Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visit to Liverpool Town Hall

WWII experiences of Liverpool and Gdansk explored in new exhibition
    Aug 29 2009

A TWO day exhibition commemorating the 70th anniversary of the start of World War Two opens at Liverpool Town Hall next week.

The German invasion of Poland in September 1939 led Britain to go to war two days later, and the unique display focuses on the experience of Liverpool and the Polish city of Gdansk.

The exhibition, which will be open on Tuesday and Wednesday, includes photographs of wartime damage of both cities, as well as period books, games and other household items.

On Tuesday only, there will also be a rare display of the uniforms and equipment of the Luftwaffe crewmen who bombed Liverpool during the Blitz.

The exhibition will be accompanied by an audio-visual presentation showing Liverpool?s experiences during the war, and music from the period.

Mayor of Liverpool Councillor Mike Storey said: ?This exhibition is a strong and powerful reminder of the impact that World War Two had not just on Britain, but throughout Europe.

?Liverpool still bears the scars of the Blitz as it caused widespread damage, and many residents still have vivid memories of the impact it had on life in our city.

?We must never forget the many thousands of men, women and children who sacrificed their lives for our freedom, and this exhibition is an important and timely reminder of their contribution.

?Many of Liverpool?s residents have Polish ancestors, so I know there will be a great deal of interest from local people in the impact on Gdansk.?

Continues >>

a few pictures of the council chambers.. forgot to take pics while walking around, took a few of statues etc. i would love to know how lenka gets her pics to stand out?

i sat in the 'bosses' chair and someone must have been nosey because the drawer was open, so took a pic of the bit of paper that was in there, would love to know what they were voting on, lmfao.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3159.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	11061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3158.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	11062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3157.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	11063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3163.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	11064  
    Don't dream it ... be it !

Brilliant snaps! I used to work in Fishlocks over the road from the Town Hall and we provided floral arrangements for many weddings hosted their. Loved every minute of it! Haven't been in it since, so gutted I missed an open day!

Will have to keep my eyes peeled for another event like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Here's another one of the dome for you.

That's superb Howie. I know how difficult it can be getting shots like this. I'm still trying to get a decent interior shot of the dome in the Port of Liverpool Building. Thanks also for the info on the Town Hall exhibition.

Johnny

Default More exhibition info...

70th anniversary of start of Second World War marked by exhibition
    By Laura Davis on Aug 30, 09 02:20 PM

A TWO day exhibition commemorating the 70th anniversary of the start of World War Two opens at Liverpool Town Hall for two days only this week.

It was the German invasion of Poland on September 1, 1939, which led Britain to go to war two days later, and the unique display focuses on the experience of Liverpool and the Polish city of Gdansk.

The exhibition, which is open on Tuesday September 1 and Wednesday September 2, includes photographs of wartime damage of both cities, as well as period books, games and other household items.
    On Tuesday only, there will also be a rare display of the uniforms and equipment of the Luftwaffe crewmen who bombed Liverpool during the blitz.

The exhibition will be accompanied by an audio-visual presentation showing Liverpool's experiences during the war, and music from the period.

The exhibition is collaboration between the city council, Northern Forties - a World War Two re-enactment group, and Merseyside Polonia, which works to develop relationships between the Polish community and local residents.

Gosia McKane from Merseyside Polonia - who was born in Gdansk - has written a moving poem about the impact of the war on Liverpool, which she will read at the launch.

She says: "I was brought up with images and stories of destruction of my hometown, and looking through the photographs of the air raids damage in Liverpool made me realise how much this city was devastated as well.

"Among the landscape of ruins was the Liver Building standing defiantly - a symbol that the people here never give up.

"I hope that visitors who come to see the exhibition will recognise how similar the experiences of the people in Liverpool and in Gdansk were after the war.

"I very much appreciate that Liverpool is embracing its new communities and we can commemorate together the 70th Anniversary of World War Two, and pay our respects."

The photographs included in the exhibition have been supplied by Gdansk History Museum and Liverpool Record Office.

There will also be recent photographs of modern day Gdansk and Liverpool which were taken by young people from the Yellow House project who visited Poland in July.

The launch will also include a poignant personal story from Councillor Laurence Sidorczuk, whose father was Polish and joined the British Army during World War Two.

The exhibition will be open to the public on Tuesday September 1 from 2pm-5pm and Wednesday September 2 from 10am-4pm. Admission is free of charge.

Source - 70th anniversary of start of Second World War marked by exhibition - Liverpool Daily Post - Pool of Life

Quote Originally Posted by Malc-Downing View Post
    a few pictures of the council chambers.. i would love to know how lenka gets her pics to stand out?
    Hi Malc-Downing, it is not very difficult, but for a long time it's explained. All available information contained in this forum:
    http://tutorialblog.org/hdr-tutorials-roundup/

Personally, I use this program here:
    http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html
    or photoshop.

oooo thank you very much, will check that site out soon
    Don't dream it ... be it !

Default WWII Exhibition

Marking 70 years since WWII ? Liverpool's wartime links with Poland explored
    Sep 3 2009
    by Vicky Anderson, Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL marked the 70th anniversary of the start of World War II this week, with a two-day exhibition at the Town Hall exploring links between the city and Poland.

It was the German invasion of Poland on September 1, 1939, which led Britain to go to war two days later, and the unique display focused on the experiences of Liverpool and the Polish city of Gdansk.

It was officially opened on Tuesday by Lord Mayor Mike Storey and the Consul General of Poland, Piotr Nowotniak.

The exhibition, which was on display Tuesday and yesterday, included photographs of wartime damage of both cities, as well as period books, games and other household items.

Cllr Storey said: ?The exhibition is a strong and powerful reminder of the impact that World War II had not just on Britain, but throughout Europe.

?Liverpool still bears the scars of the Blitz as it caused widespread damage, and many residents still have vivid memories of the impact it had on life in our city. We must never forget the many thousands of men, women and children who sacrificed their lives for our freedom, and this exhibition is an important and timely reminder of their contribution.

?Many of Liverpool?s residents have Polish ancestors, so I know there will be a great deal of interest from local people in the impact on Gdansk.?

Continues >>

Thumbs up

I went, seen the pics and the Video, very good I thought

Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

ta Howie.. Yes, people who sacraficed their lives for ours..A very important tribute..

I have read a few books taking place during the Blitz.. it was amazing what Liverpool people endured and stayed together, made the best out of the worse... Very nice exhibition it looks. Bravo to the photo journalists and people that care..

Profoundly deaf fashion designer brings catwalk show to Liverpool town hall
    Sep 5 2009

A PROFOUNDLY deaf fashion designer is putting on a catwalk show at Liverpool town hall tomorrow.

Christopher King recently graduated from the London College of Fashion and has created designs for Next.

He now hopes to launch a new clothing label in his home city.

Christopher, a former Broadgreen comprehensive pupil, said: ?My best subject in school was art because I found I had a natural appetite for it and it fitted well with my interest in clothing design and fashion.

?Now, after nine years of studying and a number of industrial and commercial work placements, I felt ready to launch my own clothing label and I?m delighted the Lord Mayor offered the use of the town hall.

?My new collection is inspired by the 1950s rock and roll style, and I hope to have them ready for spring 2010.?

The show starts at 12pm.

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Marking 70 years since WWII ? Liverpool's wartime links with Poland explored
    Sep 3 2009
    by Vicky Anderson, Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL marked the 70th anniversary of the start of World War II this week, with a two-day exhibition at the Town Hall exploring links between the city and Poland.

It was the German invasion of Poland on September 1, 1939, which led Britain to go to war two days later, and the unique display focused on the experiences of Liverpool and the Polish city of Gdansk.

It was officially opened on Tuesday by Lord Mayor Mike Storey and the Consul General of Poland, Piotr Nowotniak.

The exhibition, which was on display Tuesday and yesterday, included photographs of wartime damage of both cities, as well as period books, games and other household items.

Cllr Storey said: ?The exhibition is a strong and powerful reminder of the impact that World War II had not just on Britain, but throughout Europe.

?Liverpool still bears the scars of the Blitz as it caused widespread damage, and many residents still have vivid memories of the impact it had on life in our city. We must never forget the many thousands of men, women and children who sacrificed their lives for our freedom, and this exhibition is an important and timely reminder of their contribution.

Continues >>
    But,the Poles were also conducting thier version of the holocaust,and (some)were happy to help thier Nazi oppressors to exterminate these nasty people!!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    But,the Poles were also conducting thier version of the holocaust,and (some)were happy to help thier Nazi oppressors to exterminate these nasty people!!
    I'm sure there were a few sympathisers in this country too

Share your memories of Liverpool town hall
    Sep 10 2009
    by Staff Reporter, Liverpool Echo

MEMORIES of Liverpool?s town hall are needed for a new project.

Residents are invited to the Dale Street building today as part of a heritage day to share their experiences.

They will then form part of the Pride In Liverpool project.

Lord Mayor Mike Storey said: ?The town hall is a fabulous building which I think has a real place in the affections of people.?

Residents can come to the town hall until 4pm today to share their memories.

Alternatively, write to: Lord Mayor?s office, Liverpool Town Hall, High Street, L2 3SW.

Source: Liverpool Echo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12