Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack the Ripper

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    The likely suspect sitings point to a man who looked like a sailor or at least a working class man, rather than someone like Conan Doyle.
    Hi Chris,

Sherlock Holmes was also a master of disguise. Saying that Conan Doyle was a bit chubby to be a sailor. Maybe a working man though?

Do you think there'll be another Patricia Cornwell high profile attempt to crack the case? Also, I wonder what advances in the future may help with the investigation?

Cheers,

Daz
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Sherlock Holmes was also a master of disguise. Saying that Conan Doyle was a bit chubby to be a sailor. Maybe a working man though?
    Daz,you're forgetting the first murder was 1888 Mary Anne Nicoles,ACDoyle would have been 29 and fittish at the time.

Hi Dazza

It's really the coldest of cold cases at this point. Endlessly perplexing and fascinating but threatens to always elude being solved. I am sure new people will always come along with new solutions. However, what we Ripperologists always say is that short of a signed confession, it will never be solved. And even with a signed confession there will be people who doubt it. The Maybrick Diary is a case in point. The Diary of course brings its own problems and I thought from the very beginning when it came to light in 1993 it was too good to be true, to link two such famous Victorian murder cases, the Maybrick Case and the Ripper.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

It does seem Ironic that these murders ceased in 1888 though Chris ie when Maybrick died 3 months into 1889.

Blog Entries

Thanks Chris - one thing we can all agree on. It will continue to fascinate and perplex future generations as it has done with us. The facts are that it did actually happen. It may be an unsolvable crime [unless new evidence comes to light, and even then...] Maybe only in fiction will we get some satisfaction?

George...there may be a Conan Doyle confession diary out there somewhere...keep digging...I'll help.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

I want an ordanence map of London for roundaout the time of the RM's,yer see I have a theory that the streets where these murders took place are more or less the same street names in Liverpool with some variation in the name

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Sorry make that liverpool map

Not sure about your Liverpool - London streets theory, George. Of course a number of cities have similarly named streets. Baltimore has a Castle Street, a Fleet Street, and a Thames Street.

As for the murders ending in 1888, at the time the public and the newspapers thought they continued and they counted murders in July and September 1889 and in April 1891 among the series. Personally I think the most grievous and similar murders did begin and end in 1888 as the traditional view has it.

C
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Not sure about your Liverpool - London streets theory, George. Of course a number of cities have similarly named streets. Baltimore has a Castle Street, a Fleet Street, and a Thames Street.
    Of course they do,but the difference is did/do they have a suspect who frequented the very same streets in Liverpool and the same streets names of those where the murders inLondon was committed?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Of course they do,but the difference is did/do they have a suspect who frequented the very same streets in Liverpool and the same streets names of those where the murders inLondon was committed?
    Well Dr Tumblety was in Liverpool, London, and Baltimore.

Whoops, we've cracked the case at last!
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Jack The Ripper - The Definitive Story: Series 1 - Episode 1

Did anyone see the first episode on this week? Some interesting reconstructions of the murder sites.

[First broadcast CH5 at 20:00 11 Jan 2011]

Saw this advertised, but then noticed it was Channel 5, so didn't watch it -
    asssumed our own Ripperologists would be more reliable...
    But maybe I'm revealing unwarranted bias here?

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    And he believed in fairies at the bottom of the garden
    Well, I got that, even if no-one else did! You're referring to the Cottingley Fairies, aren't you, Ged? - Fake photos that Victorian England took seriously, mainly because Conan Doyle vouched for their authenticity.

Blog Entries

Jack The Ripper: yes, I know what you mean. It's hard not to be anticlimactical about 'new' JTR documentaries being aired (or is it digitally transmitted these days?) And I'm not sure whether they reveal anything new about the case? Here, they give the murder scenes the CGI treatment, hoping that something will be revealed in a BBC styled Crimewatch reconstruction kind of a way.

Perhaps Chris may have a different take on it all?

Authur Conan Doyle was, if you can say this politely, away with the fairies? But, I guess, so were many others. Furthermore, he had a keen interest in the paranormal and spiritualism.

Hi Gang

The two-part documentary "Jack the Ripper: The Definitive Story" has a lot of good people involved with it so is a cut above the average commercially made Ripper documentary. A Ripper program actually made by the experts, rather than a TV production company interviewing "experts" and then making sausage of what they say.

The documentary was produced and directed by Jeff Leahy and written by Paul Begg and John Bennett. It is the first documentary ever written and produced by Ripperologists.

A thread at JtR Forums has more information on the making of the documentary. Contact me if you want to know more... or if want to obtain a URL in order to view the show.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Thank you Chris

Blog Entries

Thanks Chris. I did recognise Donald Rumbelow from a JTR walking tour I did some years back. And I also welcomed the CGI reconstruction of the murder sites - based on Charles Booth's poverty maps and other contemporaneous material. I'll look forward to the second episode next week.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast