Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool Pubs: Bar Royal Etc

Default Old Liverpool Pubs: Bar Royal Etc

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a research project I have that is part of a documentary currently being filmed in Liverpool!

I am looking to speak to anyone who can tell me about any of the following pubs and the people that may have run them or just any lively characters that were regulars there or anyone themsleves that drank in these places and have any stories or photos to share! If any of you know any of the below and can hep out it would be a big help!

Thanks in advance!

Bar Royal : Run by someone called Sadie (Woud love to know more about him)

Paco's

Cottages (Gory)

Jody's

Pie Stall

Pyramid

Macmillans

Griffin Pub

Archway

Gateway Pub

Fish and Chip Boat

Bears Paw & Harrington

Masquerade

Swan Pub

Magic Clock

Bus Routes

Mr Woo's

Stevie's

Old Royal

Black Cat

Bird Stork Hotel

L8

Empress

Curzon

Saunas

Reflections

The State

She

The Curzon was a afternoon stay back pub. it opened when the other pubs shut a 3 pm
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a research project I have that is part of a documentary currently being filmed in Liverpool!

I am looking to speak to anyone who can tell me about any of the following pubs and the people that may have run them or just any lively characters that were regulars there or anyone themsleves that drank in these places and have any stories or photos to share! If any of you know any of the below and can hep out it would be a big help!

Thanks in advance!

Bar Royal : Run by someone called Sadie (Woud love to know more about him)

Paco's

Cottages (Gory)

Jody's

Pie Stall

Pyramid

Macmillans

Griffin Pub

Archway

Gateway Pub

Fish and Chip Boat

Bears Paw & Harrington

Masquerade

Swan Pub

Magic Clock

Bus Routes

Mr Woo's

Stevie's

Old Royal

Black Cat

Bird Stork Hotel

L8

Empress

Curzon

Saunas

Reflections

The State

She
    Wasn't Paco's run by Bobby Burns? I remember having quite a few late nights there.
    Knew the Pyramid club, but don't remember a pub of that name.

A bit before my time,but the"Magic Clock",in Roe st.apparently,was frequented by some "Magic" people,as was "Jody's",at a later period!

Default harrington

i'm currently doing a bit of work in the bear's paw/harrington bar. hasn't been used since 1989, flooded with water and in a pretty bad state

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    A bit before my time,but the"Magic Clock",in Roe st.apparently,was frequented by some "Magic" people,as was "Jody's",at a later period!
    Yes... we were also warned in the 60's that it was a "strange, but very friiendly" bar. It was next to, and patronized by, the Royal Court Theater.
    I won't use the 60's terminology for a gay bar...

George

"The State" and the "She" were both clubs.

They're only ones I've been in,then when we got kicked out it was up to Pete's bar in the seel street area? till gone past 5 o'clock in the morning...two steps forward and one back...hic!

Quote Originally Posted by saintpaul 79 View Post
    i'm currently doing a bit of work in the bear's paw/harrington bar. hasn't been used since 1989, flooded with water and in a pretty bad state
    WOW!!

Don't suppose you can get any pics of the place before as is now... ?

I'd love to see it how it last was.

Has the place been bought now...?

it hasn't been sold, just maintenance by the leaseholder.
    i'll be able to get some pics, there's still a glitter ball down there and some very odd decor, along with an inch of mud. the curved bar is ready to collapse.
    where the club's false ceiling has come down you can see the original bear's paw ceiling, c. 1910? very rich. according to my 95 year old grandad was the best restaurant and cocktail bar in liverpool, pre war.

Macmillans was owned by Lenny McMillan, (who sadly died last year) and Stuart Davenport.

They also owned the Mardi Gras on Bold Street, O'Connors bar on Hardman Street and the building that houses Cream nightclub in Wolstenholme Square. Macmillans was a good laugh. It had great DJs on. I think it was open Wed - Sunday till about 2pm but frequently stayed open later.

Thursdays was quite good, it was a night called Disco ****ation which went on for a few years and was very popular.

The Bears Paw & Harrington Bar stayed open until about 1989. I worked there in the daytime when it was called the Harrington Bar. It was owned by Gordon Shearer, who also owned Paco's Bar.

Towards the end it's patrons - who tended to be 'rough' - twice attacked the place smashing it to bits and attempting to ransack the office in order to get to the safe and steal the money, and in the end Gordon let the bar go because he couldn't live with the stress. I think he sold it.

From what I can remember I was told that there was a life sized statue of The Queen sat on a throne behind some red velvet curtains or something - not too sure. Maybe it was a cabaret bar in the sixties or something.

Jody's was an alternative / punk type club in the early eighties and then a lot of the gay crowd began going there. It used to have live cabaret every Wednesday with acts like Paul O'Grady's Lily Savage performing for a hour or so.

It wasn't frequented too much towards the end. It's now a lap-dancing bar call Sugar.

My Mum used to frequent the She Club in the 60's, it was owned by a married footballer with an roving eye apparently :-)

Hi,

Do you have pictures of the Bears Paw before now? If so Iwould really like to speak with you...
    Haven't logged on in a while but we are in Post Production stages now and the film will be shown in August.

Please let me know

Much appreciated

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by saintpaul 79 View Post
    it hasn't been sold, just maintenance by the leaseholder.
    i'll be able to get some pics, there's still a glitter ball down there and some very odd decor, along with an inch of mud. the curved bar is ready to collapse.
    where the club's false ceiling has come down you can see the original bear's paw ceiling, c. 1910? very rich. according to my 95 year old grandad was the best restaurant and cocktail bar in liverpool, pre war.

Hi,

Do you have pictures of the Bears Paw before now? If so Iwould really like to speak with you...
    Haven't logged on in a while but we are in Post Production stages now and the film will be shown in August.

Please let me know

Much appreciated

Sam

Er...I KNOW I went to The She at sometime or other but after that..........Alcohol induced Altzeimers !
    Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris

Sadie's real name was Tony, Jodie's was owned by a guy called Tommy, Paco's by Gordon, who also owned Bars Paw and Old Masq, they were all old school.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast