Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The State of Our World

Default The State of Our World

Hi all

A sad story and a statement on how values have fallen, whether in the United States or in Britain, a story from the Washington Post on Thursday:

"Ex-Boxer, 76, Dies After Fighting Off Attackers‎"

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Chris, a similar thing happened near here in Heswall. These scumbags can certainly pick their mark. I'll lay odds they wouldn't have done that when he was boxing. I remember something about an ex Para in Kirkdale, I think. If I remember correctly he was beaten with a brick and his medals stolen. It most have been 10 years ago. Never heard any more about it. Awfully sad.

Let's hope, they get turned in!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi all

A sad story and a statement on how values have fallen, whether in the United States or in Britain, a story from the Washington Post on Thursday:

"Ex-Boxer, 76, Dies After Fighting Off Attackers‎"

Chris
    Very sad Chris but it's a sign of the times!

This may sound a bit clich? but it has been my belief for many years that the increase in crime and moral decay is due to drug taking and the lack of respect for each other in the home. Children should be seen but not heard is a bit antiquated but more control of the young is a definite necessity; the amount of time children spend watching TV and surfing the internet has to be regulated, believing that if they?re on the computer you know where they are is a definite no, no, times have changed and being online is just a dangerous as playing amongst the traffic.

During the Second World War when most fathers were away in the forces and mothers were taking on jobs the men used to do, many kids got out of control, so the authorities stepped in. There was a School Board that monitored school attendance etc. If any kids came to the notice of the authority there would be a home visit by a member of the board and a warning; if the child?s behavior didn?t improve they would have to attend The Juvenile?s Court where many would be sentenced to an Approved School for correctional training. I know all about that because I received a couple of sentences, the first one two weeks in a Remand Home and the second one was three and a half years in an Approved School, I never got into strife again.

In the fifties there was National Service, the salvation for many a misguided youth, everyone was called up when they turned eighteen unless they were in an occupation that gave them exemption, e.g. working in the mines or in the Merchant Navy. National Service was a great leveler and you would have to remain in an exempt occupation until you turned twenty seven to avoid being called-up.
    There was more control of young people fifty years ago, no drugs and television was relatively new, so young minds were not corrupted by the violence and sex prevalent in present day TV programming but importantly the young still respected their elders and women still respected themselves.

If anyone believes drug addiction can?t be stopped they should ask Lee Kuan Yew, the former president of Singapore; when that country got independence from Malaya in ?58 the place was full of opium addicts, Mr. Lee cleaned up the addicts and rid his country of drugs and violence, the country is still clean today.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

That is disgusting

Fine words Phill

Default Come-uppance!

Anyone seen this doing the rounds? Bonehead picks on wrong guy...he martial arts expert! (I'll sleep better,after watching that)

(sorry link is the"Scum")

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...net-video.html

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

but importantly the young still respected their elders and women still respected themselves

How true

Blog Entries

Sorry Phill, drugs are here to stay. We can't even stop them in prison. The drugs war is well and truly lost.

As for conscription, the Army don't want them. We need highly motivated guys and girls in the Army.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Sorry Phill, drugs are here to stay. We can't even stop them in prison. The drugs war is well and truly lost.

As for conscription, the Army don't want them. We need highly motivated guys and girls in the Army.
    How come there's no drug problem in Singapore?
    I think if the decision makers started executing those who deal in drugs the problem would soon go away; however, that would be too much for the do-gooders to handle, maybe they favour the suffering and death that comes with the drug culture?????

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    How come there's no drug problem in Singapore?
    I think if the decision makers started executing those who deal in drugs the problem would soon go away; however, that would be too much for the do-gooders to handle, maybe they favour the suffering and death that comes with the drug culture?????
    Drugs are very much still available in Singapore, they have gone underground, but believe me it still goes on.

Nice to execute the drug dealers, but sadly, not the answer.

You're right Pablo...Drugs are here to stay. I heard a stat a few years ago claiming that less than 1% of smuggled drugs are found...How they know this stat I couldn't tell you but I think it is probably true...
    It is Accomplished

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    You're right Pablo...Drugs are here to stay. I heard a stat a few years ago claiming that less than 1% of smuggled drugs are found...How they know this stat I couldn't tell you but I think it is probably true...
    Wouldn't surprise me Mark. The market is huge and still growing. Spending millions throughout the World trying to stop this lucrative trade needs reasessing to something that works.

Drugs are very much still available in Singapore, they have gone underground, but believe me it still goes on.

Nice to execute the drug dealers, but sadly, not the answer.
    Hardly a drug scene, I sailed out of there for years.
    The following is an extract from the student website, ?Generation?, the full article can be seen by following this hyper-link: http://www.subboard.com/generation/a...1913434667.asp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Hardly a drug scene, I sailed out of there for years.
    The following is an extract from the student website, ?Generation?, the full article can be seen by following this hyper-link: http://www.subboard.com/generation/a...1913434667.asp
    Phill, I passed through there on many occasions too. There is a thriving drug scene. They are more careful and a lot more ruthless, but it still goes on.

I disagree Pablo, I spent my 5 days R&R there when picking up ships or delivering them back and in the
    80?s/90?s I was Ch/Officer on the Singaporean vessel
    Selco 2.
    On a number of occasions I had my wife join me, from Australia, whilst I was on R&R and I can honestly say I never heard of drug traffickers other than when an execution was imminent and regularly I visited the country over a twenty year period
    I don?t know where you get your information but you I can guarantee that you would be hard pressed finding drugs in Singapore, I?m not saying they are not available but it would be a total idiot who went looking for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast