Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: City Centre Living

Blog Entries

We should strive to breakdown barriers to employment for these poorer poeple in our community.

We go to Gym Tots in Park Rd Sports Centre 2wice a week. The place is chocker full of mums and dads with young kids, cool. Great the city is buzzing, however, me and my wife are usually the only scousers in there.

Wre are the scousers/ liverpudlians? hmm....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpolitan
    Erm, I am giving some ideas about how to create jobs and eliminate poverty. I don't appreciate personal abuse or being misrepresented like that.

Give over mate, I'm geeing you up..

Anyway, your post above.. Liverpool was built on exploitation of the poor..........

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE
    Give over mate, I'm geeing you up..

Anyway, your post above.. Liverpool was built on exploitation of the poor..........
    And.................where will the jobs come from? If you have a better idea, happy to hear it

Blog Entries

Oi, keep it friendly peeps, Forum rule numero uno.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Make the city a magnet for enterprising people.
    You mean for like those enterprising people in Quiggins who started up businesses like 3 Beat Records etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    We should strive to breakdown barriers to employment for these poorer poeple in our community.

We go to Gym Tots in Park Rd Sports Centre 2wice a week. The place is chocker full of mums and dads with young kids, cool. Great the city is buzzing, however, me and my wife are usually the only scousers in there.

Wre are the scousers/ liverpudlians? hmm....
    That is great news Kev, as it can only mean people are wanting to move back to the city. No-one owns it. Now all we need are more of them, and more of them who want to set up businesses and create jobs.

FKoE

And.................where will the jobs come from? If you have a better idea, happy to hear it
    Let me see, we got rid of every industry the city had, we initiated a diaspora of its citizens, we avoided government investment....... and now to save us all, we get the southern middle classes to come up here to buy cheap apartments, and for those citizens that have lived through the rot, we offer them jobs in shops.......... ?

Smashing idea.

Let me see, we got rid of every industry the city had, we initiated a diaspora of its citizens, we avoided government investment....... and now to save us all, we get the southern middle classes to come up here to buy cheap apartments, and for those citizens that have lived through the rot, we offer them jobs in shops.......... ?

Smashing idea.
    It might be smashing, but it's not my idea, and it's not answering the big question anyway. Where will the jobs come from? You might not know, and I might not know, but I've got an idea they will come from new people who are enterprising, and who are attracted to a vibrant, attractive city that is making the most of its assets. But I could be wrong.......

So, where do you think the jobs will come from?

Blog Entries

That is great news Kev, as it can only mean people are wanting to move back to the city. No-one owns it. Now all we need are more of them, and more of them who want to set up businesses and create jobs.
    It is and it isnt. Great news as you've mentioned about people wanting to move back but many ex liverpool residents who left on mass over the years to seek employment cannot move back.

I find it bizzare that in the middle of Park Rd and remember its Park Rd, not Allerton/ Woolton, there's hardly a 'scouser in the house'. On reception maybe.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

FKoE

There won't be any jobs.until we invest in education and opportunties...... These low paid shop jobs, how long before they are taken by the Poles do you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    You mean for like those enterprising people in Quiggins who started up businesses like 3 Beat Records etc.
    Yes! The city needs 100 more of them, no a thousand times more of that kind of creativity and energy. Not just in retail and music, but in all sectors and industry. While the city council is still in the old-mindset of not treasuring wealth creators, hopefully that can change?

FKoE

Yes! The city needs 100 more of them, no a thousand times more of that kind of creativity and energy. Not just in retail and music, but in all sectors and industry. While the city council is still in the old-mindset of not treasuring wealth creators, hopefully that can change?

Quiggens was'nt set up to create wealth, was it ?

There won't be any jobs.until we invest in education and opportunties...... These low paid shop jobs, how long before they are taken by the Poles do you think ?
    But there is huge investment in education now, and not just school age, but European money has funded countless vocational education and training courses in the city. A lot of the brightest go and don't come back, and you only have to go into any office in the south of England (in fact anywhere really) and you will meet university educated Liverpool people. There is always a little gang of scousers. Other cities manage to hold onto more of their brightest and best, but in Liverpool - while many remain - very many cannot. And with them, go the jobs and opportunities those people sometimes go on to create.

The problem is not supply, as you suggest, but demand - not enough real businesses with good jobs to offer. I agree it's important to keep investing more in education and training, but that isn't enough - it's also important to attract the real businesses and the real jobs.

And how will the city do that? At the moment, a lot of them don't come to Liverpool, and a lot of the people who create businesses wouldn't consider actually living in Liverpool. So I'm genuinely interested in where you think the quality new jobs will come from. Liverpool needs tens of thousands of good jobs, it's an incredible problem. That's why I get startled when people talk as though improving housing is more important.
    Last edited by Liverpolitan; 07-03-2006 at 09:19 PM.

Quiggens was'nt set up to create wealth, was it ?
    Neither was Microsoft or Apple probably. Creators are often not primarily motivated by money, they just have brilliant ideas and ambition and want to do things. But Quiggens has created wealth, and jobs, and businesses.

FKoE

You can't compare Quiggens an outlet for unemployed Merseyside artisans, to Apple or Microsoft ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast