Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack the Ripper

Don't tell me, he went into a frenzied trance brought on by 'Sam'

If you're looking for the other name, give Tom Slemen a call.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I thought he also named Pedachenko (sp?).

DaisyChains

Hi all
    I was watching a video on the case of the James Maybrick diary earlier and they were appealing for a book by Dr Thomas Dutton...

I just wondered what the link to the Ripper are?

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    Hi all
    I was watching a video on the case of the James Maybrick diary earlier and they were appealing for a book by Dr Thomas Dutton...

I just wondered what the link to the Ripper are?
    Hello DaisyChains

Dr. Thomas Dutton was a real person who had some interest in the Ripper case. He seems to have made notes or collected information about the case, so if his notes or diary can be found they might be important. However, the chief person to allege the existence of such a diary by Dr. Dutton was writer Donald McCormick (The Identity of Jack the Ripper, Jarrolds, 1959) whose writings have been challenged because he appears to have made up a lot of what he wrote about. So whether Dr. Dutton's diary ever in fact existed remains a matter of speculation.

The latest allegation, by the way, is that the Ripper might have been a Jewish pimp named Joseph Silver with worldwide connections to Europe, England, the United States, and South Africa. The claim by University of Pretoria Professor Charles van Onselen, in the book The Fox & the Flies – the World of Joseph Silver, Racketeer and Psychopath, is being met with skepticism by the Ripper community.

Best regards

Chris George
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hello DaisyChains

Dr. Thomas Dutton was a real person who had some interest in the Ripper case. He seems to have made notes or collected information about the case, so if his notes or diary can be found they might be important. However, the chief person to allege the existence of such a diary by Dr. Dutton was writer Donald McCormick (The Identity of Jack the Ripper, Jarrolds, 1959) whose writings have been challenged because he appears to have made up a lot of what he wrote about. So whether Dr. Dutton's diary ever in fact existed remains a matter of speculation.

The latest allegation, by the way, is that the Ripper might have been a Jewish pimp named Joseph Silver with worldwide connections to Europe, England, the United States, and South Africa. The claim by University of Pretoria Professor Charles van Onselen, in the book The Fox & the Flies – the World of Joseph Silver, Racketeer and Psychopath, is being met with skepticism by the Ripper community.

Best regards

Chris George
    This is all very interesting Chris...thanks!

DaisyChains

I managed to find a copy of The Lodger: The Arrest and Escape of Jack the Ripper by Stewart Evans yesterday

has anyone read it?

I managed to find a copy of The Lodger: The Arrest and Escape of Jack the Ripper by Stewart Evans yesterday

has anyone read it?
    Hello DaisyChains

I have been for over a decade in communication with Stewart P. Evans, co-author of The Lodger: The Arrest and Escape of Jack the Ripper, which was republished in the U.S. as Jack the Ripper: First American Serial Killer., although have not had the fortune to meet him in person. In the book, Stewart and his co-author, Paul Gainey, put forward a good case for Irish-American quack doctor Dr Francis Tumblety as having been Jack the Ripper.

Certainly Tumblety was in London at the time of the Ripper crimes. He was arrested in early November for homosexual offences with several men (such activity being illegal at the time). He was supposedly given bail which might have enabled him to murder Mary Jane Kelly and then free the country. A number of observers feel that Tumblety was too flamboyant a figure and, as a homosexual, unlikely to have been the lust-murderer of women that Jack was.

Tumblety's candidacy remains interesting but not proven. It is not clear that Tumblety was the reported Batty Street lodger with blood-stained cuffs as Gainey and Evans allege.

All my best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

DaisyChains

Hello DaisyChains

I have been for over a decade in communication with Stewart P. Evans, co-author of The Lodger: The Arrest and Escape of Jack the Ripper, which was republished in the U.S. as Jack the Ripper: First American Serial Killer., although have not had the fortune to meet him in person. In the book, Stewart and his co-author, Paul Gainey, put forward a good case for Irish-American quack doctor Dr Francis Tumblety as having been Jack the Ripper.

Certainly Tumblety was in London at the time of the Ripper crimes. He was arrested in early November for homosexual offences with several men (such activity being illegal at the time). He was supposedly given bail which might have enabled him to murder Mary Jane Kelly and then free the country. A number of observers feel that Tumblety was too flamboyant a figure and, as a homosexual, unlikely to have been the lust-murderer of women that Jack was.

Tumblety's candidacy remains interesting but not proven. It is not clear that Tumblety was the reported Batty Street lodger with blood-stained cuffs as Gainey and Evans allege.

All my best

Chris
    Thanks Chris
    I haven't read the book yet. It's interesting that the authors think he was the lodger in question...do we know a positive identity on the Batty St lodger?

Thanks Chris
    I haven't read the book yet. It's interesting that the authors think he was the lodger in question...do we know a positive identity on the Batty St lodger?
    No. It's speculaton on the part of the authors that the lodger was Tumblety.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Hello DaisyChains

All my best

Chris
    I don't think Jack liked women or lusted after them in a conventional way. Interesting term 'lust-murderer'.

I've just been listening to an interview with Richard Jones on radio Merseyside.

Not sure if it's already posted here but there's a link to his web-site :

http://www.london-walks.co.uk/54/jac...reasure-.shtml

has anyone here been on the London tour?
    Last edited by lindylou; 06-29-2007 at 11:40 AM.

PhilipG

I don't know much about the Ripper Case (well, to be honest, nothing really), but twisted murderers are not confined to the heterosexual community.
    It's conceivable that a homosexual who hated women could have done the murders.
    I hasten to add that most Gays like women.

Chris an old friend of mine from Essex was researching the Ripper case is name is Ian Griggs, I havent heard from him in a while, Do you know him or of him?Thanx
    History One Person's Perception

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I don't know much about the Ripper Case (well, to be honest, nothing really), but twisted murderers are not confined to the heterosexual community.
    It's conceivable that a homosexual who hated women could have done the murders.
    I hasten to add that most Gays like women.
    Hi Philip

I suppose anything is possible but as you say, a trait among many gays is that they do like women and get on well with them. Dr. Tumblety, the American quack doctor who had an affair with writer Henry Hall Caine in Liverpool in the 1870's, is said to have been been a woman hater by some accounts and according to a 1913 letter by former Special Branch Chief Inspector John George Littlechild held to be a "likely suspect" in the murders.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by Scanner View Post
    Chris an old friend of mine from Essex was researching the Ripper case is name is Ian Griggs, I havent heard from him in a while, Do you know him or of him?Thanx
    Hi Scanner

Many thanks for telling me about him. The name did not strike a bell with me at first but I now I see that it was Mr. Griggs who took the photographs of the graves of the Whitechapel murder victims on the Casebook: Jack the Ripper site that I frequent.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast