Thread: Warning Signs

Default Warning Signs

Hi,

I have a photo of Kirkdale West signal box which shows a warning sign on one end. It reads:
    WARNING
    KEEP OFF
    ELECTRIC
    LIVE RAILS

The overall sign was white but the word "WARNING" was in white (I think - it's a B&W photo) in a dark red rectangle but my question is "what colour font was "KEEP OFF etc" in? Was it red or black on the white background?

Any help greatly appreciated.

David C

George

Since its a warning sign it would have been in red as most signs issuing a danger notice are.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCatton View Post
    Hi,

I have a photo of Kirkdale West signal box which shows a warning sign on one end. It reads:
    WARNING
    KEEP OFF
    ELECTRIC
    LIVE RAILS

The overall sign was white but the word "WARNING" was in white (I think - it's a B&W photo) in a dark red rectangle but my question is "what colour font was "KEEP OFF etc" in? Was it red or black on the white background?

David C
    Strange as it seems, I think the writing was black.

David, are you any relation to Bernie Catton who was a Driver at Kirkdale?

Hi,

I've been persuaded by a poster on another forum (who sent me a photo of one of these signs at Sandhills Station) where I posted the same query that the rectangle in which "Warning" appears was maroon and the rest of the script was in the same maroon. I was pretty certain that the rest of the script was black so maybe there were two sorts of sign? Anyway, Scalescenes <scalescenes.com> have now very kindly sent me a set of maroon signs for my model of Bankhall Shed and Kirkdale Station. (I have no connection with this company other than as a customer.)

Am I related to Bernie Catton? Probably. I come from a very convoluted family and have many half-cousins whom I've never met. I do recall being told that it was a Catton who drove the first service train through the loop under Liverpool so maybe that was Bernie? Does anyone know if he's still alive and how I might contact him?

Cheers,

David C

Hi,

WARNING
    KEEP OFF
    ELECTRIC
    LIVE RAILS

David C
    http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=51122

Hi,

I
    Am I related to Bernie Catton? Probably. I come from a very convoluted family and have many half-cousins whom I've never met. I do recall being told that it was a Catton who drove the first service train through the loop under Liverpool so maybe that was Bernie? Does anyone know if he's still alive and how I might contact him?
    Hi David, that was Bernie who drove the first train through the loop.
    I used to be a Driver at Kirkdale in the early 80's, Bernie instructed me during my Driving course. I'll make some enquiries to see if he's still around and get back to you.

Default Warning Signs

Many thanks - it would be great to make contact with Bernie.

David C