Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wirral Developments and Regeneration

FKoE

Sheesh it only seems like yesterday when they were working docks, and Lairds was still building ships... And Kingsway was being built at the end of our street.

Yeah I'll wait to see the ideas before passing comment on the 30 year plan.. but the Apartments seem a grand development, I just wish I could afford one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE View Post
    Yeah I'll wait to see the ideas before passing comment on the 30 year plan.. but the Apartments seem a grand development, I just wish I could afford one.
    It stinks around there, yuk.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

FKoE

hehehe, thats the Mersey perfume factory

Blog Entries

Default New Brighton, 'lungs of the Mersey'

As part of a series of features studying the UK's seaside towns, the spotlight falls on New Brighton in Merseyside.

Maps of New Brighton found on boards dotted around the seafront tell a sad story.

There's the former site of the pier, the former site of the Tower and the former site of the open-air swimming baths, once one of the largest in Europe.

Also long gone are the Tower Ballroom, the amusement park and the ferry terminal, where thousands used to disembark at this seaside town on the north-east corner of the Wirral peninsula, after coming across the Mersey from Liverpool.

The attractions may have gone but this is not a derelict town and there's a spring in the step of the hundreds who brave a blustery Wednesday to enjoy the wonderful views and the sea air.

The long promenade is busy with walkers, while families huddle into the dilapidated Grade II-listed shelters to eat their fish and chips.

An amusement arcade and mini-golf provide the staple seaside provisions while the old fort offers a reminder of the past.

Lifeguard Paddy Maloney said the beach had been busy this warm summer, although nothing like it was in the 1950s.

"It was a different world then, a complete eye-opener, absolutely vibrant. People used to pour off the ferries in absolute swarms. It was unbelievable.

"It was a holiday resort when I was a kid but things have changed in the country and in society as a whole.

"In the 60s everyone bought Ford Populars and Morris Minors and headed to Wales or the Lake District or to Benidorm. These places started taking a nosedive them."

Parr controversy

Mr Maloney is relieved that a £73m development, including a supermarket to be built on the marina lake, has been rejected by government planners who overruled the council.

He would like to see a plan more sympathetic to the town's natural assets, such as a marina, and developer Neptune is believed to be keen to spend the money on an alternative project.

In 1986 photographer Martin Parr provoked a storm with his book The Last Resort, which drew accusations that he contrived to depict New Brighton in an unforgiving light.

But 20 years later, although the shelters are neglected and vandalised, there is little evidence of social deprivation, just a few boarded-up shops near the station.

Australian Bob Williams, 51, has returned to the town for the first time since leaving it 32 years ago.

He said: "I'm really impressed with the place, how clean it is, the lack of graffiti and it's safe to be walking round. My parents emigrated because they didn't like the atmosphere.

"But I can see now it has a lot of potential and I don't think people realise what they have here. It's wonderful walking along here with no cars. We don't want to go home."

Fred Haygarth danced at the Tower Ballroom

Although many can remember the town's post-war heyday, some can even recall another golden era, between the wars.

Fred Haygarth, 81, from Hoylake, loves taking a walk on the promenade every Wednesday.

"When I was young there was a big tower and dancing in the big ballroom, which was as good as Blackpool, but I don't think commercially it was viable to keep it up," he said.

"People come here now to have a walk. There's no traffic, a wonderful view, the air is fresh. I'm glad it's clean and I like coming here but it's not making any money for the town."

Another resident described the town as the "lungs of the Mersey".

Aviation museum

One of the few attractions to survive the tough times is the fort. It was built in the 1800s to defend the Port of Liverpool, and the town grew up around it.

The houses on the seafront were modelled on Brighton in Sussex, hence the name.

People flock here every week Doug Darroch - Owner of Fort Perch Rock

The fort is now a museum exhibiting an impressive array of artefacts from planes which crashed in the war, and it is also a venue for opera, jazz and rock concerts.

Its owner is Doug Darroch, 45, who is adamant the town is thriving just as it is.

"People flock here every week, from Australia, America and Europe. New Brighton is never going to be a Southport or Blackpool but it can fit a role for people who don't want an expensive day out.

"It has fantastic views. People say 'We need an iconic structure' but perhaps we already have one - the river.

"People say 'It's not what it was in the 50s' and 'My mam put me on the ferry with my sandwiches and bottle of water.'

The fort was completed in 1829 and pre-dates the town

"It was an escape from the backstreets and terraced houses and that can still apply."

A Wirral council spokeswoman said unforeseen disasters had destroyed the ballroom and the baths, while other attractions suffered due to "natural changes in the marketplace". But £13m had been spent on sprucing up the seafront and shopfronts.

New Brighton is a town that's been knocked in the past but - maybe as a direct consequence - remains a great source of pride for its inhabitants.
    Even the young people, who are usually a very critical bunch, are enthusiastic.

Jenny Foulds, 17, who works in a dancewear shop on the main parade, offered a typical comment when she said: "It's nice to have somewhere quiet where you can go for a walk and just chill."

Population: 10,927
    Famous visitor: The Beatles once played the Tower Ballroom
    Interesting fact: The Tower was taller than Blackpool's

source....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Talking This Sounds Amazing.

Towers of power for Wirral docklands?
    By Justin Dunn

MAJESTIC: Canary Wharf tower. Ambitious plans to transform Wirral's docklands would mirror the early 1990s redevelopment of East London's once derelict riverside site
    A FOUR BILLION pound masterplan to transform Wirral's decaying docklands into a glittering Canary Wharf-style business park was unveiled to "astonished" councillors last week.

The brains behind Manchester's hugely successful Trafford Centre and the same city's upmarket Salford Quays development want to make the docks - separating Birkenhead and Wallasey - a business centre complete with skyscrapers, hotels, luxury homes and retail facilities.

The ambitious plan - laid out in a "very impressive" video presentation behind closed doors to selected councillors last week - even has scaled-down versions of some of the world's most iconic buildings.

They would include smaller imitations of both the Petrona Towers in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur, and of the world's only seven star hotel, Dubai's Burj Al Arab - acknowledged as the finest hotel on the planet.

Developer Peel Holdings, who also own Liverpool Airport, recently added the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company to its portfolio, making Peel the country's second biggest ports owner.

Reports in the national financial press have suggested that the company's main interest in buying up former dock sites throughout the country has been specifically to develop what it sees as the under-utilised property and space contained within the waterfront sites.

Last week's presentation was "incredibly impressive", said Seacombe Labour councillor John Salter.

"I've honestly never seen anything quite like it.

“A tremendous amount of work had gone into the presentation alone. It was like watching some kind of Hollywood movie."

"Obviously it was very exciting and ambitious but I think it's fair to say that we all walked out of the room afterwards feeling very positive about it.

"Peel Holdings have a track record that is second to none. Everyone concerned knows that a planning inquiry would be inevitable but I think this is a scheme that should be explored and encouraged."

The development would take place over a 30-year period, said Cllr Salter. "I probably won't be around to see it, sadly, but that's no reason not to support it.

"There will be a cruise liner terminal opening in Liverpool soon, which will see the return of some grand ships to the River Mersey.

"Look at all the work and redevelopment going on in Liverpool. Visitors will see a wonderful waterfront on one side, and a drab one on ours.

"The fact is, Wirral is starting to look a big stagnant in comparison. But if this is plan goes ahead, which on the face of it I would like to see, then the very opposite will be true."

Redevelopment of the docks began just three months ago when restoration of the former East Float flour mill began. Over £19m is being spent to turn them into luxury Albert Dock-style apartments.

Peel Holdings refused to comment when contacted by the Globe, but a spokeswoman said full details of their proposals would be released to the public on September 5.

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=2]There's the former site of the pier, the former site of the Tower and the former site of the open-air swimming baths, once one of the largest in Europe.

I'm sure I have a photie here showing the Pier .. give me 10 minutes to dig it out and scan it

FKoE

New Brighton pier ...

New Brighton pier ...
    Let me quess - FKoE and mum!

FKoE

Thats me elder brother with me mam there Howie

I was over in the Wirral today and the Wirral needs this development to happen badly,I hope they grasp this opportunity.

Blog Entries

JILTED developers have come up with a new plan to redevelop New Brighton.

Neptune is submitting a separate planning application to revamp the Floral Pavilion theatre and clinch £9m of public funding which was feared lost when the original plans were turned down by the government.

The application is seen as a £17m first phase of what would still be a total facelift for the resort.

The Town Square development is to include a £9m refurbishment of the theatre, adding a conference centre, a block of apartments and retail space.

Details of the scheme are still being drawn up, ahead of meetings by external funding bodies including the NWDA and Mersey Waterfront Regional Park.

Steve Parry, managing director of Neptune Developments, said: "We remain fully committed to the comprehensive regeneration of New Brighton as the submission of this planning application demonstrates.

"The Floral Pavilion theatre is one of the resort's greatest assets. Closure due to poor condition would be a major blow."

Liverpool-based Neptune had been chosen by Wirral council as its "preferred developer" for the scheme which included a new marine lakeand model boating lake, flats, out-door lido, newrestaurant/wine bar quarter, the renovation of the theatre, leisure and recreation areas and anew super-store.

The most contentious element of the plan was to fill in the marine lake to build a supermarket and apartment block.

According to planning experts, Neptune could re-submit an application.

Leslie Parker-Davies, chairman of the New Brighton Heritage Action Group set up to oppose the scheme, said: "This comes as a pleasant surprise. Things are moving in the right direction, and it seems Neptune have been listening."

source.....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

New Brighton pier ...
    I've got some of New Brighton - I'll root them out.

FKoE

Talking

Fantabbydosie Lindy

Nice one

my cousin. New Brighton 1960's

that's me in the background.

FKoE

thats a good photie of the pier Lindy, nice one ..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast