I have been researching my family history and have found out the following !.
My dear old Dad enlisted in the Merchant Navy during WW2 he served on The Empire Mc Callum (amongst others) a "reconverted baby flat top" and I have clippings of the rescue attempt by 14 (including my Dad) men, to save the crew of the Langleecrag as she lay stranded and windbattered on the reefs of Newfoundland, they set off in a lifeboat which drifted for 10 miles and was out of control due to the heavy breakers, they did not get to the other crew (who where later rescued by a Norweigian whaler "Olaf Olsen".
The news paper tells of the heroism of the lifeboat men, it was 21foot long and was attempting to sail in the most treacherous waters along the Newfoundland coast in order to recue fellow seaman .
I also have newspaper pictures of the men as they returned to land including my Dad .
I have also been given the service records of my Grandfather which go back to 1910 ish !, I never realised he had seen so much of the world !,
here is a list of the ships that I can make out
HMS Isis,HMS Bellerphon,Senator,Craftsman,Sculptor,SS Zent,Dictator,SS Gladiator,Student,Ulysses,Tactitian,ExplorerJerome , Bernard,.There are others but I can not make out the names.
He seems to have been discharges in about 1928
I hope these may bring back memories for some of you.