Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: City Centre Living

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE
    You can't compare Quiggens an outlet for unemployed Merseyside artisans, to Apple or Microsoft ...
    I can and did. It's just enterprise on a different scale and a different sector. The same people, if they had been IT nerds, might have created software businesses. Not sure where this is going......but I believe in quitting before I am two steps behind so I will go and have my tea and come back a bit later

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpolitan
    But there is huge investment in education now, and not just school age, but European money has funded countless vocational education and training courses in the city. A lot of the brightest go and don't come back, and you only have to go into any office in the south of England (in fact anywhere really) and you will meet university educated Liverpool people. There is always a little gang of scousers. Other cities manage to hold onto more of their brightest and best, but in Liverpool - while many remain - very many cannot. And with them, go the jobs and opportunities those people sometimes go on to create.

The problem is not supply, as you suggest, but demand - not enough real businesses with good jobs to offer. I agree it's important to keep investing more in education and training, but that isn't enough - it's also important to attract the real businesses and the real jobs.

And how will the city do that? At the moment, a lot of them don't come to Liverpool, and a lot of the people who create businesses move to Liverpool. I'm genuinely interested in where you think the quality good jobs will come from.

Hehehe, yeah we have, put some half-ar$ed investment in some new education facilities........ Great, smashing, wheres the opportunities for the majority of school leavers in city centre shops ?

We need apprenticeships, not call centres, we need industries like the old Plessey to return, not a new Tesco superstore.

FKoE

I can and did. It's just enterprise on a different scale and a different sector. The same people, if they had been IT nerds, might have created software businesses. Not sure where this is going......but I believe in quitting before I am two steps behind so I will go and have my tea and come back a bit later

Yeah you did........ Its still a pile of sh1te though..

Multi billion dollar corporations compared to a Liverpool sub-culture outlet, housed in a rundown building.. Great comparison.. got any more ?

Blog Entries

Rule number 1 again
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Supermarkets in deprived areas have provided an avenue into employment for members of the communities........
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

So, where do you think the jobs will come from?
    That is a bloody good question and I don't think any of us have the answer. Guess we'll just have to settle for trying to get some better housing!

FKoE

What makes me laugh, is Liverpolitan is promoting private enterprise and small business as the cure all for the ills.

Yet we had all that, we did all that, and we lost all that.

Because of Thatchers policies the kids resorted to selling drugs, to piracy... and Liverpolitan is saying give them a job stacking shelves that will solve that problem. Build apartments that local residents will never afford, that'll solve the decline ... sheesh!! Nothing is being done here for Liverpool and its culture.

Welcome to Plazzy town, just don't leave the city centre.

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    Supermarkets in deprived areas have provided an avenue into employment for members of the communities........
    Great, it also provided cheap food for residents on benefits.

Both Liverpolitan & FKoE have valid points. I can agree with points on both sides.

FKoE

Rule number 1 again
    Yeah soz Kev... I gets narky sometimes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE
    Great, it also provided cheap food for residents on benefits.
    every little helps......
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

FKoE

every little helps......
    Look at it this way,for every new Supermarket,how many local shops close ?

Blog Entries

In my experience, the supermarkets that opened in these communities never had a large amount of these little shops to swallow up anyway.

The Morissons in Speke will provide hundreds of jobs for Speke residents. The current parade of vandalised shops is aweful at the mo......
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

By investing in areas, re-furbishing some of the magnificent Victorian houses of Bootle to the amazing Georgian properties in Toxteth, this will give those living in deprived areas belief and hope.

These are places with genuine scousers who live in these areas and have done for generations, by improving areas such as the examples I've noted will inspire communities to gain qaulifications, create they're own businesses, and it will make the whole city better.

You can't say "there isn't enough people in Liverpool" when it has the 5th biggest population in the UK.

It just needs re-generation. Manchester has done well, in particular Sheffield, historically a working class city of metal factories, now has a high average wage (The Hallam area has more people on £60,000 pa than any area of size than any other northern town).

Liverpool has one of the highest employment rates in the country, it is making strides, but I feel it would be better to invest in people for the City's future as opposed to investing in rubbish new buildings in the city center.

FKoE

In my experience, the supermarkets that opened in these communities never had a large amount of these little shops to swallow up anyway.

The Morissons in Speke will provide hundreds of jobs for Speke residents. The current parade of vandalised shops is aweful at the mo......
    Speke I would say is a special case... rather than the norm.

I see it this way, once we had parades of shops with a grocers a butchers a off licence a news agents etc etc... now we 24hr garages and mini marts, and cctv

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast