Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack the Ripper

Maria Reiche

Mr. Jona,
    I learned of Spring Heeled Jack many years ago when I was studying cryptozoology. In my own active field of that pseudo-science, I never believed in a paranormal resolution but in the end, I had to give in....
    Mr. George,
    Jack the Ripper is almost always relegated to the realm of the phantasmagorical. The Victorian era was fairly fantastic historically speaking. Even the establishment was going Egyptian and Far Eastern....
    You can always get Christina Wilson's or her descendant's DNA for purposes of confirmation if that's your druthers....And here's the Everton MJK in the 1861 Census. Maybe someone can tell me what street that is. I know it's off Scotland Rd. which does run into Everton Valley....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maryjane2.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	582  

Maria Reiche

It's Bostock St.
    The Everton MJK lived at 5 Bostock St. in 1861. It's off of Scotland Rd. She was about 6 years old....

Only a jump from Everton Valley....

Hello all

Ripperologist is looking for new subscribers, and I am willing to send a sample copy to anyone who is interested. The journal after publishing for a decade as a print magazine has switched solely to electronic publishing. Once a month we email a full color copy of the issue to subscribers. Rip 74 came out on Christmas Eve and I would like to send a copy to anyone who would like one. It is a large PDF file of 89 pages of text and pictures so you have to have a mailbox large enough to receive. Most of our issues are about this size. Anyone interested, feel free to PM your email address to me. Enquiries about this offer or general enquiries on the case of the Whitechapel murders also entertained.

For more information on our current and past issues go to:

http://www.jtrforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Default Maybrick Diary Revelations?

Hi all

An Australian named Steve Powell has appeared on the "Casebook: Jack the Ripper" message boards posting in a thread he has entitled "On The Trail Of The Forgers" alleging that the Maybrick Diary that surfaced in Liverpool in 1992 and that was subsequently published in facsimile and transcript form in 1993 by Hyperion in a book entitled, The Diary of Jack the Ripper by Shirley Harrison, was a hoax cooked up in Australia. Powell had appeared on the same "Casebook" message boards back in 2000, when he had told part of the story. Now he has reappeared with further details of and information about the scheme.

As many of you may know, the Maybrick Diary was brought forward by Mike Barrett, formerly a scrap metal dealer and taken in 1992 to London literary agent Doreen Montgomery. The story was that Barrett had received the Diary from Tony Devereux, a former compositor at the Echo, a friend he knew from drinking with him at the Saddle Inn in Anfield. Devereux subsequently died before he could give a full explanation of where the Diary had come from. More recently, Mike Barrett's wife Anne, who now goes under her maiden name of Anne Graham, said the Diary was in her family for years and that she gave it to the out-of-work Mike Barrett to apparently give him the impetus to write (he was a free-lance journalist).

Mr Powell alleges that while Anne Graham was in Australia around 1970, where she trained and worked as a nurse, she was involved in the forging of the Diary with a transplanted Englishman named Steve Park, born in Lancaster, England, in 1952, who is now a permanent resident of Australia and who lived in Cronulla, Sydney at the time that the Diary forgery was begun.

Chris George
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

MissInformed

interesting stuff Chris!
    Fascinates me...
    Wasnt one of the Ripper letters (a fake one) written in Prince William St in Liverpool?

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    interesting stuff Chris!
    Fascinates me...
    Wasnt one of the Ripper letters (a fake one) written in Prince William St in Liverpool?
    Hi MissInformed

Yes indeed you are correct, there were a number of "Ripper" letters sent from Liverpool and one of them was addressed from Prince William Street in Liverpool. By the way, the book by Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner, Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell, is excellent and I highly recommend it. If you are interested in the letters... and there were hundreds of them (probably hoaxes)... their book is an excellent survey of the letters received as well as the different suspects who might have written them, etc.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Thumbs up Ripperologist - More Free Issues

Hi all

Even better than my earlier offer to email a free, sample issue of Ripperologist to anyone who is interested, I am pleased to say that my colleague, Ripper author and East End expert Adam Wood, the technical genius behind the Rip, has redesigned our website and is offering three recent issues for you to download, free, gratis, and with the blessings of the staff of Ripperologist. Judge our magazine for yourself. I am sure some of you may wish to subscribe. Just go to http://www.ripperologist.info to peruse sample articles or download an issue or two.

Ripperologist is a monthly magazine sent by email PDF file. Our publication is a journal with footnoted articles examining all aspects of the Ripper case plus news and reviews of books, movies, and websites that have a bearing on the Whitechapel murders, other true crime, and East End history.

Best regards

Chris George
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi MissInformed

Yes indeed you are correct, there were a number of "Ripper" letters sent from Liverpool and one of them was addressed from Prince William Street in Liverpool. By the way, the book by Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner, Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell, is excellent and I highly recommend it. If you are interested in the letters... and there were hundreds of them (probably hoaxes)... their book is an excellent survey of the letters received as well as the different suspects who might have written them, etc.

Chris
    hiya chris
    I have this book, it is indeed fantastic. The pictures are great, and the information is fascinating.
    I had a school friend who lived in Prince William St, and would visit her every day after school. It is amazing, that a letter could have been sent from that tiny little street!

Hoax letters can indeed be sent from anywhere and in fact i'm writing one now in the broom cupboard. How do you spell Ransom/ransome?

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Hoax letters can indeed be sent from anywhere and in fact i'm writing one now in the broom cupboard. How do you spell Ransom/ransome?
    Ha ha, good one, Ged.

There is the question about a number of these letters of whether they were actually written from where the writer claimed, so I would not put my money on that letter actually having been written from William Henry Street. The writers make all sorts of claims and boasts, often I think to mislead the authorities.

As for the spelling of the word "ransom" I used to know a guy named Bert Ransom.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Bert Ransom.

'How much' did you know him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Bert Ransom.

'How much' did you know him?
    Hi Ged

I didn't know him in the biblical sense. I didn't owe him either.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Ha ha, good one, Ged.

There is the question about a number of these letters of whether they were actually written from where the writer claimed, so I would not put my money on that letter actually having been written from William Henry Street. The writers make all sorts of claims and boasts, often I think to mislead the authorities.

Chris
    Prince William Street!

I noticed that too but I knew Missi would correct ya, being a stickler for important detail

Hi MissInformed

Many thanks for correcting me, MissInformed. My mistake. I am a bit dyslexic. . .

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast