Thread: Liverpool Cental To Edge Hill Tunnel Connection

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

Default Liverpool Cental To Edge Hill Tunnel Connection

anyone got any infomation on the actual layout of liverpools underground i diagram would be great there is disused tunnels everywhere and i want to understand what happend an what got done with the plan to connect to the wapping tunnel i look out the window and theres is so much different levels a tunnel up in the air i just want to understand it better how far did the go towards the wapping tunnels before they stopped? and was there ever any starting connection towards the waterloo tunnel?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    anyone got any infomation on the actual layout of liverpools underground i diagram would be great there is disused tunnels everywhere and i want to understand what happend an what got done with the plan to connect to the wapping tunnel i look out the window and theres is so much different levels a tunnel up in the air i just want to understand it better how far did the go towards the wapping tunnels before they stopped? and was there ever any starting connection towards the waterloo tunnel?
    Here is the plan. Two routes, One via the Waterloo Tunnel which dropped in favour of the Wapping Tunnel. The work actually started and was abandoned - the header tunnels were bored to a few metres deep at Central Station. Abandoning this ciry centre to Edge Hill Link was a massive mistake. It prevented the east of the city electric rail access to city centre.

Below: The Northern line tunnel was dropped to run underground in the 1970s. It took a part of the top space of the Wapping Tunnel. This is not a problem if the tunnel is to be reused as the tackbed can be dropped to run under the obstruction.

Look at these links:

Extending Merseyrail

Historic Tunnels
    Merseyrail
    Last edited by Waterways; 09-17-2009 at 05:25 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

There are some threads on the site about this. Waterways has a few maps I think. Try a search on railways. If I get time I will have a look for you and let you know.

wow what a great site page

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/watercity...xtensions.html

if only merseyrail produced an looked into this instead of ignoring it an going for money wasteing scemes such as merseytram and updating stations that are hardly used or needed such as bootle orriel road

i have tryed so much to get them to listen but still no luck i have wrote an contacted so many people was even on bbc news about it still nothing i think we need a lot more people to speke to make them listen but doubt that will happen anytime soon at least the cleared the old waterloo tunnel

Blog Entries

if only merseyrail produced an looked into this instead of ignoring it an going for money wasteing scemes such as merseytram and updating stations that are hardly used or needed such as bootle orriel road

i have tryed so much to get them to listen but still no luck i have wrote an contacted so many people was even on bbc news about it still nothing i think we need a lot more people to speke to make them listen but doubt that will happen anytime soon at least the cleared the old waterloo tunnel
    They cleared the Waterloo Tunnel to keep vermin down. They also did the same at the Kirkdale-Rice Lane flyover tunnel as well.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

i have tryed so much to get them to listen but still no luck i have wrote an contacted so many people was even on bbc news about it still nothing
    Speak of words like rapid-transit metro and socio/economic benefits. Examples of of the London Docklands and Jubilee line encouraging investment.

They take not notice to train spotters/enthusiasts and trainspeak.
    Last edited by Waterways; 09-22-2009 at 12:58 PM.

how it once was?

o is that why they cleared the tunnels after all these years i thought they was investigation the possibility of reopeneing them, merseyrail are useless!

Bootle Oriel rd is use a fair bit. It's right by the town hall and hugh baird college so there are quite alot of ppl using it.

Blog Entries

o is that why they cleared the tunnels after all these years i thought they was investigation the possibility of reopeneing them, merseyrail are useless!
    Oritelad, you may find Merseytravel are the body that decides rail expansion, not Merseyrail, which is run by NedRail. Nedrail/Serco just run the existing system. Merseytravel decided to implement the trams because public money was available, not because the city needed it. See this thread:
    Merseytram - the case against

Not sure who owns the tunnels, maybe NetworkRail or whoever they are these days. They did assess the tunnels after the garbage was cleared.

Last edited by Waterways; 09-22-2009 at 02:19 PM.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Stephen Wolstenholme of the Department for Transport in Westminster, regarding the re-use of the tunnels under Liverpool's city centre, stated on 8th October 2008, "No such discussions with Merseytravel have taken place". He went on, "The Government?s current policy is that the shape of the rail network may need to change in the longer term, but the agenda for the period to 2014 should focus on meeting demand growth on the existing network. The Department?s plans were set out in the rail White Paper published in July 2007."

The passage, "focus on meeting demand growth on the existing network". Merseyrail is the existing network. Merseytram is a proposed network. There maybe hope that the tram scheme is killed stone dead in February at the latest. Then Merseytravel have to focus on the existing rail infrastructure and use it. Which they should have done 10 years ago.
    Last edited by Waterways; 09-22-2009 at 03:01 PM.

how it once was?

The "power that be" just don't have a clue do they? They're now "consulting" on a new high speed rail link from London when, had they ignored a few NIMBYs they could have had a high-speed route all the way from the Channel Tunnel to Liverpool via the Central Railway project.

I'm sure u'll be happy with this http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...2534-24747840/

They've just done this at Liverpool South Parkway. Don't ask me why but they've redesigned the old bike storage area into an Executive waiting area. Dunno if anyone has seen it but it seems like a total waste of money and it's in completely the wrong place