Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Sefton Park Area

Blog Entries

Sefton Park is becoming a place to be proud of ,on my recent visit I was pleased to see the past being recaptured by the wonderful restoration work that is being carried out there. The Palm house is a prime example of the beauty that is being rescued from the near destruction that was wrought by years of decay. One cannot live in the past ,but memories can be strengthened by the sight of things that part of your childhood. The statue of Columbus outside the palm House was enigmatic when I was young , now that I am older and a little more knowledgable,it's true meaning is more apparent and those responsible for its salvation are to be commended. The Peter Pan statue,the Dolphin fountain ,Bandstand and all thise wonderful statues that fill this parkland ,are reminders of what this park meant to this city, which was second only to London ,within the British Empire, and a sister of New York in the transatlantic scheme of things.
    Oh Liverpool, Yo Liverpool ! Your songs have been sung the world o'er, your beauty,once lost ,is now born anew and you come once again into the nations consciousness as city of winners and not whiners,as a place to be enjoyed and rejoiced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009_0303Faces0010 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	8920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009_0303Faces0011 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	8921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009_0303Faces0008.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	8922  

Paid a visit to Sefton Park today after many months away.
    Was very supprised to see how far on they are and was very impressed.

Took these snaps while there :->>>>

By phredd

After a period of illness I feel I have missed a lot in the home city.
    Decided I must get out more.

HNY to all

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Default Old Sefton Park

I have just been looking at this thread and catching up on the last few months.

If you would like to enjoy the park as it was in days gone by, then take a trip to Botanic Gardens, Churchtown, Southport during the summer. All the activities you mentioned from the past are still happening there.
    Brass bands every Sunday during summer, boating lake, Birds galore! (feathered kind)
    Nice gardens, beautiful flowerbeds, tearooms, and even a small museum.

All Free! Well worth a trip for the family.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Cheers for the info Samp
    Brilliant pics all.
    Phredd, isn't that tree stump fantastic
    Well captured.

Default Sefton Park

Nice Pics Phredd! Glad you are over your illness, and a Happy New Year to you too! Cheers, and keep the photies coming!!

Blog Entries

REPAIR work has started on the historic bandstand as part of the multi-million pound refurbishment of Sefton Park. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    REPAIR work has started on the historic bandstand as part of the multi-million pound refurbishment of Sefton Park. Read
    There is a pic of the ongoing work on my post on the previous page (page 11).

Phredd

Blog Entries

Default How much is Sefton Park worth?

ONE of Liverpool?s favourite parks has been valued at ?108m by the Government?s architectural watchdog.

Cabe, the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment, put the value on Sefton Park in a report aimed at revealing the true worth of the nation?s parks.

Cabe said its valuation was based on the park?s physical assets, excluding the land.

The council lists the value of the park as ?1, but Cabe wants councils to list the ?true value? of parks to encourage more investment in maintenance.

Last night, it said its new valuation framework includes park use as an indicator of the wider value provided by a green space to communities, as well as plants, trees, paths, venues such as the Palm House and sporting facilities.

The new framework could be used by local authorities to negotiate higher section 106 planning payments from developers, Cabe said.

Its report states that the value of the land itself is irrelevant, as it depends on its planning status, and cannot or will never be sold, and the land itself does not need maintaining.

Last night, Liverpool?s environment leader, Cllr Berni Turner, said: ?The ?1 value is merely an accounting device and does not reflect how much we value Liverpool?s parks.

?We are investing more than ?5m to transform Sefton Park and the final results this summer will be stunning.

?We?re restoring memorials, planting new flowerbeds, improving footpaths, landscaping the park and installing a new playground. This is just part of our multi-million pound investment in the city?s green spaces. You cannot put a cash value on Sefton Park. It?s priceless.

?But the Cabe research is interesting and is a good way of allowing residents to understand how valuable their local park is and realise just how lucky we are to have such an asset on our doorsteps.? more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Another visit to Sefton Park

Another visit to Sefton Park yesterday :-

Not the best of pics I have to admit

Phredd

Hi guys, I'm trying to find out whether or not the lake is still empty. It looks it from the photos above , but I want to make sure (don't want to waste a journey). Anyone visited in the last few days?.

It was still empty last week.

Quote Originally Posted by JMLE View Post
    It was still empty last week.
    Cheers JMLE, odds on it's still empty, just want to make sure before I make the journey .

Fred, there looks to be a good bit of Barney Rubble in it too.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Suspected WW2 bomb found in Sefton Park lake

POLICE have cordoned off a 100m area of Sefton Park after the discovery of a suspected WW2 bomb in the recently drained lake.

Walkers in the park spotted a suspicious outline in the silt at around 6pm this evening and contacted police who have called in army explosives experts.

Insp Mike Jarman said: "We've found something in the park. We don't know what it is yet. We've called the Explosive Ordnance Department. The fact that it's in the middle of the park and in the lake means we have not had to evacuate anybody."

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...2534-23039597/

There must be a lot of unexploded ordnance around Merseyside dating from the air raids of the 1940s.

Remember the one that was found a couple of years back at the Twelve Quays terminal and had to be taken out to Liverpool Bay to be blown up.

John

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast