Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Williamson Tunnels

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways
    they went to cast iron to speed up the job because Williamson's men were too slow?
    that bit
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    one of the stories of why he built the tunnels was that he thought the end of the world was near so the tunnels would provide a habitat for people to live underground or something along those lines

Yeah yeah!! Louis, He beleived the apocolypse was upon us, But he provided much needed jobs to the poorest quarters in this city while it had some of the poorest boroughs in the devoloped world, and the highest infant mortality rate in the entire world .

FKoE

Nice pics. Everyone is trying to make out these tunnels are something wonderful. They are not. They are as about as useful as the pyramids (tombs). Interesting yes. I may even visit myself.

Williamson was a warped philanthropist. Building tunnels was just utterly pointless. That is not negative, it is just how it is.

I saw on the web pics of men who walked, illegaly, the Wapping and Waterloo tunnels. Great. Rail tunnels that served the docks and did something very useful, and may be back in commission again.

Its a homegrown history, and a massive tourist attraction.

And the Waterloo tunnel ?....... illegally walked ?....... where was it illegal, was it due to H&S issues perchance?

And was'nt the tunnel once considered in regards as a new through-fare into the city centre...

And who is going to re-open this tunnel?, British Rail ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE
    And the Waterloo tunnel ?....... illegally walked ?....... where was it illegal, was it due to H&S issues perchance?
    It's private property

And was'nt the tunnel once considered in regards as a new through-fare into the city centre...
    It was

And who is going to re-open this tunnel?, British Rail ?
    [/QUOTE]

The Wapping Tunnel emerges opposite Queens Dock from Edge Hill. It crosses the tunnel from Garston to Central Station at Gt Georges St/Duke St - only feet between them

There was proposals to join the two so trains can head east to Edge Hill and West to Queens Dock, and dig out a station at the University.

There was also a proposal that trains would emerge from the tunnel and rise on an elevated bridge over the Dock Road and into Kings Dock.

Another was trains emerging from the tunnel and travel on a new Overhead along the same route and join the northern line further up around the Waterloo Tunnel entrance. An over head tarion gantry would spoil views, so I don't like this one.

The Waterloo Tunnel was proposed to take trains on the Northern line to Edge Hill and beyond. Trains emerging could go north or south and a station there for Central Docks. Also a station could be cut into the tunnel at any point along its length. One was proposed near to Everton and have EFCs stadium on the park. The park is a desolate open space – an after thought.

Any ideas?

FKoE

Any Idea's ?

Yeah, that took you the last half hour too google that.....

My suggestion is we should'nt have trashed Edge Lane, when there was a perfect route into the city-centre already laying under our feet.

Blog Entries

exactly what the fella said in the tunnels.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    He must have been a scouser

It saddens me to think someone could dismiss what has been achieved here in such a casual & cavalier way.Firstly as far as i'm aware we don't know what his reasons were for building these tunnels.But it begs the question why would people go to all this trouble & hard work for no good reason at all.This could become a really big tourist magnet in years to come & who knows they may well be put to even better use one day.
    I for one would feel safe down there.I've got more faith in his work than of his modern contemporaries.
    I sincerely hope this project & it's dedicated team get the recognition they deserve.
    Finally i love how everything was displayed & would like to send my thanks to everyone who posted the photos & videos from this unique day out.
    Last edited by Terry; 07-10-2006 at 11:06 PM. Reason: deleted a couple of words

FKoE

Thumbs up

Terry!!!, I knew you a was a good lad

Blog Entries

Any Idea's ?

Yeah, that took you the last half hour too google that.....
    You made that up. Intimidated by knowledge I see.

My suggestion is we should'nt have trashed Edge Lane, when there was a perfect route into the city-centre already laying under our feet.
    Edge Lane Station?
    Last edited by Waterways; 07-11-2006 at 12:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    It saddens me to think someone could dismiss what has been achieved here in such a casual & cavalier way.Firstly as far as i'm aware we don't know what his reasons were for building these tunnels.But it begs the question why would people go to all this trouble & hard work for no good reason at all.
    There was no reason at all. No one in nearly 200 years has figured out what the hell they were for. To keep people occupied was the only reason that has emerged.

This could become a really big tourist magnet in years to come & who knows they may well be put to even better use one day.
    You may be right. As are the equally useless as the pyramids. But there is no mystique at how the tunnels were built.

I for one would feel safe down there.I've got more faith in his work than of his modern contemporaries.
    I sincerely hope this project & it's dedicated team get the recognition they deserve.
    Finally i love how everything was displayed & would like to send my thanks to everyone who posted the photos & videos from this unique day out.
    Same here.
    Last edited by Waterways; 07-11-2006 at 12:47 AM.

FKoE

You made that up. Intimidated by knowledge I see.

Edge Lane Station?

Government says yes to Edge Lane gateway

CONTROVERSIAL plans for a new gateway to Liverpool were given the green light last night by Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott.

Nearly 500 homes and 24 businesses will be demolished due to huge expansion plans for Edge Lane.

Blog Entries

government-says-yes-to-edge-lane-gateway-
    I can't see how that can use the Williamson tunnels.

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Kev

Blog Entries
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast