Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Woolton District

Went up to St Peter's Woolton this morning to annoy the locals from the tower.

Took a couple of pictures from the tower:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woolton.JPG 
Views:	423 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	13403

Name:	woolton2.JPG 
Views:	369 
Size:	317.4 KB 
ID:	13404

Blog Entries

thanks cad

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Great pictures Cad. Snowing in Liverpool!

Not much has changed!

Name:	Woolton Village.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	13410

George

Looks like lego land that one Cad's

If i was loaded i would definately want to live in one of them sandstone houses off Allerton or Church Road. Small but alright for 1 or 2 people.

Got a stronger bike too recently from the Giant shop in town so can cycle up there more as cheap bikes can't handle roads.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
    I know this is a shot in dark but way back when Florence Nightingale was a lass..well 1976 actually but it feels that long ago I started my nurse training and we were billeted in a place in Woolton but I cant for the life of me remember what is was called.....or where about it was.....it was a big place and I remember the rooms we had only had partitions as walls that did not reach the ceiling...we were there for the first three months of training doing our PTS (preliminary training school) stuff......I know there was a pub close by but again the memory fails..any one any ideas where I mean.
    Hi Maggie May the place your thinking of was Woolton manor going up a very spooky dark lane up to the quarters ,and the pub opposite is the derby arms i used to pick my girlfriend up from there in 71 i wouln't go up the drive with my roof down, Johnny

A few pics of Menlove ave, L25
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 Menlove ave..JPG 
Views:	326 
Size:	538.0 KB 
ID:	14401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01a Menlove ave..JPG 
Views:	349 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	14402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01b Menlove ave..JPG 
Views:	350 
Size:	810.5 KB 
ID:	14403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01c Menlove ave..JPG 
Views:	354 
Size:	653.6 KB 
ID:	14404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01e Menlove ave..JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	914.9 KB 
ID:	14405  

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    A few pics of Menlove ave, L25
    Menlove Avenue is a "new" road. Vale Road was the main road in and out Woolton and was formerly called "Folly Vale". The road had a bend in it and carried on towards town right at the location where John Lennons house is. On the site of his house was a row of cottages where my GG Grandfatherlived, right on that spot!

I wasn't sure if Menlove ave came under Woolton or Allerton but I looked up the address of 'Mendips' and it's listed as Woolton L25.

According to what I've read in books, John Lennon had relatives living in a place called 'The Cottage' described as being on Vale rd around the corner from Mendips, and was attached to a farmhouse.

Also, described was 'wasteland' at the end of the block from Mendips where John Lennon played as a kid - - would that be where the flats are now ? is the waste ground where the heights were built ?

Have you ever heard of Blackgates Lane ? It's not listed in the A to Z or any maps I've looked at.
    Reading Julia Baird's book, she says they would often walk over to Menlove ave to visit John and his aunt at Mendips - they would often walk from the Springwood area (where they lived), down a country path at the side of Allerton Tower, which would bring them out on Menlove and on the opposite side of the road to the house. She called this country path Blackgates Lane. I've not heard of it before and can't find it on a map. I'm assuming it might be this public footpath on the attachments ?? does this footpath run up the side of the golf links or the back of Allerton Tower ?? I'm not too familiar with the area, but I know there is a dirt path right opposite New Heys school in the area where she lived (.. and where she went to school) which I'm assuming is this same path which takes you over to Menlove ?

To the right of the pic - there's a sign for public footpath ( sorry it's a bit tiny in the distance ! it's by the tree)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01a Menlove ave..JPG 
Views:	347 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	14413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01b Menlove ave..JPG 
Views:	341 
Size:	810.5 KB 
ID:	14414  

Blog Entries

Nice one Lindy.

Yes there are paths across the golf course that bring you out in that area. Paul and John used to walk that way from Fortlin Road.

Lennons Uncle George (Mimi's Husband) worked at the family dairy which was in Allerton Road, just a few doors up from the pub as you turn off Menlove. The Dairy building is still there today.

Woolton Library has some old maps and you may be able to see the names of these paths on those Linda.

Your right about the pathway Lindy, it ran parallel to Woolton Rd, from Mather Ave to Menlove Ave, the golf course was on the left and the 'rear' of Allerton Towers was on the right, it was known to us as 'the Backgates' (not Blackgates)but I don't think this was it's name , more than likely got it from the Caretakers cottage of Allerton Priory that was situated on the corner of the pathway and Allerton Rd. The path should show on early maps as a continuation of Heath Rd., from Mather Ave, crossing Allerton Rd and ending at Menlove Ave., The New Hays school was actually built on Fulton's Farm, which was also in that area. My wife lived in Ravenna Rd off Heath Rd, and after we married we lived in Hurstlyn Rd which is at the bottom of Forthlin Rd. so it's well know area for me. Cheers

Thanks for info Underworld and NZ.

Great to see that reading the book has inspired you Lindy.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast