Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Southampton name removed from QE2

Blog Entries

If you read page one of this thread........

...............I worked for Cunard and sailed as A.B. and Quartermaster on many of its ships, also since retirement sailed world wide many times on their cruise ships, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2.

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    If the"British" brand, is what was important,why dont we own Rolls Royce,etc! It seems a contradiction that the brand is great,except when it's owned by us,so it's sold off,and re-invented,then, given back to us!? (does this make sense?)

I HATE that we do not own all the wonderful companies that were once ours. I was also very shocked that we don't own much of what I thought we did. We don't even own Weetabix anymore,

There is a lot of 'buying the name' Steve. When say, Tiffany is sold, the new owners buy the name too. It is not owned by the Louis Comfort Tiffany family now so you buy the name therefore buying all the good will and fame that goes with it.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    When we used to be coming into a mega storm and the captain wanted to go through it and not around he had to call for permission. We all hated that. Silly of us really as they do own it.

When I was Master or Captain, I never ever once asked the Office if I could alter course, That is the reason for having Masters on ships, they are the professionals who know their ships and how to handle them in any situation.
    How do the office people know what weather conditions are like??? Are they expert ship handlers??? Do they understand the effects of weather, also depending, is it from ahead, astern, on the beam.
    Are the Office Staff home in bed when the weather changes and the Captain calls saying "What do I do now" ??? Do they get up and look through the window of their apartment in New York and say "The weather is OK here whats it like in the South Atlantic??. No you cannot have permission to alter course."
    Cunard and every other Company I have ever worked for in 47 years of seafaring have never told their Captains to contact the office and ask permission before altering course. Captains are paid to make the decision as they see it. No one in an Office thousands of miles away have a clue what is going on.
    Why are you getting in a tizzy over this It is of no matter to me. I just remember that the officers were VERY mad when we were headed for a huge storm and the captain was wanting to go through it and had to argue with who they just refered to as 'the Americans'

Is the red ensign the red flag at the back of the ship? We were told that was flown only when the captain was ROYAL NAVY, if he was merchant navy it could not be flown.

We had to join the merchant navy before we got on the ship! I had a lifeboat I was in charge of at lifeboat drills, we had to do the fire course as well as a few more I cannot remember. When I left the ship I had to 'sign off' from the navy!!! I still have my certificates somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    I HATE that we do not own all the wonderful companies that were once ours. I was also very shocked that we don't own much of what I thought we did. We don't even own Weetabix anymore,

There is a lot of 'buying the name' Steve. When say, Tiffany is sold, the new owners buy the name too. It is not owned by the Louis Comfort Tiffany family now so you buy the name therefore buying all the good will and fame that goes with it.
    Weetabix, one of my favorite cereals, appears to be still British owned. See this:

"Weetabix of Canada Ltd. was incorporated in 1975 and is the subsidiary company of Weetabix Ltd., the leading British cereal manufacturer. The Weetabix? brand is the single largest selling ready-to-eat cereal brand in the United Kingdom where it has been manufactured since the 1930s."

About Us Wheetabix Canada at http://www.weetabix.ca/en/aboutus.php

"Company History:

Privately held, family-controlled (and some say ultra-secretive) Weetabix Limited is one of the United Kingdom's leading makers of branded and private-label cereals. The company also has strong manufacturing operations in the United States and Canada and exports products to a variety of countries, including much of Europe. While slugging it out for market share against such cereal behemoths as Kellogg's and Nestl?, Weetabix has managed to thrive by establishing clear leadership in a limited number of cereal segments. Weetabix's flagship product is, of course, its renowned Weetabix branded cereal, a pressed wheat biscuit designed to turn to mush in milk--making it a favorite food choice across generations. Weetabix has also been a pioneer of the muesli market, under its popular Alpen brand, originally launched in 1971. With its Ready Brek brand, Weetabix is the market leader in the instant hot cereal category as well. Other brands in the Weetabix portfolio include Weetos and Nature's Choice granola bars. In addition to its small branded range, Weetabix has built a strong private-label operation, through subsidiaries Ryecroft Foods in the United Kingdom and Northern Golden Foods in Canada, as well as at its U.S. production facility in Clinton, Massachusetts. Weetabix also operates its own packaging subsidiary, Vibixa Limited, supporting its own products as well as its private-label production. Weetabix is led by Richard George, a member of the family that has controlled Weetabix since the 1940s. Nonvoting shares of the private company are nonetheless listed on the tiny OFEX exchange, designed to provide liquidity for small companies."

From "Weetabix Limited" at http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

I hasten to add that as far as I know Richard George and his family are not relatives of mine, though there may be some distant connection.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    If you read page one of this thread........

...............I worked for Cunard and sailed as A.B. and Quartermaster on many of its ships, also since retirement sailed world wide many times on their cruise ships, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2.
    Yes, I can read but thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Weetabix, one of my favorite cereals, appears to be still British owned. See this:

"Weetabix of Canada Ltd. was incorporated in 1975 and is the subsidiary company of Weetabix Ltd., the leading British cereal manufacturer. The Weetabix? brand is the single largest selling ready-to-eat cereal brand in the United Kingdom where it has been manufactured since the 1930s."

About Us Wheetabix Canada at http://www.weetabix.ca/en/aboutus.php

"Company History:

Privately held, family-controlled (and some say ultra-secretive) Weetabix Limited is one of the United Kingdom's leading makers of branded and private-label cereals. The company also has strong manufacturing operations in the United States and Canada and exports products to a variety of countries, including much of Europe. While slugging it out for market share against such cereal behemoths as Kellogg's and Nestl?, Weetabix has managed to thrive by establishing clear leadership in a limited number of cereal segments. Weetabix's flagship product is, of course, its renowned Weetabix branded cereal, a pressed wheat biscuit designed to turn to mush in milk--making it a favorite food choice across generations. Weetabix has also been a pioneer of the muesli market, under its popular Alpen brand, originally launched in 1971. With its Ready Brek brand, Weetabix is the market leader in the instant hot cereal category as well. Other brands in the Weetabix portfolio include Weetos and Nature's Choice granola bars. In addition to its small branded range, Weetabix has built a strong private-label operation, through subsidiaries Ryecroft Foods in the United Kingdom and Northern Golden Foods in Canada, as well as at its U.S. production facility in Clinton, Massachusetts. Weetabix also operates its own packaging subsidiary, Vibixa Limited, supporting its own products as well as its private-label production. Weetabix is led by Richard George, a member of the family that has controlled Weetabix since the 1940s. Nonvoting shares of the private company are nonetheless listed on the tiny OFEX exchange, designed to provide liquidity for small companies."

From "Weetabix Limited" at http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

I hasten to add that as far as I know Richard George and his family are not relatives of mine, though there may be some distant connection.

Chris
    Wow, I think my time has come and gone on here. I do not care to argue every time I post.

Do you not want women on here. Yikes fellers. Just say so,

Wow, I think my time has come and gone on here. I do not care to argue every time I post.

Hey what?

I'm just trying to assure you that Wheetabix does still seems to have British ownership, which I agree is surprising.

Cheers

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Ronijayne, if you were on QE2 in 1988 then one of these fine men would have been Master.
    Each one was very experienced and I know them, having sailed with them, Not one would have to ask the office, they were Master in all that that title is

Masters of QE2
    Captain A. C. Bennell, R.D., R.N.R.
    10 July 1987
    Captain R. A. Woodall, R.D., R.N.R.
    1 November 1987
    Commodore J. Burton-Hall, R.D., Cdr. R.N.R.
    7 March 1990

Why are you getting in a tizzy over this It is of no matter to me. I just remember that the officers were VERY mad when we were headed for a huge storm and the captain was wanting to go through it and had to argue with who they just refered to as 'the Americans'

Is the red ensign the red flag at the back of the ship? We were told that was flown only when the captain was ROYAL NAVY, if he was merchant navy it could not be flown.

We had to join the merchant navy before we got on the ship! I had a lifeboat I was in charge of at lifeboat drills, we had to do the fire course as well as a few more I cannot remember. When I left the ship I had to 'sign off' from the navy!!! I still have my certificates somewhere.

In 1988 Cunard was still British owned by Trafalgar House in London. No Americans involved. Were you privy with the Master`s conversations with the "Americans" ? In the wheel house would only be the two Quartermasters, the two Officers of the watch and the Master.
    and how could "the Americans" know what the situation was thousands of miles away. Impossible.
    The British Red Ensign is flown aft on all British registered Merchant ships. When a ships Master is a member of the Royal Navy Reserve, RNR, as most Cunard Masters were, he is entitled to fly the Blue Ensign, not all of them did it, it was their preference.

When I left the ship I had to 'sign off' from the navy!!! I still have my certificates somewhere.

It sounds a strange "navy" you were in. Doesnt sound like the one I was in all my working life.
    Last edited by captain kong; 09-20-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Blog Entries

It's gettin' to you Roni. Reckon you need another break. Me for one wants you on here with your Hollywood lifestyle. I need a role model.

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    Captain Kong.. Priceless.. You said it so well.. and congrads on a life long profession you loved to do...

Your stories and contributions to this forum are excellant!
    I am noting this above statement, one more time.

I am also a woman, and I do not think this thread should reflect any gender. Its' about a mans' life long knowledge.

You can either appreciate it, or, if you need a question answered.. , then, do so without that feeling of who knows more...

Obviously, my choice would be a man (Captain) that sailed the seven seas and then some... I appreciate people with great knowledge and accomplishments in their chosen fields... You can learn alot from these folks..

I am too a Professional at what I do.. I understand that some words maybe taken derogatory to someone whose has reached that pinnacle of knowledge..

Ronijayne.. I just think they were trying to tell you their knowledge ..and don't take it as gender attitude..or personally.. Your contributions are also warrented ... ta

Well said, we need all the different opinions on here, it is what makes it so interesting. Ronijayne, we need you as much as Captain Kong so please don't take offence!

Blog Entries

Hey, Ronajaine, we love you, no one is getting at you, next time I am in Manhattan I will take you for dinner. I enjoy ladies on this site, I enjoy ladies anywhere. it would be a very boring site if there were none. It is good to have a difference of opinion, that is what a debate is all about and we can all learn from other peoples experiences. There are too many boring sites where people just agree or make a one line comment. Lets have some more constructive comments.
    As long as there are no personal insults lets talk about everything and enjoy it.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by captain kong; 09-21-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Of course, you are wanted,but remember,this is the net,where you(and myself) can misinterpret the "meaning" of the typed word,quite easily,so stay where you are!!(that's a command)

Laying the wooden deck during construction of the Liner QE2: (Note Capt Kong is ready with the Plumb Line)
    Reg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan10055.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	544.4 KB 
ID:	11235  
    Last edited by bangorreg; 09-23-2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: spelling era
    thaithyme

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123