Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool Pubs: Bar Royal Etc

I used to go to the Harrington Bar every weekend, from 1985 up until around 1988 or thereabouts. You used to go downstairs, pay at a little hatch and then go into the bar itself. For a while, there was a lower section inside that sold chips, burgers etc, where there were also tables for you to sit at when you fancied a break from the dancing!

The music played there at the time used to be a lot of Simple Minds, The Cult, Divine, Dead or Alive, Billy Idol, Bronski Beat, Fine Young Cannibals, that sort of stuff. I used to drink Snakebites (ugh), and my friends and I used to dance in the same spot every night - by the large fan that was at the side of the dancefloor.

The same people were there every night too, so it became like a home from home where you just went to have a laugh with your friends. I remember two lads who dressed like Teddy Boys - both called Ste; one was very tall and the other was quite short, but they were immaculately dressed and loved dancing. As did Graham, another regular who loved Simple Minds and danced a lot like Jim Kerr. Bet his knees are knackered now, ha ha. One of our friends dressed to look like Billy Idol, too, with the bleached hair, leather glove and everything!

I loved the place, I have very fond memories of it - not least because it's the place where I met my first serious boyfriend - the father of my daughter!

I used go to the Black Cat on a Saturday for the Blue Mountain Boys in the early sixties. It was a club not a pub, above Samson & Barlows restaurant in London Rd, opposite the Odeon cinema.
    It was renamed the Peppermint Lounge but I didn't go there after the name change.

Pie Stall I've never heard of a pub by that name. There was the Pie Shop at the bottom of Fontenoy St and that has also been renamed after a period of closure. Taxi drivers used to have a knowledge quiz and one of their questions was: If you picked a fare up (before the flyover Churchill Way was built) at Mile End in Scottie and the fare wanted dropping at the front door of the Pie shop, what route would you take?
    Answer: The taxi would have to go through the tunnel (only one in those days) and turn around in Birkenhead and return to Liverpool, Such was the road layout and that was only way it could be done.

The Griffin in its heyday was run by Brian Toner, that was at the corner of Bankhall and Derby rd. Joe Rogers and Harry Chambers played there for years, it was the place to hear good music on a Sunday. They were extremely popular and attracted many other singers and musicians to sit in. Sadly Joe & Harry have left us within the last couple of years.

The Pyramid was one of the clubs run by Terry Phillips and associates. I think it was in Temple St.

missjo, I drank snakebites and frequented the Harrington bar around that time too.

Oddsocks, are you sure about that taxi route to the pie shop ha ha.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Oddsocks, are you sure about that taxi route to the pie shop ha ha.
    Yes Ged, it's true. Check it out with some of the older Cabbies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a research project I have that is part of a documentary currently being filmed in Liverpool!

I am looking to speak to anyone who can tell me about any of the following pubs and the people that may have run them or just any lively characters that were regulars there or anyone themsleves that drank in these places and have any stories or photos to share! If any of you know any of the below and can hep out it would be a big help!

Thanks in advance!

Bar Royal : Run by someone called Sadie (Woud love to know more about him)

Paco's

Cottages (Gory)

Jody's

Pie Stall

Pyramid

Macmillans

Griffin Pub

Archway

Gateway Pub

Fish and Chip Boat

Bears Paw & Harrington

Masquerade

Swan Pub

Magic Clock

Bus Routes

Mr Woo's

Stevie's

Old Royal

Black Cat

Bird Stork Hotel

L8

Empress

Curzon

Saunas

Reflections

The State

She
    I know who started the bar royal (and why) along with the history of all that complex, I noticed from your list that you have missed out an awful lot. That era was my bed for many years but I didn't get much sleep in it; what with the hard-cases, bag robbers, gangster types and norms, it was a whirlwind of people and a replenishment of my educational values. The city centre -at that time- became my university with it's dark streets and vast array of prancing/prowling personaities from the Blue Angel to the She and all between. Bugzee.

missjo, I drank snakebites and frequented the Harrington bar around that time too.
    Hi Ged, I only hope I wasn't sick on you! Terrible things, snakebites...

Nice when going down on a Saturday night. Tasted terrible coming back up on a Sunday morning though, and that's when its poisonous name came into its own

Blog Entries

Nice when going down on a Saturday night. Tasted terrible coming back up on a Sunday morning though, and that's when its poisonous name came into its own
    Oh, and the hours spent discussing why those flakes appeared in some but not in others.

A very refreshing mix as I recall...probably only remember the first two or three though.

Ugh,reminds me of drinking Pernod,the only(?) drink that gets you drunk twice!!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Ugh,reminds me of drinking Pernod,the only(?) drink that gets you drunk twice!!
    Reminds me of my one and only pun.
    A friend of mine, before drink driving laws, said he was so drunk leaving a party he could hardly reach the steering wheel.
    I retorted that he should have drunk Pernod 'cos
    "Absinthe makes the arms grow longer"
    Sad thing was he didn't get it!!!

He was probably too drunk to.

Ever come across any info' on the "mystery" pub' in Eldon st,yet,Ged?

No Steve, even the directories throw nothing up but do acknowledge it as a victuallers - but no name for it given.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Ever come across any info' on the "mystery" pub' in Eldon st,yet,Ged?
    There's a "Cottage Inn" listed in the 1938 Street Directory buts it's in Eldon Place No. 73

Quote Originally Posted by ellergreen View Post
    There's a "Cottage Inn" listed in the 1938 Street Directory buts it's in Eldon Place No. 73
    I'm not sure,but I think it had already gone,by then! It was on the corner of Eldon st. and Vauxhall rd. and it's just visible on the right of this pic'.

Photo courtesy of someone on Yo?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELDON ST4.jpg 
Views:	1127 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	20645  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast