Thread: River Explorer Cruise

Default River Explorer Cruise

Just back from a fab weekend in Liverpool. Had a mate with me who was on his first visit - he's a confirmed southerner with all the usual preconceptions of Liverpool - and he appeared to really enjoy the weekend.

Just one thing that I thought let me down was the Ferry - we sailed at 11:00 on Sunday and sailed quite a way down river and the commentary went into great detail about New Brighton Baths, how long it took to fill the pool etc, all very interesting in a book but hardly riveting for the commentary, then when we left Woodside, Cammell Laird got the briefest mention, Tranmere was ignored completely and we shot across the river at speed.

Does anyone know if it was a tidal reason for concentrating on the New Brighton end of the river, or is this the usual route now?

Sean.
    p.s. Sunday Lunch in the new dining room in the Maritime Museum was very good indeed - recommended.
    Sean
    ex of Henley Street, then Vine House, Seaforth.
    Now in Rotherhithe London - been here for 18 years but still not convinced - must go home at some point!

Blog Entries

Hi Sean, me and my grandson get the ferry quite a lot. The commentaries dogloss over a tad. Consider yourself lucky you never had to put up with "Ferry across the Mersey" Glad you enjoyed your stay. What did you think of the new developments? Did your friend change his mind about the North?

I think he did enjoy it, but it will take a while for him to admit it

Its my first visit since the Pier Head was fully opened, and I'm impressed. I still can't quite see the need to have a canal going across it, and would have thought narrowboat berths in Princes Dock would have done, but I have to admit British Waterways have done a really good, quality, job.

I like the ferry terminal too - its modern, bold, and fits the scale of the area.

One thing that needs looking at urgently though on The Strand side of the three graces is the state of the pavements, and elsewhere in the city come to think of it. It had been raining when we arrived on Friday and the amount of puddles and loose/broken paving stones was a joke. We all had wet feet walking from James St to the Crowne Plaza.

Overall though, all the work has come together nicely, what really shows is the quality of the design and materials used around Liverpool One.

And lucky for me its only 3 days until my next visit - although just passing though on my way to the Isle of Man for the weekend
    Sean
    ex of Henley Street, then Vine House, Seaforth.
    Now in Rotherhithe London - been here for 18 years but still not convinced - must go home at some point!

Blog Entries

Sean, is that the area they're still working on?