Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roads

Blog Entries

Default Roads

165 jobs hope at £7m airport business site. WORK is about to begin on a £7m development at the former Speke Aerodrome terminal complex. The three-acre scheme will occupy the cleared site of a large hangar on Banks Road and will offer 50,000 sq ft of space combining office and business accommodation. The project is being developed by Leeds-based regeneration firm, Priority Sites, working closely with regeneration agency, Liverpool Land Development Company. It is anticipated that the development will create up to 165 jobs when occupiers move in. more

This plus the Matchworks 2 development opposite plus the development of The Old Firestation, plus the massive factories further down for that print factory plus the widening of the road have all made Banks Road, Garston a mess for residents attempting to leave their homes any time of the day. The road id full of mud, its choker busy with the retail park anyway!!

Good news on the jobs front and regeneration, but not for 'ickle old me
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

A.D.Williams

Those roadworks are taking the mickey, Kev. How many times must they close one lane of Speke Road? Why did they not work over the Easter break to finish the work on a major road into the downtown area?

Not impressed!!

Gnomie

Edge Lane is to start work tommorrow on the road widening scheme. It is believed the work will take over 1 year.

Old swan cant take anymore traffic ,its bad enough as it is. Now us and Wavertree will get most of Edge lanes traffic. This council is mad

Blog Entries

The amount of plants they are ripping up is terrible. The retail park causes jams all the way along speke rd and in the oposite by the new PC World.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    165 jobs hope at £7m airport business site. WORK is about to begin on a £7m development at the former Speke Aerodrome terminal complex. The three-acre scheme will occupy the cleared site of a large hangar on Banks Road and will offer 50,000 sq ft of space combining office and business accommodation. The project is being developed by Leeds-based regeneration firm, Priority Sites, working closely with regeneration agency, Liverpool Land Development Company. It is anticipated that the development will create up to 165 jobs when occupiers move in. more

This plus the Matchworks 2 development opposite plus the development of The Old Firestation, plus the massive factories further down for that print factory plus the widening of the road have all made Banks Road, Garston a mess for residents attempting to leave their homes any time of the day. The road id full of mud, its choker busy with the retail park anyway!!

Good news on the jobs front and regeneration, but not for 'ickle old me
    Took the 86A ages to get past the New Mersey. Getting onto Speke Road (Airport Bound) off Horrocks Avenue is a nightmare! Must have taken an extra 15mins to get through it all. normally, the bus cruises along!

Surely Edge Lane is alright the way it is. If the light's at Durning Roadwern't there, then there would be no problem. Personally, the junction should be moved to Beech Street so that Sheil Road Traffic doesn't need to use Holt Road. I would then Pedestrianise Holt Road so that the shops can be easlily accessed on foot. I would also clean the brickwork up and put some awnings on the shop fronts too. The lighting could be changed but to be honest, I don't think that is needed.

Durning Road would be blocked off and traffic would use Botanic Road instead. It looks just as wide as Durning Road and so should be more than capable to take on the extra traffic.

The Grand Houses on Edge Lane would then remain intact and I would try to get Urban Splash in to revovate the properties. This would require the demolision of Royston Street so that the properties can have sizaeable back gardens and off street parking. Something people want in a inner city envionment!

That would be my plan for Edge Lane anyway. Seems the most realistic rather than pulling everyting down and moving people out of their homes.
    Last edited by wallasey; 07-16-2006 at 05:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Our Roads

THE pothole-riddled road around Liverpool's historic Sefton Park would need a £4m injection of cash to cure the problem, city councillors have been told. more

I can confirm the road is appauling and falls apart literally under your wheels, with new holes appearing daily and getting wider. My poor mini doesnt stand a chance
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

A.D.Williams

What about the road works at the top of Banks Road by the old fire station? Just how long does it take to put in a few new traffic lights? Not happy at all Kev!!!

We just had our road redone and potholes sorted .

Hate Potholes though and lumpy roads were trees grow into the ground cracking it.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A.D.Williams View Post
    What about the road works at the top of Banks Road by the old fire station? Just how long does it take to put in a few new traffic lights? Not happy at all Kev!!!

Yes I know, we can't even get out of our rd during busy times. The build up of traffic along speke rd to the retail park too is atrocious.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Those roadworks are taking the mickey, Kev. How many times must they close one lane of Speke Road? Why did they not work over the Easter break to finish the work on a major road into the downtown area?

Not impressed!!

Dave, the surface seems near complete, they seem to have pulled their fingers out over the last few days. All that is needed now is the rd markings and a tidy up, at last!!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

MOTORISTS are being urged to avoid Lime Street from today as the latest phase of the Big Dig gets under way. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Lightbulb Rocket Flyover - Queens Drive

This is probably the busiest junction in Liverpool and is a notorious accident blackspot. The main problem is the flyover which has six ground supports which take up alot of road space underneath the flyover.
    I think it would be a good idea for the flyover to be completely replaced with a suspension bridge/flyover similair to the new bridge in southport. (see images below)

This would mean that the flyover would probably only need two ground supports, one at either end, rather than the existing six. The rest of the flyover would be supported by the suspension cables. The main difference would be that the flyover might need two cable supports, one at either end, rather than just the one seen on the bridge in southport, although i'm not an engineer so I wouldn't know.

This would free-up much needed road space underneath the bridge so that major improvements could be made to make the junction safer, more modern and give it the ability to handle large amounts of traffic with ease.
    This junction is only going to get busier over the coming years.
    Last edited by AK1; 05-23-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Blog Entries

SOME of Liverpool’s most pot-holed roads are finally going to be repaired, at a cost of £180,000.

But council officials today said bringing the historic streets around Sefton Park up to a fully modern standard would cost more than £4m.

The roads, including Mossley Hill Drive, Croxteth Drive and Aigburth Drive, have been allowed to run into disrepair because they are unadopted, which means the council is not responsible for their upkeep.

But officials today said to bring them up to adoptable standard, they would need new drains, lighting, road surfaces, kerbs and footpaths.

They estimate the work could cost at least £3m-£4m because the roads are in a conservation area.

But as part of the Look of the City programme, devised to spruce up Liverpool before Capital of Culture next year, £180,000 has been set aside to carry out “interim treatment”.

A council report says: “At this time, there are unfortunately no funding sources that would assist the city in contributing to bring the roads across Sefton Park, that are part-owned by the city, to an adoptable standard, but efforts will continue to made to secure such funding.”

Green Party councillor John Coyne who represents St Michael’s, described the council’s proposals as “a double-edged sword”.

He said: “It will make it a safer place to cycle and drive in the short term, but it will also make it a faster road surface and more dangerous.

“I would suggest that residents who live in Aigburth Drive get together with highways officers and find a way of using the money to narrow the road.

“If the road is narrower, then there is less of it to resurface, and it will bring speed down and reduce the flow of traffic, which is better.

“The issue is not just to throw money at it and deal with the surface of the carriageway. We need to change the way it is used.”

michellefiddler@liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

The problem with Aigburth Drive is that it is used as a rat run during rush hour and cars tear along it. It's a wide road and if you are trying to cross it with a young family to get into the park or you have mobility problems it can be quite unpleasant. Thinking about it, people drive too quickly along this road period. The potholes are the only thing slowing them down! Perhaps traffic 'calming' measures might be useful once they have been filled in?

"Chicane-like" traffic calming and double white lines, plus pedestrian crossing points are needed on Aigburth Drive.
    If the road is narrowed it will lead to "on pavement parking", another danger for pedestrians to negotiate.

Just my thoughts. I do not live in the area, but I visit it about once per week for a walk in the park.

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast