Proposal Number:
    06F/1421

Jon Woodward (planning officer)
    Planning Department
    Liverpool City Council
    Municiple Buildings
    Dale Street
    L69 2DH

I advise all to make an objection by letter or email ASAP to the filling in of West Waterloo Dock

Email for objection:
    jon.woodward@liverpool.gov.uk

Some points of objection. I'm sure you can think of more

1. West Waterloo dock is historic nearly 200 years old, dating from 1834.
    2. The historic dock is a part of the rich heritage of Liverpool
    3. The dock forms a water environment for the flats between West Waterloo Dock and East Waterloo Dock. The residents bought those flats because of the water environment the locale offered. This will be obliterated.
    4. Filling in of the dock further “obliterates the City On The Water”, which the city was promised the redundant docks would be, transforming the city to world renowned Amsterdam or Hamburg.
    5. Dock being filled in as a convenient dump for waste material for the canal developer.
    6. Filling in the dock degrades the water based environment of the area for future developments.
    Last edited by Waterways; 07-06-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Is it valid to make an objection when not resident in the City of Liverpool? Are such submissions considered, or deemed invalid?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bazzacat
    Is it valid to make an objection when not resident in the City of Liverpool? Are such submissions considered, or deemed invalid?
    Anyone can object no matter where they live. Many people are away for a few years for job purposes ect.

Blog Entries

I do believe u could get a result here. However, thats the dilemma we face, will the link be completed at all?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    I do believe u could get a result here. However, thats the dilemma we face, will the link be completed at all?
    A result by retaining the dock? Yes if enough people email. The canal link is not important and many just don't like it.

The developers are trying it on and a naive city desparate for something to be done may just say yes to them using the historic dock as dump for waste materials.

I would rather the scheme is scrapped if they insist the dock is filled in.
    Last edited by Waterways; 07-06-2006 at 01:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Default SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUCCESS (of a sort)

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that the planning application for West Waterloo Dock has been withdrawn by the applicant. I will re-notify residents if any future application is submitted.

Jonathan Woodward
    Development Control Division
    Regeneration Portfolio
    Municipal Buildings
    Dale Street
    Liverpool
    L2 2DH

The dock is not being filled in.

Blog Entries

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE
    What are you laughing and cheering for Kev,its not for OUR or YOUR benefit........... its for his .
    Nope. For our benefit. Even yours. You may want all the docks filled in and slum tenaments put on them, others don't.

FKoE

You Watershipdown are more concerned for your investment, and SKYSCRAPERS, me...I'm concerned for community and heritage........... thats how we won 2008 ......REMEMBER ..

Funny how you appear like the wicked witch of the south, when you thought I'd gone eh? LAD!

FKoE

Listen Watership.....don't spout here, someone will pick you up on it, don't waffle, you'll be discovered, don't play the hurt wabbit,cause you won't be respected..

Kev, I yub you..email me.. Gang cyouse laters ...

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE
    Listen Watership.....don't spout here, someone will pick you up on it, don't waffle, you'll be discovered, don't play the hurt wabbit,cause you won't be respected..

Kev, I yub you..email me.. Gang cyouse laters ...
    Please get professional help.

Blog Entries

FAMILIES are set to win their battle to stop an historic Liverpool dock being filled with rubble.

City planners today recommended the controversial plan for West Waterloo dock, opposed by dozens of residents, should be turned down by councillors.

They said it would jeopardise the waterfront’s world heritage site status if the 172-year-old dock was wiped from the map.

Residents were today preparing to celebrate saving the dock, which is just yards from the nearest apartment buildings.

But rejection of the plan will leave a flagship Capital of Culture project – the new link between the Leeds-Liverpool canal and Albert dock – in doubt.

A slight re-routing of the canal route was part of the British Waterways scheme earmarked for refusal by Liverpool council next week.

It is unclear if British Waterways will press ahead with its £17m proposal, which would let barges sail through West Waterloo dock to the Pier Head.

CONTINUES....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Isn't West Waterloo half-filled in already?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Isn't West Waterloo half-filled in already?
    No. Look at the pic on the web site in my sig. Look at the menu to get around. Trafalgar Dock was the continuation up to Salisbury Dock and the Victoria tower. Trafalgar is filled in, however it can easily be excavated.
    Last edited by Waterways; 10-04-2006 at 01:59 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    FAMILIES are set to win their battle to stop an historic Liverpool dock being filled with rubble.

City planners today recommended the controversial plan for West Waterloo dock, opposed by dozens of residents, should be turned down by councillors.

They said it would jeopardise the waterfront’s world heritage site status if the 172-year-old dock was wiped from the map.

Residents were today preparing to celebrate saving the dock, which is just yards from the nearest apartment buildings.

But rejection of the plan will leave a flagship Capital of Culture project – the new link between the Leeds-Liverpool canal and Albert dock – in doubt.
    Who cares about a bunch of bearded real ale drinkers in narrowboats from an inland town. It was clear Peel pulling the strings of MDHC and British Waterways was underhanded in putting in an 11th hour revision to fill in West Waterloo. This is also againt the UNESCO World Hertitage agreement, which is quite clear on this issue.

Liverpool is a deep water ports and British Waterways and and Peel have made parts of Central Docks a laughing stock - a glorified inland canal. The Waterloo Docks are historic and are heavy in the history of populating America - the largest migration in history.

The in-filled docks of Clarence, Victoria and Trafalgar are not a part of the World Heritage Site - in the immediate buffer zone which does have restrictions and development must be within the spirit of the Heritage Zone. A small part of Trafalgar Dock still exists, however it is more a small access basin to the Clarence Graving Docks and in reality exists only in name. Most of Trafalgar Dock has been filled in, but not built on - it is easy to excavate this dock and reinstate the water space.

Trafalgar Dock, when it was a dock with water, was the continuation of West Waterloo Dock, right up to Salisbury Dock at the Victoria Tower. Excavating the vast majority of this dock and bringing it into the World Heritage Zone is logical and an obvious move - Malcolm Kennedy, a local councillor, is pressing for this. A developer may want to retain some part of the in-filled dock on the river wall side for substantial buildings on the river front - any buildings here would have a water aspect on the docks and river side, which is most appealing.

If the Trafalgar Dock was excavated deep water ships still could have berthed in Salisbury Dock and all the docks to Princes Dock. However the developers have vastly reduced the depths of these docks, for any technical reasons which are beyond me. I can see no case for reducing the depths of the docks to canal boat depths - except to gain money as a construction in-fill site, which is clear what they were used for. The docks are renedered near useless because of developer greed.

The depth of the docks should have been protected, as after all Liverpool was, and still is, a deep water port, not a canalway. Access for deep water ships should have been maintained. Visiting ships could have moored at Central Docks as they do at Canning, Salthouse and Albert Docks. Central docks has been reduced to virtually a shallow canalway for inland narrowboats. A far cry from the deep sea ships which used the docks.

Maintaining the docks as deep water should be pursued. Ideally all the docks should be reinstated to deep water docks.

The land on the Dock Rd side of Central Docks can be put to greater use in any proposals - the Dock Rd is more a massive barrier and in parts can actually be got rid of to merge the land with the water spaces of the docks.

Below: The sad scene of in-filling at Princes Half-Tide Dock (the entrance to both Waterloo Docks) , which has killed the UNESCO protected unique and essential marine life. Pictures by Dave Wood
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast