all?
    Little, Curly, Alan Ball.
    R.I.P. Bally.

Thanks

Now now, let's have no knitpicking here. I have A level English grade A but I didn't bother spell checking and I was rushing. Seems that maybe people here are not very interested in this topic, but I think it's really interesting. I see this quite a lot on the net - people are often not keen to participate in research projects when they are asked, but a lot of people (doing research) don't say what they are doing, they just type out opinions, a few questions, and see where it goes - a more subtle method but I like to be upfront.

I'm just scoping the issues here, it's qualitative background I am after, to try to get some clues about good questions to ask when I finally get some proper interviews set-up. The questions might be easy ones, but the answers are elusive - there is no single or simple answer I can find as to why people born in Everton will be poorer and live shorter lives than those born a few miles further south. I will put my project up here if people want, once its complete - so people can see what I come up with.
    Last edited by macca; 08-26-2006 at 05:07 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Good idea Macca, I certainly could'nt offer you any info, I don't have the experience in such matters but good luck with your project.
    YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast